Skip to content

New Keeper ??

When Gareth indicated that he has not finished strengthening his squad a few weeks ago, I would be really surprised if a loan keeper is not brought in to challenge/replace Allsop.
I fully expect to see a glovesman of notable quality arrive in the next week or so .

Comments

• It would be good for Rocky to have someone breathing down his neck

• Breathing down his neck?

I'd be looking for one who's streets ahead. What on earth would be the point of bringing in a goalkeeper of similar ability to the one we've already got?

There's a funny feeling brewing about this season, as though something special is happening against all logic and rational thinking. We got it in 2000/2001and we've got it again now.

Sometimes in life these opportunities present themselves and you've just got to take them. They don't come around that often.

Get a really good keeper in this week and the sky is the limit

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jordan Archer is surely on the radar?

• As Bryn Morris was in and out of our side during his spell here, and with our midfield options now far higher in quality, I cant see the point of bringing in a player that has been so injury prone in the last 9 months.
    Save the dosh for a decent keeper.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Not convinced Archer is necessarily an upgrade on Allsop. He was fine in his loan spell, but I think he’s had some difficulties at Millwall since then.

• @Chris said:
    Not convinced Archer is necessarily an upgrade on Allsop. He was fine in his loan spell, but I think he’s had some difficulties at Millwall since then.

Ummmm remind you of anyone though?

• Agree with Chris. Archer became a bit notorious at Millwall for making unforced errors and seemingly lacking concentration. I'd love to see Blackman back at Wycombe. Last I heard he'd broken his leg playing for Sheffield Utd, but that was about a year ago I think. Alternatively, perhaps Baz will let us have Matt Ingram, or is he second choice at Hull?

• edited August 2019

Blackman broke his leg playing for Leeds and is now listed among Chelsea's academy squad rather than the first team squad - would be a coup to get him back. I really like Aaron Chapman at Peterborough and he is transfer listed, but I suspect we can't be paying fees yet. Ingram is Hull's number two, but if we ask very nicely then Baz might do us a favour...?

• Sorry @Jonny_King, rather repeated your last point there!

• Targets are nice but I've never heard Ainsworth critical of Allsop. I think we'd probably still have Scott Brown if Vale weren't so keen to have him back.
    Blackman would be really great but if we aren't contributing greatly to his wages and they don't see him as being potential anymore we'd probably have to wait until they release him and hope we get in before everyone else.
    Also has he said recently we have any more £ to sprinkle round? (borrowed or otherwise). Thought that was pre Fred and Wheeler.
    Might be better seeing where we go and using any spare in January.

• @eric_plant said:

There's a funny feeling brewing about this season, as though something special is happening against all logic and rational thinking. We got it in 2000/2001and we've got it again now.

I sort of know what you mean, there really is a feel-good vibe around at the moment and I’m fighting to keep my optimism in check, but...

Bringing in logic and rational thinking (says the person who will keep predicting we lose on Devs thread until we actually do), despite the increase in the size of the squad I am pretty sure we have one of the lowest budgets in the league (which does appear to have a statistical theoretical influence on league position).

We have started brilliantly but could easily have lost to MK (but for Rocky) and Southend (lack of confidence on their part) and had a free hit of sorts with Bolton, so it could look a little less rosy.

However, we do appear to have the best squad we’ve had for years, we seem to have added a Plan B, C & D, we have amazing team spirit and one of the best managers in the business.

To be honest i’d be more than happy with mid-table obscurity this year. I hope/think we’ll achieve that but dream of maybe fighting for a play-off place and if we can keep that momentum and rub of the green we may get there.

But I think the point of this post is that if it is mid-table in 9 months time we should see that as a real achievement not tainted by disappointment.

• @bookertease said:

@eric_plant said:

I sort of know what you mean, there really is a feel-good vibe around at the moment and I’m fighting to keep my optimism in check, but...

Bringing in logic and rational thinking (says the person who will keep predicting we lose on Devs thread until we actually do), despite the increase in the size of the squad I am pretty sure we have one of the lowest budgets in the league (which does appear to have a statistical theoretical influence on league position).

We have started brilliantly but could easily have lost to MK (but for Rocky) and Southend (lack of confidence on their part) and had a free hit of sorts with Bolton, so it could look a little less rosy.

However, we do appear to have the best squad we’ve had for years, we seem to have added a Plan B, C & D, we have amazing team spirit and one of the best managers in the business.

To be honest i’d be more than happy with mid-table obscurity this year. I hope/think we’ll achieve that but dream of maybe fighting for a play-off place and if we can keep that momentum and rub of the green we may get there.

But I think the point of this post is that if it is mid-table in 9 months time we should see that as a real achievement not tainted by disappointment.

Like someone let the adults speak ?

• Good post bookertease. I take your point about games that might have gone against us, but we could/maybe should have won at Bristol Rovers and Fleetwood so it all evens out.

• Inclined to agree with @eric_plant and @ChasHarps but at the same time I think Rocky’s perceived shortcomings are magnified (ironically) by our attacking formations which sometimes leave us vulnerable on the break - as we saw on Saturday. The back four hasn’t totally gelled yet with the changing personnel but, as has been said elsewhere, they could do with a bit more cover from midfield.

Have to sympathise with Cameron Yates who must wonder if he’ll ever get his chance. Checkatrade maybe?

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:

@Chris said:
    Not convinced Archer is necessarily an upgrade on Allsop. He was fine in his loan spell, but I think he’s had some difficulties at Millwall since then.

Ummmm remind you of anyone though?

Yes - Ryan Allsop!

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Targets are nice but I've never heard Ainsworth critical of Allsop. I think we'd probably still have Scott Brown if Vale weren't so keen to have him back.
    Blackman would be really great but if we aren't contributing greatly to his wages and they don't see him as being potential anymore we'd probably have to wait until they release him and hope we get in before everyone else.
    Also has he said recently we have any more £ to sprinkle round? (borrowed or otherwise). Thought that was pre Fred and Wheeler.

Scott Brown? Heavens above

• @eric_plant said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Targets are nice but I've never heard Ainsworth critical of Allsop. I think we'd probably still have Scott Brown if Vale weren't so keen to have him back.

Got us up though @eric_plant , or rather Ainsworth got us up with him in goal.

• The latter I'd say!

• @eric_plant said:

On a par with Allsop though. Blackman (if his serious injury hasn't unduly affected him) would probably save us around 10 goals throughout the season.

• If we can get Blackman back it's a no-brainer isn't it?

• blackman one of the best GK I have seen playing for WW in years . I was also really impressed with Chapman ....but we wont pay a transfer fee

• @mooneyman said:

@eric_plant said:

On a par with Allsop though. Blackman (if his serious injury hasn't unduly affected him) would probably save us around 10 goals throughout the season.

Exactly, why on earth would we bring in someone on a par with Allsopp?

I'm still upset with Blackman for kicking the ball to Dele Alli at White Hart Lane but with him in goal for the season then play offs are a genuine possibility

• @mooneyman said:

@eric_plant said:

Miles off Allsop, Scotty Brown for me

• If we could get Bryn back on a permanent deal and a keeper plays offs could be possible !

• And pigs might fly @rmjlondon ! I’d be amazed if we signed Bryn Morris and very surprised if we signed a goalkeeper on loan whilst Rocky stays fit.

• Blackman would be an amazing signing, and really give us hope we can be players in this league.
    However, realistically, we'll stick with the guy we awarded a 3 year deal to last year.

• Ooh. That's painful to watch. The video didn't come from his agent, I assume.