Skip to content

Scott Kashket

After managing six goals in the 2018/2019 season in all competitions Scott Kashket had the highest match per goal rate with 6 in 36 apperences meaning one goal every 6 games. This was higher than anyone else in the squad.

At the end of the season seven players are released. Scott Kashket is one of three players to be offered a new contract. By the end of the month, Scott Kashket signs a three year contract extension with Wycombe Wanderers. I think to myself, "well that was coming but he needs to start more next season."

As a new season beckons Ainsworth now has 9 forwards he can choose. However, Kashket does not start in five league games. After the Fleetwood Town match I said to a friend, "I think Scott Kashket will go out on loan. I cannot see him breaking into the team." With nine fowards currently on the books for Wycombe Wanderers I did feel the little man did not stand a chance in breaking into this team. As we move onto Friday me and my friend work out who will start . He says "Ainsworth just won't start Kashket."

Saturday beckons. He starts. By the end of the match and just over 24 hours ago he only scores twice (one being a 93rd minute winner) and arguably should have had an own goal ruled in his favour.

Have we overlooked Scott Kashket? Yes. Probably because of his injuries. But I'll say it. He is one of my favourite players and one of our best. He should be starting every game possible. With now 25 goals in 75 games, he averages one goal every three games. He is prolific and I hope he gets chances to play more.

"SCOTTY KASHKET SCORES ANOTHER GOAL!"

Comments

• edited August 2019

0.59 per 90 as well - don't ask me to do the maths after yesterday, but it will have gone up and is extremely impressive. The reason we didn't see the best of him last season is because he was on the wing much of the time, but I certainly think he could play as the central striker in a 3; his movement's so good and elusive that he doesn't need to be physical. I'd overlooked him a bit - stupid really - but if he can stay fit then he could have the season of his career so far. Brilliant tracking back to almost cut out the Southend opener too - unfortunate that his touch poked it to their striker.

• @thedieharder - To get the best out of Scott he needs to partner Bayo. He is much less effective with Samuel.

• If Scotty stays fit and focused he could be one of the best strikers in League One. We are blessed with so many attacking options, but he is our most effective natural goal scorer. The fact that GA gave him a long contract at a time when he had to reduce squad numbers speaks volumes for the faith the manager has in him.
    Early days, but this promises to be an exciting season.

• Are you on at 20s for promotion @glasshalffull? 16/1 still available in places.

• Don’t want to jinx things and I’ll be happy with top half and more games like yesterday.

• Yes, 4-4-2, with Bayo, and he's first name next to him.

• Scotty looked stronger to me yesterday too. There were some crunching tackles on him that in previous seasons would almost inevitably send him off down the tunnel, but he was riding them, battling and getting straight back up for the whole game yesterday. That was the best performance I’ve seen him put in so far, fantastic player.

• The Bayo- Scotty combo is irresistible isn't it. Defenders so busy worrying about the big lad they miss the little fella ripping through them. Best natural scorer we've had in a long while. Since McGleish probably. Similar tenacity in chasing down too.

• Does he need to play with Bayo? I'm not so sure. If we were playing 442 then the Bayo/Kashket partnership is tried and tested. But given we only resort to that when we need a Plan B or C that's not going to be too regular an occurrence.

I think Scott is perfectly viable as a central striker in a forward three. With Wheeler, Smyth or Fred causing havoc on the wings and drawing defenders away, it's the perfect set up for Kashket's jinking runs inbetween the defence.

You get something very different from Samuel - in fact, with Kashket in the middle we can play almost an inverse 433 system.

Alex works best when we're playing long ball, holding it up, distributing it to the other forwards to go for goal. Scott works best when it's played on the ground, quick balls from midfield to the wide forwards and then onto Kashket to slot home. It means we can play two totally different systems... And then in both of them bring on Bayo for 20 mins of glory late on.

I agree with other posters though - Kashket... and Samuel... are both wasted as wide forwards.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Don’t want to jinx things and I’ll be happy with top half and more games like yesterday.

I’d fancy us to beat Blackpool and Coventry, maybe even Ipswich if we were in the play-offs come May

• Steady on, it’s still August and we’ve only played 5 games. Love your positivity, though.

• Just feel it’s a value bet - just as we were at 7/2 to win at Fleetwood (yes that late equaliser hurt)

• Have just watched a rerun of yesterday’s game and the confidence, skill and composure of Scott Kashket (plus his fitness and pace of course) are phenomenal. Only slight blemish, but as a result of bad luck, was when he got a toe in on one of the Southend attackers in the box after several teammates had stood off, only to see the ball deflected into the path of the 6’3” striker, Brandon Goodship (lollipop?) who scored 75 goals in 81 games for Weymouth over the last couple of seasons (according to the ever-reliable Wikipedia).

And Scotty Kashket is taller than Sergio Agüero.

• In the video showing the players celebrating at the end of the game Scotty could hardly breathe. Obviously had put in every ounce of energy that he had.

• @theanon how do you

• Apologies @drcongo. Was intrigued as to who the idiot might be. Now we know!

• @micra think yourself lucky your exile saved you from Thea Non and another nom be plume who made shortish visits!