Skip to content

Match day thread: Southend

Comments

• He is a good sub

• Joint top of League One and joint second in the EFL on goals scored (only Ipswich have more, and they got 5 of their 11 against Bolton).

• BIG question marks over the defending today, notwithstanding two brilliant strikes by their 7. But wow! Also, lovely to meet @ValleyWanderer and @drcongo before the game as well as @EwanHoosaami. Sorry I just missed you, @micra.

• We need El Abd back desperately.

• That was a ridiculous comeback!

And we can score 4, with no Smyth, Fred going off injured at half time, and Bayo coming on second half! Amazing.

• Well, that was fun.

Again.

• Another entry into the top Adam's Park games.

Humphreys was fantastic for them, albeit aided by the time and space we afforded him. He must have been knackered to have come off

Even at 2-3 though I fancied us to grab something. Sensational skill and composure from Freeman and Kashket so late on. What a team, amazing spirit and ability to turn that around as they literally had 10 defenders most of that game.

Still Sido/Thompson/Smyth to come back into the side, and a fully firing Fred.

My only concern remains the goalkeeping position.

Not the best game for JJ or Charles, I must admit El Abd's aggression was missed.

Just how good is Dom Gape?

• Must have missed it but why was Smyth out today? he was sat in the Beechdean and wasn't strapped up or hobbling.

• Hope Irish volatility hasn’t led him to step out of line. I speak as someone married for many decades to a very straight talking Irish Colleen!

• Freeman was superb today. I am officially in no doubt that he must start now

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Just how good is Dom Gape?

Too good for this league. His range of passing is just joyous at times and his ball winning ability is as good as anyone’s at this level. It’s so easy to be that kind of player and go unnoticed but I think all Wycombe fans know how lucky we are to still have him.

• I agree wholeheartedly but there are those who think he is less effective when starting games than when he comes on (as today) against a tiring defence.

• Assists like Freeman's shouldn't allowed on a football pitch. Absolutely outrageous. He is wasted on the bench.

• Perhaps Blooms can have a rest at Kingsmeadow.

• Dire game of football between two very poor teams today. We struggled to break Southend down and were lucky to claim three points today.
    The last 10 minutes was why we love football. This squad never know when they are beaten.

• @micra said:
    Perhaps Blooms can have a rest at Kingsmeadow.

Blooms looked like he needed a rest after an hour or so again.

• Throughout the first half I thought we were the better side and should still win, even at 2-0 down. There was a point in the second half where we looked like we were wilting in the heat, though the second wind we got right at the end carried us over the line.
    Fantastic spirit, and nice to give Southend a taste of their own medicine!

• @th100 said:

@micra said:
    Perhaps Blooms can have a rest at Kingsmeadow.

Blooms looked like he needed a rest after an hour or so again.

Indeed. To my old eyes he seemed to spend a lot of time running but rarely with the ball.

• Wow wow wow. We played badly (overall) today and still won. To be 3-1 down and come back to win 4-3 takes great mental strength and resilience- both of which bode very well for the future. What a fantastic afternoon! Only now have I fully absorbed the the fact that we won today. At 3-3 I was still concerned that we would concede. Today was the first game where we looked vulnerable at the back. Five minutes into the game, my son commented about how much we were missing El Abd and he was spot on as was @mooneyman. It’s not just his aggression though, it’s how much he communicates and organises those around him. Stewart (by his recent very high standards) had a stinker today, as was reflected in his celebration when he achieved personal redemption through scoring the equaliser. Charles was also poor, but the whole four soaked up the negativity that was oozing out of Allsop today with his indecisiveness.
    First half, Samuel was my MOM with doing what he does best. Thank goodness Kasket was given a starting place today. I said before the game that he had a lot to prove today and boy, did he deliver!!! He is our only striker who really knows (instinctively) where the goal is. We said at half time that the two changes that were needed was Freeman on for Blooms and Bayo on for Samuel. Not quite how it played out, but my goodness, what an impact they both had on the game, in their different ways. Freeman has to start now. It’s as simple as that. He is a class player, with fantastic ability to run at opposition defenders and we don’t have much of that quality in the squad (Fred being an obvious exception.)
    Only five games into the season and what a ride already. Third in the table!!! COYB !!!!

• PS - very nice indeed to give Sarfend a long overdue cold slice of revenge ?Results like today can play a big part in a season from a physiological perspective, and already I think they are candidates for relegation, despite the horrible position that Bury and Bolton find themselves in.

• No doubt Freeman is amazing going forward! However, watching the Fleetwood game - you can see why he is occasionally left out by Gaz, dwelling on the ball and not tracking back. Would like to see him given time to learn these things more often on the pitch though.

• Did anyone else feel a calmness during the second half that while we were only one goal behind we were always going to win in the end. Southend took their chances but faded badly in the first half and would do the same in the second.

Kashket's winner was a thing of beauty. Such a silky smooth pass, trick and finish.

That own goal was a cracking strike wasn't it? He ran from so far away to whack it in

• I think the squad did look tired today, kashket mom for me, Bloomfield good squad player but not a starter now. You can see how the strength in the squad will help this season, I can see us pushing for a playoff position.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    No doubt Freeman is amazing going forward! However, watching the Fleetwood game - you can see why he is occasionally left out by Gaz, dwelling on the ball and not tracking back. Would like to see him given time to learn these things more often on the pitch though.

I thought he tracked back better than usual against Fleetwood, and he dropped back on a few occasions to collect the ball, but I think that what he offers going forward more than compensates for that.

• edited August 2019

@TheOldMan said:
    the whole four soaked up the negativity that was oozing out of Allsop today with his indecisiveness.

He doesn't look confident at all at the best of times; it's his most worrying trait and not one that can be coached out of him.

• @Right_in_the_Middle has stolen the words I was going to use. A thing of beauty indeed. And not just Kashket's finish, but Freeman's assist,

• Just got back and what a game. At 3-1 down I started singing we're gonna win 4-3.....didn't look like we would throw this one away and what a come back. Thought our defence looked iffy, Charles didn't look fit and tools had same ish game v MK and not at his best but despite needing an el abd we still took it. Great scenes...this is why we follow, we follow etc. Freeman looked class when he came on and good to see scotty do what he does when given the chance.

Great day....except for running out of rebellion ipa after the game.....and then no ales on down the glass.....small thing and hasn't dampened the mood. Good to see Rob C serving rebellions in the tent before the game. Think this guy might deserve the 75% vote.

COYB!,,, great day.

• I thought Matt Bloomfield had a decent game.

I've said it

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Did anyone else feel a calmness during the second half that while we were only one goal behind we were always going to win in the end. Southend took their chances but faded badly in the first half and would do the same in the second.

Kashket's winner was a thing of beauty. Such a silky smooth pass, trick and finish.

That own goal was a cracking strike wasn't it? He ran from so far away to whack it in

Very much agree regarding the sense of calmness. Whenever it was within one goal I didn’t feel either set of fans had any doubt which way the result was going.

• @wwfcblue said:
    Dire game of football between two very poor teams today. We struggled to break Southend down and were lucky to claim three points today.
    The last 10 minutes was why we love football. This squad never know when they are beaten.

My goodness your take some pleasing, don’t you?
    I doubt if many Wycombe fans left Adams Park thinking they’d just seen a dire game between two very poor teams....personally, I thought 7 goals, most of the highest quality, and a last minute winner provided great entertainment and I disagree that we were lucky to claim 3 points. We were the only team attacking in the second half. Games like that should see the crowds flocking back to Adams Park.