Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

12346»

Comments

• Not sure why we wouldn't want to analyse the incident that cost us 2 points in injury time on Tuesday night, it's kind of in the moment and relevant...

I agree with your overall view of Allsop although across the 4/5 games so far he's done better than I expected based on last seasons performances.

• Or you could look at a player that on early evidence appears to have improved this season and conclude that he deserves our support.

• edited August 2019

I think Allsop is a reasonable keeper for us. His shot stopping is good and the mistake at Fleetwood wasn't too bad even if it would've been better if he'd caught it or palmed it to the side.

One thing I have noticed is the strange rapid steps he does before booting the ball upfield. I know some top level players do this thing in their freekick run up but it's a bit strange for a GK to do it. It has no impact on the power of his kick and must just be a muscle memory type thing when going through the long kick routine. I think it may indicate a nervousness in his character, perhaps if he could calm these nerves he would make fewer mistakes.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Not sure why we wouldn't want to analyse the incident that cost us 2 points in injury time on Tuesday night, it's kind of in the moment and relevant...

I agree with your overall view of Allsop although across the 4/5 games so far he's done better than I expected based on last seasons performances.

Yeah I suppose that's all part of being a fan. What I meant was that you can't make a judgment on a player from one incident in one game.

(before you reply, I know you know that)

• Analysing a player's errors and backing them are not mutually exclusive, and as long as you acknowledge the good stuff, what's the problem with criticising when necessary?

• Please see above

• @WildWestFC: the rapid stuttery short pace start to a run-up is something practiced by some fast bowlers in cricket. I assume it is designed to give them greater momentum and may be particularly appropriate for a goalkeeper when space prevents a longer run-up.

• @eric_plant said:
    Or we could stop analysing the minutiae of one moment in one game and take a view on players over a much longer body of work.

I think if you do that with Allsopp you conclude that we could do better. I'm certainly not saying that because he may or may not have made an error on Tuesday night.

As the kids say these days.... very much this! In fact I might as well shut up as eric has got this covered. (Very much his stopped clock moment).

It's not so much your prediction that I feel is absurd @glasshalffull, rather the timing of it. It feels a little premature, given that Fleetwood could be looking for a new manager by mid-October.

• @micra
    I'm aware that it can be used to good effect but I was watching Allsop doing it on Tuesday and it wasn't generating forward momentum. He did the stuttery start, slowed down, and then seemed to run forward. I may be completely wrong, but when used effectvely the stuttery start should be accompanied by some forward momentum.
    It seemed (to me at least) that with stuttery start was just copying something he'd seen on TV.

Anyway, I still think he's a good keeper for us.

• It’s an enigma @WildWestFC. I’ll be keeping an eye on it on Saturday.

• Could the stutters star be like "pigeon steps", smaller steps to ensure that the standing foot doesn't slip during the process? Bit like when we walk on slippery surfaces, we notably take smaller steps to improve balance.

• So it seems Allsop even fails to use stuttery steps properly.

• I believe it’s a result of the things they wear that measure every aspect of their movement. Apparently the ‘pigeon steps’ run-up adds around 1.54 seconds to the time it takes him to release the ball, thereby running the clock down so that we don’t let in last minute equalisers...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.