Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• Here's another angle on their goal...

• Looks even worse from that angle. As has been said, the conditions no doubt played a part, but that has to go down as a mistake.

• Could Phillips have done more to stop the cross going in?

• Great start to the season. It's becoming clear that the squad that the Couhigs' money has assembled is pretty much going to walk this league. Promotion to the championship would bring in easily enough cash to pay them back next june so let's use the players they've brought in to go up, vote to keep the club in the hands of the supporters, and pay them back out of our promotion windfall.

• edited August 2019

What happened here then (see comments)? Sounds like yoofs being little s***s.
  • I.love it when fans spend a whole game calling someone a c*** and then little tears spring to their eyes and they have to go off sobbing because the c*** tells tnem to sod off.

• Looking at the goal, no-one was goal side of Madden and JJ may have played him onside.
    The back four need to take some of the blame for allowing a free header on the penalty spot and not closing the cross down.

Allsop should have done better but he made some fantastic saves on Saturday to keep MK at bay, which resulted in us getting 3 points. As a keeper you always want the ball to bounce a yard or so in front of you or come to you on the full. That was a "Yorker" length which is very difficult to control or catch on 1st attempt.

He's made a significant improvement from last year from what I've seen and we should all get behind him!

• edited August 2019

A well written, excellent and to me at least, accurate post @Commoner.

• And for at least one goal on Saturday the defence let MK waltz into the box unmolested don't forget! Rocky is doing okay.

• @StrongestTeam , we were all disappointed, which is fine, but some people let it slip into personal getting after a player.

Players make mistakes. Bayo missed a sitter at the weekend, but luckily for him, it's forgotten as we won.
    When a keeper spills one in the 90th min, he unfortunately as no such luck!

We're looking a good outfit though.

• those were Fleetwood fans talking about their interaction with Alsopp weren't they?

• Quite agree @Commoner. Bit of a squeeze on the terrace though.

• I’m not quite sure what people that are calling alsopps save a mistake are expecting him to have done better?

Getting down and a hand on it was impressive as it was. From that point on where it went is another matter. Could have gone left, right or straight back out.

It’s was Alsopps mistake as much as it was the defenders mistake not reacting as quickly as the striker. Or making a clearing header.

• If all players were perfect all the time there would be no game as they (defence and attack) would cancel each other out. Football is about mistakes and how best to take advantage, or indeed recover when they occur. An away point at a good side is always a good return in my book.

• Well done Wycombe on another great result! What a great start to the season! Things are looking promising and exciting with some class players to chose from. I noticed at the Game on Saturday as well as what I am hearing from the game last night, that Wycombe are leaving big gaps in the defence. If they can sort this out, the season is ours! Come on Wycombe!!

• If Rocky was the perfect article he would have left Bournemouth for Man City. He isn’t and he didn’t. He came to us in a long deal. He found his level.

• He's the weak link in the side and we can do much better now there's a bit of budget available.

It's not that long ago that he had such a meltdown that we were forced to go into some crucial end of season games with a PT instructor in goal who looked as though he had never played football in his life.

Get someone in before the window shuts (top class loanee hopefully) and the sky's the limit.

• Good to see that posters (with one notable exception) are putting last night’s result in perspective. Even Alastair Campbell would know that Fleetwood won’t drop many points at home this season.

• Classic stuff. You wouldn't hear Frankie Boyle come up with one-liners of that quality

• edited August 2019

@TheDancingYak said:
    I’m not quite sure what people that are calling alsopps save a mistake are expecting him to have done better?

Getting down and a hand on it was impressive as it was. From that point on where it went is another matter. Could have gone left, right or straight back out.

It’s was Alsopps mistake as much as it was the defenders mistake not reacting as quickly as the striker. Or making a clearing header.

I don't like to get after a player, as everyone at this level makes mistakes.

But to suggest Allsopp was any way impressive in that situation is quite a stretch.

The less than bullet header is right at him, and he spills it straight out to the guy for a tap in.

It happens, just it's more gutting to happen so late.

• I’ve long been of the opinion that we don’t need, and GA is going to sign, another keeper. But, now we’ve got the budget for it, and GK is the only position without serious competition, I'm sure GA is looking.

• @Commoner said:
    Looking at the goal, no-one was goal side of Madden and JJ may have played him onside.
    The back four need to take some of the blame for allowing a free header on the penalty spot and not closing the cross down.

Allsop should have done better but he made some fantastic saves on Saturday to keep MK at bay, which resulted in us getting 3 points. As a keeper you always want the ball to bounce a yard or so in front of you or come to you on the full. That was a "Yorker" length which is very difficult to control or catch on 1st attempt.

He's made a significant improvement from last year from what I've seen and we should all get behind him!

The Yorker description is a great definition, when you have to react so quickly, you are unlikely to have 'soft hands' hence the ball bounces back out. The biggest mistake is the centre half being on the wrong side of the centre forward when the ball comes in.

• The video of Allsopp's 'spill' doesn't adequately reflect how much it had been raining and how slippery the conditions would have been, to the extent that a Fleetwood player fell over unchallenged and promptly went down the tunnel to change his boots while the game continued without him.

• I think he went off to have an injection in his foot so he could carry on

• edited August 2019

@perfidious_albion said:
    If Rocky was the perfect article he would have left Bournemouth for Man City. He isn’t and he didn’t. He came to us in a long deal. He found his level.

Spot on. He is a competent keeper for a League 2 or mid table League one side. If we have pretensions to be higher (with the finance to support it) then we should certainly be looking for another keeper to at least challenge Allsop for his position.

The only realistic way we could get a better one at the moment would be via a loan deal, à la Jamal Blackman.

• Instead of picking on a negative poi t in this game why can't people be talking about the huge positive - Darius Charles starting and playing very well by all accounts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49418865

• Struggling to think of a more likeable player we've ever had. He is truly inspirational

• edited August 2019

I'm already confident that we can rotate to little detriment. The real test will be if and when we're stretched by injuries, but what a squad! David Wheeler goes from game-winner on Saturday to my MOTM last night, the Beast comes in and does his thing, Nick Freeman is solid if not spectacular (for a change), and Darius Charles should be an inspiration to us all. I scrutinise a lot, but I love this team.

• @eric_plant said:
    Struggling to think of a more likeable player we've ever had. He is truly inspirational

I think there are plenty of candidates in the current squad - remarkable in what is often perceived to be a macho industry where intelligence isn't always valued. Huge credit to Ainsworth for bringing together such a likable bunch of players.

• @eric_plant said:
    Classic stuff. You wouldn't hear Frankie Boyle come up with one-liners of that quality

Good old Frankie, he’s long been a source of inspiration for my one liners. I love him really.