Just missing out:
Adam El-Abd
Jamie Mascoll
Giles Phillips
Matt Bloomfield
Jacob Gardiner-Smith
Craig Mackail-Smith

Other points:
I really don't see much weakness in swapping Grimmer for Jombati as another option for rotation or competition. Pattison may be the better option to start over Freeman, as out of the two, Freeman is probably more dangerous when the game is stretched as it tends to be in the last twenty. Lionel Smyth has started so well and Fred looks like he is going to score any time he gets the ball in the final third. Wheeler must be one of Wycombe's best players never to be guaranteed a starting spot. Bayo is still more effective for me then Samuel, but I'd love to see Josh Parker get a start at some point through the middle too.

What a squad (24 players) given our resources and the limited time we have had to assemble. A over stated point, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Craig Mackail-Smith depart. If Ainsworth can bring in a superior goalkeeper that would certainly help us push for the playoffs, although I feel Rocky is good enough to keep us in the division and I still rate him as league one quality. Out of the three loanees between the sticks: David Stockdale has only played in the EFL Cup, which ended with a three nil loss to Portsmouth. Matt Ingram obviously has just signed for Hull but again has not started a league game, I'd be surprised if he was allowed to come to us though. Stephen Henderson looks like he's accepted the good life by signing for Crystal Palace as third choice. I'd love to hear some loan suggestions for this position? I can't imagine it would be to hard to find a suitor for Rocky which would pay all his wages.

Poll not found

Comments

• Not sure what happened with the formatting, but never mind.

• Squad comparison is always fraught with difficulty, but the 2006/07 “League Cup” squad had some serious talent: Williamson, Antwi, Golbourne, Batista, Oakes, Blooms, Doc, Grant, Mooney, Easter, McGleish, Anya, Betsy... But maybe lacked a little in terms of back-up - some solid pros, (Stockley, Palmer), plus some promising youngsters (Christon, Gregory) and a couple of useful loanees (O’Halloran, Lionel Ainsworth). Proved to be an exceptional Cup squad with plenty of ‘big game’ players (oh for some similar ‘football fortune’ this season) but not consistent enough to be successful in L2.

• edited August 2019

Seems about right to me with the big If that they're all fully fit...especially Charles.

I'm hoping Wheeler Smyth and Fred become interchangeable so they can all stay fresh, add Parker and Kashktet to the mix as well and that's some serious depth.

Up front, it can just be a case of horses for courses with Bayo and Samuel, similarly in the middle, play Freeman when we think he'll be allowed to drift into the spaces and create , and Pattinson when the game will need more energy

• We don't have a best 11 and we don't need to.

• In my head the best squad we ever had was the last year in the conference, then the first 2 seasons in the league. Martin O'Neill's last 3 seasons basically.

That last season in particular we had some incredible results, and I remain convinced that had De Souza not got injured when he did we would have won promotion to the 2nd tier

• El Abd just missing out ??? not while GA has a hole in his arse and neither should he !!!

• Haven't seen enough of Charles to put him ahead of El Abd or Sido especially.

Pattison would be hard to leave out as well. Thompson coming back in would surely leave him able to concentrate on his strengths, breaking forward.

Would definitely put this squad as our best in the football league, not necessarily the strongest team, that was arguably the Gormania team - a lot more savvy in getting resuls over the line though.

• @rmjlondon said:
      El Abd just missing out ??? not while GA has a hole in his arse and neither should he !!!

Probably the most sensible and correct post you have ever made. El Abd if fit should be an automatic starter for his leadership skills alone.

• For a chap with 5 league starts, it does seem a bit strong to rate him above El Abd and Sido.
      He was "decent" from perhaps the 2 or 3 I saw him in, but I'd rate the others above that.

We'll see though,it'll be interesting how the squad is used.

• What a brilliant problem to have (at last) and be able to discuss.

• No way Charles should be in in front of El Abd... not until we've had a proper chance to see him anyway

• Also, from what I've seen so far, Pattison has to start

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    • GA seems to be happy to match his selection with the opponents and circumstances rather than having a 'best eleven.'

For example, tonight if El-Abd is out then Bloomfield has to start, regardless of whether Charles or Phillips plays next to Stewart. Perhaps Freeman will come in ahead of Pattison, free to roam ahead of Gape and Matty.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wheeler start ahead of Smyth either. and since @th100 has told us Fleetwood appear vulnerable to the long ball, perhaps Bayo too.

• I'm not sure Bloomfield or El-Abd has to start. They're not the only experienced heads in the squad, and experience alone doesn't justify selection. That said, there was only one league game last season that neither of them played in. Anyone as sad as me and know which?

• edited August 2019

Experience alone doesn't justify selection, but that's not the only thing Adam or Matt offer is it? This just feels like a game where you need someone who has seen it all before.

• Which one can best handle Joey in the tunnel?

• Bloomfield wont be dropped by GA especially with Adam out and away from home

• Surely Gape, Freeman, Wheeler, Stewart, Smyth and Grimmer have had enough experience by now?

• edited August 2019

@Wendoverman said:
      Surely Gape, Freeman, Wheeler, Stewart, Smyth and Grimmer have had enough experience by now?

Not sure about Smyth or Freeman - not that they're inexperienced, as such - but the others definitely have. Add Jacobson to that and probably Allsop.

• @Wendoverman said:
      Which one can best handle Joey in the tunnel?

Gaz gives the impression of someone who can handle himself if it all goes off, BUT, importantly is super composed enough to not get into that situation.

• I've said it before, I think we'll miss Bean and Tyson in those situations

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    • Another stunner from @rmjlondon at 4:28pm. You just know when Richie states anything with authority...

• So Richie is immediately jumped upon while @fame_46 (5.20pm) gets away with it completely.

3-0 down without Bloomfield, my arse. Behave yourself.

2nd para is total redemption, however...

• @mooneyman said:

@rmjlondon said:
      El Abd just missing out ??? not while GA has a hole in his arse and neither should he !!!

Probably the most sensible and correct post you have ever made. El Abd if fit should be an automatic starter for his leadership skills alone.

That Stewart and Charles combo looked incredible last night

• Good to hear @Bacon_Sandwich.
      Only downside is we now have several injuries (Grimmer, El-Abd, Freeman and ? Wheeler). Hope none are too serious.

• @Bacon_Sandwich. Reading back your opener.
      Just one question.
      Who is Lionel Smyth!!

• Freeman had cramp and Wheeler isnt injured

• Thanks @rmjlondon. That’s a relief. The live text (which I was reduced to when infuriatingly not sent a link to reset password) referred to a delay in the 4th minute of added time because of an injury to David Wheeler. An “injury” perhaps!
      Grimmer’s injury was described as a knock and El—Abd ........well, we’ll cope! So no real worries.

Can’t recall who very curmudgeonly criticised Darius Charles (potential MoM?) for not scoring with a header but the BBC report says he hit the post. Some people!