Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• The classic "would have taken a point before hand" job, but gutting in those circumstances!

• Sounds like an Allsop gaffe.

• It was really close to Allsopp and very wet on the surface by that stage. Not sure you can be too critical really

• @Malone said:
    The classic "would have taken a point before hand" job, but gutting in those circumstances!

On first reading that alarmed me @malone

• So tough to take in the last minute. But 8 points from 4 games, most of them from teams around us is a fine start.

• That was a howler, but he's been excellent this season so hopefully he remembers that and uses it to drive him forward. Better team and a great point, just should have been more.

• A shame, but... We are joint third in league one. We didn't lose a single pre season friendly, we haven't lost a single game in the league. 2 home wins, 2 away draws.... We would take that all day long. A penalty shoot out to separate us from a championship side in a cup match.... All is gravy baby!!!!

• Also - we have not been behind in any game yet!

• edited August 2019

The lesson for this week is the 90th minute can go either way. I would take home wins and away draws all day long.

• Very proud to be a Wycombe boy right now. Let's keep the faith and focus on the good! The very unexpected good!!

• Having seen the goal now I agree Allsop wasn't to blame on this occasion. Header is flashed at him from barely six yards in wet conditions. Harsh to expect him to hold that one.

• A FB post suggests JJ has scored straight from a corner but not given. Is this true?

• Hats (rain-proof preferably) off to the absolutely superb Darius Charles tonight. What a great reward for both him and the team to see him playing again and playing so well. Wonderful scenes.

• Southend on Saturday who have lost all 4 games so far. Can't see how that could possibly go wrong.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Southend on Saturday who have lost all 4 games so far. Can't see how that could possibly go wrong.

No - don't say that please!!

• Great start to the season. Unbeaten in all competitions (Reading was a draw) and not by luck. Fleetwood are one of the better sides and they’ve got some great players so to come away with a point has to be deemed a good result.

On to Saturday and hopefully we will not just beat Southend but get a few more goals on the board. Another clean sheet would be lovely too.

• Looks pretty close to a goal in that photo but who can say? A draw was a fair result - we scored a goal out of nothing when they were on top, and they got one during a period when they looked dead and buried and we were far more likely to score. A great point at a good side away from home in difficult conditions and with a patched up defence.

Very impressed with Pattison and Wheeler.

• Ha! Look at people almost falling over themselves to make feeble excuses for throwing away two points. It is a dreadful mistake from Allsop. It is a weak header directed straight at him. He will cost us again this season. Everyone knows there will be more of those coming.

The post-match spin operation is quite impressive. Alastair Campbell would be proud.

• Just as much spin to focus entirely on the negatives, isn’t it?

• A good old-fashioned GHE rant after a late equaliser. My faith in social media is restored...

Personally, I’m frustrated at Darius Charles’ header straight at the keeper with the whole goal gaping. But as it’s Darius I’m making allowances for a lack of match sharpness. However, when chances like that go begging at 1-0 up and cruising, you just know something’s likely to go wrong at the other end.

• This isn't a reaction to the mistake - I've maintained that we need a new 'keeper all summer - but I think bringing someone else in would, if nothing else, help continue to bring out the best in Rocky. But I know others see it very differently and even a loan GK is probably unlikely.

• *mistake, not howler

• Good point away from home thought Gape and Charles were are best players. I think Yates should get a chance in the checketrade atleast to see if he's any good, starting to lose patience with Rocky now problem is still has 2 years on his contract.

• I see the BBC report says that we ‘went for the jugular’ after going a goal up. Did we? Does that mean we didn’t sit back, time-waste, etc?

If so, really pleasing to see and I wonder if GA is more confident in the ability and strength of the squad than he has been since the play-off season.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:
    The classic "would have taken a point before hand" job, but gutting in those circumstances!

On first reading that alarmed me @malone

Whoops.
    Does remind me of someone posting a comment of
    "Any cash in hand jobs?" on the high wycombe group once.

The wags were queuing up to answer that.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Having seen the goal now I agree Allsop wasn't to blame on this occasion. Header is flashed at him from barely six yards in wet conditions. Harsh to expect him to hold that one.

Tough conditions but when your keeper spills one to a guy dead centre it has to go down as an errror. Simply has to.

Just the realities of goalkeeping unfortunately.

• Disappointing that even the extended highlights don’t include the Jacobson attempt direct from the corner.

• Am I right in thinking @glasshalfempty loves a bit of schadenfreude?

• Good to see the same people losing their minds on twitter about Allsop that were telling Jamal he was useless and should go back to Chelsea because he made one mistake. Clowns.
    Who thought we were buying anyone at all earlier this summer? We got 9 in, 9!! and some of them are great. Another goalie might be nice, as would a lottery win, Ainsworth clearly chose him and backs him and he's been fine so far. Don't think you can really even blame him for the goal, looked like it was fired at him from 5 yards in a monsoon and he made a save. Where they fall can be unfortunate.

Unbeaten..Think we would have taken that.