Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• edited August 2019

Now we have got a decent size squad of good players, I think the answer is rotation, particularly the weeks we are playing two games to keep the players fresh. Making early use of the subs as Gareth did on Saturday, is also essential to get the best out of the squad.

Rotation will also make it more difficult for the opposition to set up their team.

• @mooneyman said:
    Now we have got a decent size squad of good players, I think the answer is rotation, particularly the weeks we are playing two games to keep the players fresh. Making early use of the subs as Gareth did on Saturday, is also essential to get the best out of the squad.

Rotation will also make it more difficult for the opposition to set up their team.

Definitely.
    All a far cry from a few years ago.

Remember us turning up at Shrewsbury once, in the playoff season, for a second game in 3 days, and the alarm that we'd left Hayes and Wood (I think?) on the bench, when we basically had about 14-15 first teamers we trusted!

• edited August 2019

@Malone said:
    Charles over Sido?
    I'm not sure I've seen Charles play more than about 2 for us, but Sido looked pretty classy last season.

I'm thinking along the lines of having a balanced right-footed, left-footed CB pairing, and Charles was very impressive and commanding in the little I saw of him. I would have said Sido until Charles returned, mind you. We don't half have options, though!

• Sorry but Pattison is a step up from bloomy in my view and he's had more shots on goal since he arrived than the old soldier had for most of last season.And I'm far more confident that he will score at some point!

• @th100 said:
    Re. Alex Samuel's hold-up play:

He's arguably better in that respect than Bayo when you consider the fouls he draws. In all competitions so far this season, he's won 9 and committed 0. Bayo has won 0 and committed 11. However much injustice there is in the case of the big man, the contrast is stark.

If we ever play 2 up front with bayo and Samuel, those free kicks Samuel wins would be much more valuable

• Agree with you @Wendoverman. And I’ve discovered (about three years into ownership of this iPhone with the tiny screen) that rotating from portrait to landscape makes it almost impossible to hit the wrong thumb.

Bit of an aside now. In one match recently (Reading?) GA chose to make a triple substitution. When we were engaging in our usual little guessing game of how many minutes would be added on I went for five because of a stoppage or two and four or five substitutions but the guy next to me pointed out that a triple substitution only counted as 30 seconds (not a minute and a half). So not a bad move when clinging on for a draw (and penalties) or winning narrowly.

• we were worse when he made that triple sub !!!

• Is that actually the rule @micra , as while a triple sub wouldn't take as long as 3 separate ones, it'd still take longer than just the individual one itself?

Interesting (ish) if 3 separate ones disrupts the flow more though, so is more useful in seeing out time, despite the extra added on?Always better when we don't think of this sort of cynicism though.

• Im pleased to see so far this season the time wasting hasn't been in operation !!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Sorry but Pattison is a step up from bloomy in my view and he's had more shots on goal since he arrived than the old soldier had for most of last season.And I'm far more confident that he will score at some point!

You're probably right that Pattison has more attributes than Bloomfield but I'd play Matt ahead of him at the moment. I think you need another defensive-minded midfielder to accommodate Freeman, one prepared to stay back and let Nick do his thing, and Bloomfield is more likely to show positional discipline. Also with el Abd out and a young spine I think it would help to have a older, wiser head in the middle. And - this may be unfair - I thought Alex looked slightly out of shape on Saturday, only slightly but he was slow to a few balls. So all combined, it's Matty for me.

• @rmjlondon You didn't notice Allsop starting his run up / stuttering / waving to players / stopping / starting again / stopping / kicking imaginary mud off his boots / starting again, then? Or Grimmer filibustering like Rees-Mogg on steroids while debating with himself and the players around him whether to take a long or a short throw...

• @LeedsBlue , it can't be that often that a ref has to tell a home team to hurry things up 20mins into the game...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I might need to change my Fleetwood prediction to a defeat then. Always a kiss of death that.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @rmjlondon You didn't notice Allsop starting his run up / stuttering / waving to players / stopping / starting again / stopping / kicking imaginary mud off his boots / starting again, then? Or Grimmer filibustering like Rees-Mogg on steroids while debating with himself and the players around him whether to take a long or a short throw...

I did not notice too much of that at all...thought the game flowed really well with two decent teams.

• @aloysius said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Sorry but Pattison is a step up from bloomy in my view and he's had more shots on goal since he arrived than the old soldier had for most of last season.And I'm far more confident that he will score at some point!

You're probably right that Pattison has more attributes than Bloomfield but I'd play Matt ahead of him at the moment. I think you need another defensive-minded midfielder to accommodate Freeman, one prepared to stay back and let Nick do his thing, and Bloomfield is more likely to show positional discipline. Also with el Abd out and a young spine I think it would help to have a older, wiser head in the middle. And - this may be unfair - I thought Alex looked slightly out of shape on Saturday, only slightly but he was slow to a few balls. So all combined, it's Matty for me.

...as long as he's subbed on 50 minutes when he's not touched the ball for ten and looks like a terrible tackle is not far off...I can live with that @aloysius ;-)

• One last thing from Saturday: nice to see us taking a few short corners and actually trying to keep the ball. We're not great at it yet, but hopefully it's something that continues to be worked on.

• Did they continue with the short corner after Bayo came on @th100 ? (Assuming we had one or two at that stage!)

• If memory serves then I think they'd given up on them by the time Bayo was on having tried and failed with 3-4 short ones

• There seemed to be a plan for a short JJ pass to Bloomfield who passed it to Gape lurking just outside the area to unleash a shot. Tried it twice. The whole first half must have been strange for those who 'know what you're going to get with Wycombe' .

• You can’t always get what you want it seems.

• @Wendoverman If you spend too long in the cajun burger queue, you miss all the excitement of the ball being out of play...

But seriously - I'm in the "they all do it" camp, myself, and to be fair the game did flow better than most do at AP, but Allsop towards the end was almost 'goading' Kettle to wave a yellow at him.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @Wendoverman If you spend too long in the cajun burger queue, you miss all the excitement of the ball being out of play...

But seriously - I'm in the "they all do it" camp, myself, and to be fair the game did flow better than most do at AP, but Allsop towards the end was almost 'goading' Kettle to wave a yellow at him.

I have me dinner before I go @LeedsBlue so my eyes were on the game at all times. I was down in the corner at the final whistle so perhaps I missed the blatant referee baiting at the end! Although I noticed the usual...take it from here, ref? No I think I will walk on a bit' during throw-ins, I did not notice any clear cut time wastage.

• @Wendoverman My perception was the game being 'slowed down' after we'd taken an early lead in a 100mph start ( @Malone referred to the incident where the ref was gesturing us to 'hurry up' on around 20 mins as we seemed physically incapable of getting the ball back onto play from a throw.) Then, as most of the 2nd half was level, it took the form of 'normal' football with both sides trying to win. Obviously, the late goal gave Rocky carte blanche to see if Kettle would boil over. To be fair, at that point in the game, anyone would have done the same...

• Perhaps it was so exciting compared to some games last term my brain just ignored the time antics?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Perhaps it was so exciting compared to some games last term my brain just ignored the time antics?

Or you were suffering from crisp deprivation?

• @mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Perhaps it was so exciting compared to some games last term my brain just ignored the time antics?

Or you were suffering from crisp deprivation?

I was wearing the Walkers Cheese and Onion patches...

• edited August 2019

I went and wrote rather too much again for a breakdown of the game: https://chairboyscentral.com/2019/08/19/light-dark-blue-monday-wycombe-3-2-mk-dons/

• Brilliant @th100 ! I was waiting for this and think it is excellent value. Thanks again!

• @NorsQuarters Thanks! I can be a right cynic, but I tried to keep that to a minimum this time!