Skip to content

Sin Bins

Took in a Western League game yesterday. (Ok it’s not WWFC level but it does avoid 500 miles driving on chaotic motorways - opposition team from near Bath set off at 930 and arrived in Devon at 1450).

I wasn’t aware of this but FA has introduced a new rule in lower leagues of 10 minute sin bin for dissent. So when a lad moaned too loudly about a half way throw in, he got to sit down for 10 minutes. When he came back on, noticeable how his teammates told him to keep his mouth shut.

The young referee freed from the constant abuse had a fine game.

I suspect it will not be too long before rule makes its way up to higher levels. Good.

Comments

• It sounds like a really good, sensible idea - so there’s not a hope in hell that the EFL/PL/FA will bring it in to the higher levels.

• Andy Gray made a point that I'm sure Fifa have overlooked. When Kane and the City player both went for the ball in the disallowed VAR goal, it could have brushed either players arms accidentally, but it's not the same punishment for the same offence. City had the goal disallowed, but a penalty would not have been awarded against Spurs if that would have hit kane on the arm, but play on would have been the verdict.
    Utter madness.
    A suggestion for the Couhigs and the marketing team, Invite fans down to watch and celebrate goals without fear of the video beuracrats cutting short your joy. Maybe under the banner Var free football.

• Except @ChasHarps that's not a VAR problem. VAR is only assisting the referee in implementing what is an absurd new rule.
    If the referee had himself spotted it hitting the attacking players arm and blown the whistle would you still be blaming VAR, the referee or the new rule?

• But it is a VAR problem. If the referee had seen it in real time we would have said what an excellent spot and what a rubbish rule.

But he didn’t. The ONLY reason we are having this debate is that something viewed from 50 different angles and slowed down frame by frame allowed the great god of VAR to send down its commandment to the poor mortals stood around looking stupid.

No VAR. Goal stands. Ridiculous rule irrelevant.

• @ChasHarps , that is a decent point, but the fact is, it's two different rules.

It can't ever go to a situation where every touch of a hand is a foul, as cynical attackers would simply boot it at a defender's hand from 2cm away.
    That's why they brought in the bit about it's a handball if a defender is making their body unnaturally big - ie waving their hands around.

The one exception for me would be where it hits a defender's hand on the line - it might be accidental, or booted against them, but if the hand wasn't there it'd be a goal!

But it seems right to me that an attacking team shouldn't be able to benefit from a handball, accidental or otherwise.

• ps sorry meant to write about the actual thread title.

Sin bins - we tried that dissent punished with the free kick being moved back years ago, and it didn't really work.
    I wonder if sin bins would? All you'd get is teams being ultra cynical and negative and wasting the time. It'd also be tough to manage, and probably only punished if a player made a real song and dance of their dissent - similar to how it takes quite a bit to get a booking now for it.

• It could lso be argued that foreign players will get away with more dissent because the ref won't understand the language.

• @bookertease, if the referee hadn't spotted it, and correctly applied the new rule, we'd be saying we need VAR to see these kind of things so we can apply the rules consistently.
    It's a problem with the rule not VAR.

• Disagree @Twizz. Some people - and assorted talking heads on MOTD etc would be saying we need VAR - but I would bet good beer that most fans would say that football is a game to be played, officiated and watched in real time to obtain the optimum Game Day Experience*

*Most fans wouldn’t say it quite like that however, I would also wager

• I'd certainly sprinkle it with some cussing and invective.