Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• On a random note, Jason McCarthy has not even made a Millwall matchday squad in the league yet. What a waste!

• Interesting that, seems like the best deal we’ve ever had.

• I give you Dennis Bergkamp/David Wheeler

• not quite !!!

• edited August 2019

@Steve_Peart said:

@eric_plant said:

@Steve_Peart said:
    @drcongo, I think we were 2nd early in our first season at this level, 94-95.

Didn't we go 2nd after winning at the Manor Ground just after Christmas?

@eric_plant, I've had a delve and we went second after our Friday evening 2-2 draw at Cambridge Utd on 16 Dec 1994. We were third after out next match but went second again with the 2-0 win at Oxford Utd on 27 Dec. That was the high point. By mid-March were were 11th but eventually finished sixth, three points from the fifth place play-off place.

Further delving. The last time were were second in the third tier was 8 September 2000, after defeating Oxford United 3-1 at home on a Friday evening, in front of the cameras. That was our sixth game of the season, we were back to third on Saturday evening.

The last time were were third in the third tier was 6 October 2000, after defeating Notts County 3-1 at home, our eleventh game of the season. So we held that position until the following Saturday, 14 October.

There is an excellent historical league table generator here, for any date : https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/

• Some Milton Keynes fans are suggesting we should / may get a fine for not displaying their name on the scoreboard between FA / terrace. Why do they think they are so special? That’s been broken for yonks for longer than they’ve been in existence. (Maybe)

• edited August 2019

Used the @Steve_Peart generator to look at the Lg1 table ten years ago today.

3 now in the Premier League
    5 in the Championship
    6 in League One
    7 in League Two
    3 In the Conference

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-one/18-august-2009/

• @Gary said:
    Some Milton Keynes fans are suggesting we should / may get a fine for not displaying their name on the scoreboard between FA / terrace. Why do they think they are so special? That’s been broken for yonks for longer than they’ve been in existence. (Maybe)

“No-one likes us, it bothers us quite a lot really.”

• Comparisons between our players and legends of the game I've seen so far this season:

Smyth and Messi
    Freeman and Zidane
    Stewart and Maldini
    Wheeler and Bergkamp

What's next?

• I'm led to believe that the scoreboard underneath the new TV screen will be taken down and used to make the other unit fully serviceable......watch this space!
    On the other hand,it should be noted that the TV screen is now fully functional and an impressive piece of kit. Keep up the good work ..... and long may it last!

• @Gary said:
    Some Milton Keynes fans are suggesting we should / may get a fine for not displaying their name on the scoreboard between FA / terrace. Why do they think they are so special? That’s been broken for yonks for longer than they’ve been in existence. (Maybe)

Are they suffering from a persecution syndrome?
    They had brand new fuck off screen above their heads, how embarrassing

• edited August 2019

My only gripe with the new screen is that the text is too small. It's difficult to read the time, especially at night, from the other end of the ground, unless you have 20/20 vision or a pair of binoculars. Adverts on the bottom are pretty much unreadable to me, which are what pays for the screen.

• @Steve_Peart said:

My only gripe with the new screen is that the text is too small. It's difficult to read the time, especially at night, from the other end of the ground, unless you have 20/20 vision or a pair of binoculars. Adverts on the bottom are pretty much unreadable to me, which are what pays for the screen.

Agree. Even fairly low down the home end part of the frank adams it's not the easiest to read, even with decent eyesight!

• @Gary said:

There’s no minimum amounts for referring to the other side and there were plenty of references to their (purloined) name in the program and by the announcer unlike at AFC so it’s a big fat f..k off to that idea

• I don't think Bolton was up thereon the scoreboard either was it?

• Can't wait for the next opposition view on Ringing the Blues.

• Just glancing through the MK forum (okay I know) I did rather like this from their ‘sum up the game in six words’ thread:

“Greedily proportioned striker changes the game.”

Spot on (and amusing)

• edited August 2019

Re. Alex Samuel's hold-up play:

He's arguably better in that respect than Bayo when you consider the fouls he draws. In all competitions so far this season, he's won 9 and committed 0. Bayo has won 0 and committed 11. However much injustice there is in the case of the big man, the contrast is stark.

• @Steve_Peart said:

So the guy with the binoculars yesterday that someone mentioned was trying to get a better view of the scoreboard, not the dancers, then? Phew.

• Actually I was using binoculars yesterday, but not to watch the dancers! I bring them to most games, I like to see who is in the boardroom seats, and what's going on, on the benches, as well as action on the pitch. I wish I could lipread.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What yesterday shows is that Bayo is a fantastic impact sub to bring on after about 70 mins. Wheeler and Freeman should both be starting though.

• Agree with @fame_46 we were missing a vocal captain at the back yesterday. El Abd and Charles are willing to shout at other people but none of yesterday’s back 4 seem the type.

• Stewart and Charles would probably be my preferred two, shame they're the two most injury prone.

• I thought I was a long way from the last penalty given, way up in the FA stand at the Valley End, but looking at the highlights I think I was closer than the referee

• @th100 said:
    Re. Alex Samuel's hold-up play:

He's arguably better in that respect than Bayo when you consider the fouls he draws. In all competitions so far this season, he's won 9 and committed 0. Bayo has won 0 and committed 11. However much injustice there is in the case of the big man, the contrast is stark.

Very true, but you don't get any headers won, or defenders papping themselves and having to double up.

Samuel must be black n blue after games though, the amount of times he's smashed all game. I'm always in awe that he's available to play and so mobile every game after!

• @th100 said:
    Stewart and Charles would probably be my preferred two, shame they're the two most injury prone.

Charles over Sido?
    I'm not sure I've seen Charles play more than about 2 for us, but Sido looked pretty classy last season.

• @aloysius said:
    What yesterday shows is that Bayo is a fantastic impact sub to bring on after about 70 mins. Wheeler and Freeman should both be starting though.

Who would you lose out of Smyth and Fred to get Wheeler in? Or could we play all three?
    Or play one off Bayo/Samuel? Although that'd leave Freeman out - not that he's yet in! Decisions!

• It's a real headache but I'd probably swap Smyth for Wheeler. I think a midfield of Gape, Bloomfield and Freeman in front, then a front line of Fred, Samuel and Wheeler would be my current first choice. Then bring on Bayo and Smyth for the last 20 for a classic little/large combo up against a tiring defence.

• @aloysius said:
    It's a real headache but I'd probably swap Smyth for Wheeler. I think a midfield of Gape, Bloomfield and Freeman in front, then a front line of Fred, Samuel and Wheeler would be my current first choice. Then bring on Bayo and Smyth for the last 20 for a classic little/large combo up against a tiring defence.

Smyth has seemed to burn out a little midway into the second half, but he's a real irritant, has scored, and won us a pen in just the 2 home league games so far, I'd be loathe to leave him out right now.

Bloomfield over Pattison? Not sure about that one. While I need to be convinced Pattison can score - as he hasn't in his career yet looking at Wiki, his energy is huge.