Skip to content

Leaving the ground early

It happened again yesterday Would really like to know why people do this on regular basis when the result is still doubt. Desperately trying to get my head round this practice.

Comments

• I agree, it's fascinated me for years. It demonstrates the level of commitment they have as 'fans'. It's one of the things that the Couhigs will need to try and change to make the club a success.

• edited August 2019

Why not just shut the gates until it's over? Half the time the early leavers would be thankful anyway.

• I am joking, partly.

• When Alan Smith was manager, I left early on more than one occasion.

• When Tony Adams was manager I never wanted to arrive.

• I admit i go to the corner for the last five and any extra minutes for a quick getaway but stay until final whistle!

• That's understandable Wendoverman I have had to do that occasionally when I had to be some where else by a certain time but it's never the same as enjoying the post match moment with Gaz and the team. I know one chap ,lovely guy ,who leaves 10 minutes from time every game without exception. Why bother coming? Never seen any body leave a film early or even a concert.

• Have never left any match early and never will. Can understand the occasional instance of family logistics etc necessitating early departure but not systematically and absolutely not when your team is roundly losing.

• Pretty well the only game where I've left early was the FL trophy against Shrewsbury think it was 5 0 when we left and 6 0 when we got to car. But fully understand people not wanting to wait 30+ mins to get out of car park.

• No still don't get it why come to the game and go when the result is in doubt. Obviously there are some people who need to drive right to ground but if the get away is an issue park a mile or so away and walk with an added bonus that it's good for you to put one foot In front of another

• I think we should put up big screens in the car park showing the game that turn to green lights (as in Formula 1) as soon as the final whistle blows.

That would provide good post-match entertainment

• @Watford_Blue said:
    Pretty well the only game where I've left early was the FL trophy against Shrewsbury think it was 5 0 when we left and 6 0 when we got to car. But fully understand people not wanting to wait 30+ mins to get out of car park.

We were with you for that one Watford_Blue. I think it was 0-7 before we'd left the car park.

• Left the Huddersfield 0-6 before the end, but my cat had died earlier in the day so I'd had enough basically.

Guy near us, fan for 50+ years, leaves on 85 mins every game. The goals he's missed even in the last 2 seasons is ridiculous.

• Without a valid letter from your Mum anyone leaving early should be banned from ever coming back.

• Never understood it, even if you do have to wait, what are you so desperate to get home for.

• @Keith_Allens_Wig said:
    Never understood it, even if you do have to wait, what are you so desperate to get home for.

A promise!

• Interesting thread and I have to agree about being mystified by the practice of leaving before the final whistle. The same applies to people going to buy food or drinks whilst the game is in progress.
    By the way, I’m not trying to underplay the difficulties of getting away from Adams Park, but I go to grounds all over the country in my job and it’s a nightmare trying to get away from any ground.

• Leave early / don't leave early - no issue really.

• I had a season getting a lift from a chap who parked in the disabled section which used to be right under the away stand - so he made us leave early - we missed about 8-10 goals that season I'm certain.

But I also sometimes did it the other way - playing football, and getting dropped off to see the last 30-40mins! Obviously most of those games there were no goals after I arrived.
    Ultimate sod's law.

But generally, the leave early - to get home types, I wonder why they don't just not come - then you're already at home!

• I only come for the beer and the crisps!

• Leaving a game early is one of the joys of life.

Just walking off down Hillbottom Road with no good reason has been a tradition of many Wycombe fans since the late 90s.

• Fine, but the sheer numbers doing it, still totally baffles me.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Fine, but the sheer numbers doing it, still totally baffles me.

Sheep?

• Left early at Stockport when we were 0-5 down on 60 minutes

0-6 by the time I got back to the car

Playing in a monsoon and stand was leaking everywhere

• Sometimes i lije to get in the ground 30 mins before kick off, leave after 36 minutes and return on 76 minutes, then leave 14 minutes after the final whistle

• A friend of mine left Brentford after about 25 mis a few years back (we were 2 or 3 down) and went to one of the nearby pubs. He told me that there were about 20 other Wanderers followers in their when he arrived.

• I left Gateshead before Scotty scored the winner in '92

No-one's ever going to beat that I'm afraid, unless they left Filbert St before the end

Although come to think of it, didn't some fans leave Selhurst Park to catch the train?

• That might have been the year when I entered the Royal Oak with about 15 minutes to go and thought they were holding a committee meeting of the HW Sunday Comb in there!

• Southend supporters walking down Wembley way with two minutes still to go surely win the stupidity prize here. Why would you do that?

• @Dev, a guy with us "didn't do" pen shoot outs, so left before them!
    Probably a wise call the way it panned out!