Skip to content

Game Day Experience...

Comments

• Why not set a different football skills challenge every season and let a talented young footballer of either gender take it on at every home game.
    Something like quickest from the centre spot to the goal without the ball touching the ground free next season ticket for the winner

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    Why not set a different football skills challenge every season and let a talented young footballer of either gender take it on at every home game.
    Something like quickest from the centre spot to the goal without the ball touching the ground free next season ticket for the winner

This is exactly, exactly the sort of thing we should be doing, even if the skill suggested here sounds rather difficult. I'm sure sure whether Neymar could even manage this without a few attempts.

• @A_Non_E_Mouse said:

@BuckinghamBlue said:
    Why not set a different football skills challenge every season and let a talented young footballer of either gender take it on at every home game.

This is exactly, exactly the sort of thing we should be doing, even if the skill suggested here sounds rather difficult. I'm sure sure whether Neymar could even manage this without a few attempts.

You could add a time penalty for touchdowns. Another idea was convert 3 penalties through a hoop with a sprint to the centre circle and back quickest time wins

• Just catching up on this (long) thread....wow. So here goes.
    @Steve_Peart I whole heartedly agree on Roadhouse Blues, I woke up this morning and got myself a beer etc. Great stuff.
    As for cheerleaders at AP my own view is in the past it's been a bit lost on the crowd who at best have been disinterested and worst have chanted nasty stuff as has been mentioned here. Having
    Iived in the US for many years I see US sporting events as hugely different than our traditional Saturday afternoon football, it's about glamour, razzmatazz etc. They wouldn't be able to even comprehend a terrace shouting abuse in unison at opposing fans or cheerleaders etc. In the US it is seen as "entertainment", they don't have, or have very few away supporters and so the fierce and vocal rivalry that we see at all levels of footie doesn't exist and this leads to a "nice day out" rather than something that we MUST do every Saturday.
    I'll go with an open mind today though and see how it plays out, if in front of the family stand then as previous posters have said it might go down great, probably less so if in front of the terrace but I will applaud their efforts and I'm sure they put in a lot of hard work and time and so fair play to them...even if it isn't really my cup of tea.
    As long as we get three points and the rebellion is flowing freely I'll be happy. COYB!!!!

• edited August 2019

"I know my dad liked it. That's why he's sat down now."

From our stadium announcer on the cheerleaders' performance. Bit of a weird thing to say?

• @th100 said:

From our stadium announcer on the cheerleaders' performance. Bit of a weird thing to say?

Also “making some family members and old men uncomfortable”.
    To be fair the Swans are good at what they do (as long as you are ok with that).
    And it is ‘glass half fulls’ b’day according to the announcer so maybe that was his pressure for unquestioning loyalty?

• @BuckinghamBlue said:

I like this idea, especially with a season ticket for the winner. I’d watch that.

• @th100 said:

I bet it felt less odd in his head than how it sounded!

• Went to the game today from Norwich to enjoy the ‘ new match day experience’. Went to the shop to buy my 5 year old grandson a shirt. Got the shirt but then had to queue for nearly 30 minutes to pay. Missed my pint. Only 2 people working and seem to be handling a whole raft of queries. I saw people looking at the merchandise, then looking at the queue and walking out. How much revenue walked out of the door. Instead of the Americans prattling around the edges, eg the Dancing girls, concentrate on what makes money. Suggest they employ them serving in the shop!!!!

Enjoyed the game and the result but not sure I like us seeming to run down the clock from very early on in the first half. The young centre half certainly looks a bit light weight.

• The ref certainly first got us to hurry up on a throw about 22mins in!
    The young lad has potential and athleticism, but leapt into a few aerial challenges, where his more experienced colleagues would have held off. I don't know if it affected Stewart, but he looked less strong than his start to the season as well.

• edited August 2019

Matt Cecil wasn't happy about the comments regarding the cheerleaders, so I'm sure that will be nipped in the bud. The wolf-whistling from the terrace was disappointing if inevitable. All in all, though, I don't think we need them, but are they 'contracted' for the season?

• The girls handing free stuff out seemed to think they would be there every week. Hope someone has a word with the announcer who seemed to add a slightly sleazy edge to it all with some of his comments.

• @th100 said:
    Matt Cecil wasn't happy about the comments regarding the cheerleaders, so I'm sure that will be nipped in the bud. The wolf-whistling from the terrace was disappointing if inevitable. All in all, though, I don't think we need them, but are they 'contracted' for the season?

Which comments was Matt not happy about? The comments on here?

• I couldn’t tell if announcers comment about the cheerleaders and his dad was more sleazy than cringeworthy or visa versa oh and he kept calling the game the “Bucks derby” so let’s just leave it at He had a bad day.

• @NewburyWanderer nah, the ones over the PA

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    The girls handing free stuff out seemed to think they would be there every week. Hope someone has a word with the announcer who seemed to add a slightly sleazy edge to it all with some of his comments.

There was something slightly sleazy about the chap with the binoculars in the front row of the Frank Adams for that matter. Our friends, a couple in their twenties, were baffled by the commentator, taking his remark about his dad sitting down to be a crass 1970’s style innuendo and totally out of place in the modern world. I hope Rob and his team take note that If we have have to have cheerleaders, and I’m not convinced, then at least have them showcasing athletic and artistic skill not simply use them as a vehicle for retrograde crassness to appeal to the baser instincts of some of our supporter base.

I doubt there’s thousands of new supporters on the cusp of coming who for some reason have failed to show up each week for decades. And even if there are, cheerleaders alone won’t do it. My view, for what it’s worth, is that we will not substantially increase attendance unless we can get friends and families of existing supporters through the gates. And as such we need to provide an experience to cater for a diverse range of wants and needs beyond decent football. I recall a baseball game I attended where there was a room showing cartoons for kids who weren’t interested in the game. Could we do the same during the match? Use one of the bars, charge a few quid per kid to break even on the entertainment and staffing meaning that parents who don’t come because the kids don’t like it can get to a game? And then spend a few more quid on food and drink pre and post match with their kids as well as an extra ticket sold?

• Still they streamed out of the car park at 2-2 - will they ever learn?

• @Onlooker said:
    Still they streamed out of the car park at 2-2 - will they ever learn?

There's more chance of people not driving up hillbottom road into the mass exiting crowd!

• Genuine question as I wasn’t there yesterday (working in Sunderland): what was the overall impression of the cheerleaders? Did those posters who were critical of the initiative feel that their views were vindicated or that they had been too negative?

• I didn't go as it was MK Dons but given that the club's media manager has felt the need to apologise for the unsavoury commentary of the match day announcer then I'm not sure it was an unqualified success

• While good at what they do, they didn't add anything to the occasion and, where I was stood at least, most people didn't seem particularly interested. The bigger issue was the inappropriate comments over the PA, as has already been mentioned.

• @glasshalffull - I personally don't got to a football match to watch teenage girls in ultra short skirts dancing. I appreciate that it may improve the game experience for a few of our supporters, but I would suggest it is a small minority.

• @mooneyman They definitely weren’t teenagers!

• Basically they came on did a bit of a turn and left. A few people looked up and they received the a polite but sparse round of applause, some of the very young kids in the family stand enjoyed it but would have probably preferred Barney the dinosaur . The announcer who has been fine pitched it wrong.

• No problem as such with the dancers, though I barely paid them any notice, but the announcer just came across as creepy and leery. My fellow old gits thought it was some grim throwback to the 70s or 80s and the teenage lads near us said it was 'cringeworthy'. If we are to have them every week, let them do their thing without the sleazy uncle comments.

• Shame the commentator thought he'd try and be funny, as aside from that it was fairly uncontroversial - as with the pee wee footy at half time half the crowd ignored it, and carried on with what they usually do, and half watched with obligatory polite applause.

No idea how long their act was pre match as I hadn't arrived, but it can't have been more than about 1 song and 5mins at half time.

Someone said they're a local troupe, rather than what I initially thought, that they were some well known outfit in their world, who tour. Even better - less cost!

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    No problem as such with the dancers, though I barely paid them any notice, but the announcer just came across as creepy and leery. My fellow old gits thought it was some grim throwback to the 70s or 80s and the teenage lads near us said it was 'cringeworthy'. If we are to have them every week, let them do their thing without the sleazy uncle comments.

Agreed. The announcer got it completely wrong on this occasion.

• edited August 2019

Was that the same announcer that made a quip a couple of weeks ago that someone celebrating their 69th birthday would be happy as that was their favourite number? Hopefully not too many kids asked their parents what that 'joke' was about.

• Thought they were good in what they did ,fairly non contoversial. The Tannoy guys comments were stupid and inappropriate . Someone needs to have a word and remind him it's 2019

• As far as I know, the announcer isn't an employee of the club. I'm not sure how long he's been doing it, because we used to have someone else - at least doing the team, sub announcements etc. - who I'm pretty sure was a volunteer.