Skip to content

Game Day Experience...

Comments

• Can't we get Derek Adams up to do a dramatic half-time reading of MacBeth? He is unemployed, and it would be hilarious.

Or, have Marcus Bean back to recreate his goal, complete with Usain Bolt sprint.

• In reply to an earlier post.

Fast exit car park system. The big one. A start would be to stop cars coming up Hillbottom Road 10 minutes before the final whistle. Somehow create a preparation between cars and pedestrians to at least 2/3rds of the way down Hilbottom Rd.

Shorter waits for better food and drink. #1. I had a burger on Tuesday it was considerably better than anything in recent years.

Modern bathroom facilities. #2. Its a football ground, I have been to Luton, no complaints from me.

A decent sound system. #3. It was noticeably better on Tuesday night.

Replays on the score board. #4. Replays were shown on Tuesday, I suspect they are not allowed to show anything contentious.

More comprehensive coverage for the club on BBC 3CR. #5 I have no idea as I very rarely listen to 3CR as I struggle to get a decent signal.

Until these are all sorted anything else is window dressing.

I am ambivalent regarding the cheerleaders, it just seems a little risky in this PC world.

Finally I am very concerned over the debt we are acquiring whilst building what could well be the best squad we have had in a very long time.

The vote whenever it comes will be Hobsons choice.

• Personally, the only time I've ever enjoyed myself at Adams park was when Ronald McDonald came and saved the half time penalties. Proper sport.

• edited August 2019

Half time parachute drop, parachutists landing in the trees, 2nd half kick off delayed waiting for the last guy to land in the centre circle. The manager storming out of the tunnel to give the general manager a right old public bollocking on the pitch.....now that’s entertainment.

• I doubt curmudgeons like me are the target audience, but this is a bit on the tin-eared side in relation to general trends in society moving away from that sort of thing.

• It's a few cheer leaders who are probably super hyped up at the opportunity at performing on a fairly big stage.

It's not a bunch of seedy strippers from that West Wycombe dive.

Cheer leaders are huge in America, so probably not outrageous that an American owner thought it's a good idea.
    See how it pans out.

• edited August 2019

But @Fit2drop, your point on Hillbottom road is spot on.

Every game someone is totally caught out, and you see their panic driving into 1,000s of fans walking at them! Must be a stress situation.

Presumably it's as simple as the club don't have the authority to affect a public road, and access needs to be kept open for emergencies (and businesses down there - although I always worry when some massive arctic lorry steams down there on a match day!)

What would really speed up the exit from the ground would be stopping all the 100s of cars outside on the sides of roads all individually pulling into the flow.

However, again the club probably can't legally affect this.
    Even busses don't seem to have any priority. Parking the bus at the end of the road was a great idea when the first stop was the park and ride at the top of Marlow hill, but not so great if you are old/young and can't walk far.
    Also, now the park and ride is the last stop, the bus has to go the slow way in all the traffic anyway.

• Beyond embarrassing. Next we’ll have beauty pageants, a black and white minstrel show and a page 3 stunner in the match day programme.

• @drcongo said:
    Beyond embarrassing. Next we’ll have beauty pageants

With Mr Parry judging and awarding the winner with her crown!

• Not a great look for the club in my opinion. Can't believe this sort of nonsense is still being peddled in 2019. @Jonny_King sums it up perfectly for me.

The fanXperience website claims they'll add 'a touch of class'.

Jesus wept!

• This may seem a bit extreme but why not just stop using the grass field for parking?

Use the lower car park for officials/match day staff/disabled etc and make it known to visitors that there is no match day parking available at the ground.

The club has no authority over Hillbottom Road because it’s a public road so nothing can be done to stem the flow of traffic on match days.

The fact that the stadium was built at the end of an industrial estate with one access road was completely ridiculous and very short sighted. If nothing else it’s frankly quite dangerous having a few hundred cars leave that car park and weave in and out of a few thousand people walking down the street.

As an alternative, big up the park and ride, maybe include it in the match ticket? Surely this would be a hit with away fans coming off the motorway. Work with bus companies and improve the service from the train station and the bus station in town.

Maybe arrange bus services from surrounding towns like some other clubs do. Aylesbury/Princes Risborough etc We should do more to encourage the use of public transport and car sharing.
    Why not engage with more of the businesses in Sands and the local areas in terms of utilising their car parking spaces.

It doesn’t work having a few hundred cars trying to leave that stadium after a match and never will, god only knows what it would be like if we reached the Championship and averaged 8k a week..

• I very rarely park at the ground itself because my experience is that it takes an age before you start to move and then longer creeping forwards. Only Oxford is worse.

To sort this would be a great move forward. Perhaps a way of lessening the problem would be to give more people more reason to stay in and around the stadium after the match - using the screen - using the food and drink outlets - car park ticket worth a discount in store after the game.
    Is there any other company who would be willing to open their car park on match day a little further from the ground at a £2 or £3 rate and spread the load.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Personally, the only time I've ever enjoyed myself at Adams park was when Ronald McDonald came and saved the half time penalties. Proper sport.

You’ve been a supporter this long, and that’s the only time you’ve enjoyed yourself at Adams Park? There’s no pleasing some people! ;-)

• Was there ever a time when Hillbottom Road was one way after matches, or have I imagined that?

Bit tough to expect the Couhigs to have solved a 30 year old problem in a few months.

• Best half time entertainment..... against luton town when the late Ray Wilkins played a one off game for us. A wycombe youth team vs luton youth team, players would start in the centre circle and try to score past opposing keeper really entertaining........

• Has building a second road ever been seriously explored?

• >
    Perhaps a way of lessening the problem would be to give more people more reason to stay in and around the stadium after the match

>

Maybe that's part of the Couhig's next planned Americanisation step with the cheerleader troupe: to have them provide a post-match bikini car wash service outside the beer tent in the car park and keep the "lads" and sad old blokes hanging around a bit longer.

• Hover cars would solve all this.

• Seems to be about 40 years behind the times for all sorts of reasons and is set up to be an embarrassment A one off I feel and they will put it down to experience ( some people can't be told we tried it before and it failed they have find these things out themselves ) Are bringing back the parachute jump for a future game? Suggest we invite Saint Martin back as guest of honour for that one?

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:
    good grief, how embarrassing

Why is it embarrassing?

Scantily clad teenagers dancing around in front of a crowd full of middle age men has never felt right to me. But if that's your bag fair enough. Each to their own.

• Sort out the kids penalty shoot out so that's it's a little more competitive and get bodger to wear a fat body suit and big boots. It's not right to see bare flesh on a mascot. Those are the big issues that need sorting.

• BRING BACK THE FAT SWAN!

• Bodger v Bluey death match, with those inflatable crossbars they used to have on 'Gladiators'?

• @Fit2drop said:

More comprehensive coverage for the club on BBC 3CR. #5 I have no idea as I very rarely listen to 3CR as I struggle to get a decent signal.

I listened to some of the excellent Bolton commentary at the game on old fasioned fm radio on my phone. Crystal clear and no internet or DAB delay. Think it was on 98fm. Phil Catchpole has said all games should be on FM.

• @Jonny_King said:
    Has building a second road ever been seriously explored?

I don't remember seeing it on the record in print, but I believe that a road round the back of the ground to West Wycombe Road has been discussed in the past but has fallen through because the Dashwoods wanted to build houses along it, which they weren't going to get planning permission for. Without that, they wouldn't countenance allowing the road to be build on their land.

Putting any sort of scheme in place on Hillbottom Road is difficult as it's a public road and would require the intervention of Bucks County Council and/or the police. Seeing as they are seemingly powerless (or can't be arsed) to stop hauliers dumping trailers on the road on match days, getting anything organised looks like an uphill struggle. If the Couhigs can get BCC and TVP to do something to sort out the chaos after matches, that would be no mean feat.

• @Jonny_King @ReadingMarginalista I offered up this very question to the guy who does The Wanderer, when he was asking for questions to be put to Rob. But then I forgot to get a copy of said fanzine at the Bolton match so didn’t see if it was included, and if so, what the answer was. I had thought the original objections were largely financial, so I wondered if the Americans might like to help out in that way to provide the largest single matchday experience improvement for many people, and the magic pathway to the holy grail of significantly increased attendances.

• What a surprise, the usual suspects pour the usual scorn on a harmless attempt to add a little entertainment to match day at Adams Park.

• @Malone said:
    It's a few cheer leaders who are probably super hyped up at the opportunity at performing on a fairly big stage.

It's not a bunch of seedy strippers from that West Wycombe dive.

Cheer leaders are huge in America, so probably not outrageous that an American owner thought it's a good idea.
    See how it pans out.

Thank goodness that someone can put things into perspective.

• I am that guy @LeedsBlue! I'd forgotten that you asked that and it was indeed put to Rob and he did provide an answer, but i can't remember what it was (I rarely read the finished product until about a month later as I usually want/need a break from it).

There will be more copies on sale prior to Saturday's game if you still want one.

• @glasshalffull said:
    What a surprise, the usual suspects pour the usual scorn on a harmless attempt to add a little entertainment to match day at Adams Park.

What a shock, Alan Parry towing the party line whilst having a go at supporters at the same time.

Don't be surprised to see him claim in a few years time he was never in favour