Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @floyd said:

Still no sign of McCarthy or PCH featuring for their new clubs

Interestingly the match preview of WBA vs Millwall said that McCarthy was not injured.

• That’s quite unusual in itself isn’t it to state who isn’t injured? It’s almost a kick in the teeth!

• i would imagine McCarthy is currently going through a thorough de-Wycombeising programme before he slots into his position.

• They've already got a first team right back, it might be annoying that they can nick our best players to fill their squad but that's the reality. The numbers depend on what is free when you join, we'd get loads if grief if we kept shifting them about making people's shirts wrong.

• Didn't we have Andy Lonergan on loan at some point, he's now Liverpool's back up goalie for a while.

• McCarthy starts for Milwall tonight

• Is Andy Lonergan the first ex player to win a european medal?

• Kenny Swain with Aston Villa ?

• Neil Lennon won a runners up medal

• edited August 2019

Reports that Russell Martin's family - including his kids - were verbally abused at Kingsmeadow on Tuesday evening. Despicable if true.

• AFC v MK Dons....no excuse, but that fixture must have a lot of bile around it.

• The thread that follows that tweet is pretty spot on re. the whole AFCW - MK situation and how both sides need to work towards some kind of resolution.

• You think people should stop referring to them as The Franchise?

• Ha! I feel like if MK dropped the 'Dons,' it would at least start the healing process. As for calling them a franchise, it's what they are and if they're serious about 'expressing remorse,' about what happened in 2003, they'll stop being upset when referred to as such.

• This thread is fast becoming the one for Saturdays game rather than ex-players but I’ll continue the deviation.
    Whoever stores the ‘We are the old Bucks boys’ banner / flag, surely Saturday is the game to have it unfurled. In fact we should have it flying from one of the flagpoles as a welcome out by the gates

• Three things Franchise need to do, in order to be considered a 'normal' team...

1) Renounce and hand back all their history as 'Wimbledon" (check)
    2) Renounce their EFL status and drop down to the bottom level of the pyramid and start properly from scratch as per the Aldershots, and, errrr, Wimbledons of this world
    3) Drop the 'Dons' part of the club name.

Without these things they can't be taken seriously amongst the footballing fraternity, but unfortunately they think because they've done (1) then everything should be forgiven and they can just carry on as normal.

No amount of 'truth and reconciliation' programmes are going to rectify the basic problem of Franchise stealing an EFL place illegitimately in 2003 and subsequently failing to surrender it.

(Thread derailment complete. DevC would be proud...)

• Oddly if anything I'm going to "boycott" the afc game as I don't want to go to South London to that awful stadium again. There's only one Dons though. Abuse is unacceptable of course and i feel bad for kids brought along to see their local club as many Wycombe fans were, but come on, grown adults supporting MK and calling themselves Dons fans??

• @LeedsBlue , do MK Dons claim things like Wimbledon's 88 cup win as their own then? Or the top flight history?

Obviously you know for certain number 2 couldn't happen.
    Number 3 is more likely in comparison to number 2, but I dare say they're way too deep in to make such a big change.

Agree with @StrongestTeam , the worst away ground in the football league. Very difficult to find a decent view in what has to be the shallowest terrace ever built. Yes it's a non league ground, but still!

• MK call themselves the franchise, they have appropriated it, so would be a bit odd not to call them it.

• At the very least, drop the "Dons" from their name.

• @OxfordBlue , who does? The club? The supporters?

• @Malone said:
    @OxfordBlue , who does? The club? The supporters?

Their supporters.

• Maybe their little sect of supporters that are the equivalent of ours who chant about us being timewasting bastads?

• @Malone I believe they did originally, but under pressure from AFCW they ‘handed over their history’. Not 100% sure how all that worked, but I remember watching some report about it, and how AFCW had to work very hard to make that happen.

Or I could’ve dreamt it all...

• I think that's right. They relinquished all 'claim' to Wimbledon's history and handed over things such as the replica FA Cup and other artifacts. I think in return the MK Dons supporters' group were officially recognised by the FSF.

• Charlie Owens signs a new contract with QPR

• Erm....https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49369915 Lonergan could be playing at the weekend

• Jason and Paris left out by their new clubs again.

• Paris is injured.