Skip to content

"Derby" Quiz

In view of the "derby" match today and Richie's description similarly of Saturday's game, here is a little quiz.

1) can you name in distance order (nearest first) the five closest current league teams to Wycombe Wanderers (ranked by closest practical driving route)?
2) In our FL history, has that top five ever been different ?

Comments

• 1) 1. Reading
    2. Oxford
    3. Watford
    4. QPR
    5. Brentford

2) I reckon no.

• Is the trick Spurs playing at Wembley?

• incorrect th100.

• Fulham, Chelsea, Brentford, Watford, QPR

• No Twizz.

• Closest by time or distance?

• Watford via Rickmansworth is several miles closer than Oxford.

• remember what teacher told you - read the question. distance.

• Pure guesswork...
    1) Reading, Watford, QPR, Brentford, Fulham.
    2) When Barnet were in the FL, they would have been 3rd, pushing Fulham out.

1. Watford
    2. Reading
    3. Oxford
    4. QPR
    5. Brentford

Yes, when Barnet were in the League...

• edited August 2019

We have a winner - partially anyway.

According to the RAC, the order is indeed Watford (21.0m), Reading (23.9) Oxford (25.7)
    QPR (28.3) Brentford (29.0). Fulham Chelsea and Arsenal in that order are all closer than MK.

In terms of changes, Tottenham if you count their time at Wembley would have come in fourth. Barnet while at the Hive were fourth but not in the top five when at Underhill. And the one nobody mentioned, Oxford at the Manor Ground were closer than Reading until they moved. (Elm Park Reading did not alter Readings position in the table.)

yes I should get a life.

• With the aid of google maps I make it

Adams Park to:
    Watford FC 26 miles
    Oxford United FC 26 miles
    Reading FC 27 miles
    QPR FC 28 miles
    Brentford FC 30 miles

Wembley Stadium 28 miles (Spurs)

• I suspect Google maps is still taking you the quickest route not the shortest route, @chris. E.g. Reading via M4 is 41 mins 27 miles. Reading via Henley is 54 mins 24 miles.
    Similar goes for Watford, quickest (in theory) via m25, shortest through Rickmansworth

• So we are surrounded, and it is near enough true that if you go much more than 13 miles in any direction you reach a point where there is another FL club closer.

How lucky are Plymouth?

• To be fair works both ways @railwaysteve.

Plymouth have a huge catchment area for supporters, albeit much of it pretty lightly populated.

However they have a massive issue attracting players. Every summer we have a large pool of players to target released from clubs somewhat in the vicinity who can come play for us without the disruption of moving home and their family. Plymouth don't. Players know that at the end of their time with us there are perhaps 30 clubs, higher and lower than us that they can move on to without again moving their family. Plymouth don't. They have a big player attraction issue as a result. The thought of a 100 mile coach trip just to reach Bristol every other weekend must be something of an offputter too.

• Also underlines the stance of BBC Sport who insist we are a London (area?) team and allow BBC South/Oxford etc. to skip our results. I live near High Wycombe so don't choose to do London (local) TV. Very annoying to constantly see MK Dons shown on BBC South as THE Bucks team.

• BBC TV wise we seem to fall between stools for all news London rarely covers us neither do the South which I tend to watch as it seems a bit more local but again not much news about Wycombe , Football and otherwise

• How can we change that? Lobbying?

• @DevC said:
    We have a winner - partially anyway.

According to the RAC, the order is indeed Watford (21.0m), Reading (23.9) Oxford (25.7)
    QPR (28.3) Brentford (29.0). Fulham Chelsea and Arsenal in that order are all closer than MK.

In terms of changes, Tottenham if you count their time at Wembley would have come in fourth. Barnet while at the Hive were fourth but not in the top five when at Underhill. And the one nobody mentioned, Oxford at the Manor Ground were closer than Reading until they moved. (Elm Park Reading did not alter Readings position in the table.)

yes I should get a life.

I make Luton closer than the empty stadium outside Bletchley as well

• @Mr67 said:
    BBC TV wise we seem to fall between stools for all news London rarely covers us neither do the South which I tend to watch as it seems a bit more local but again not much news about Wycombe , Football and otherwise

I'm convinced Three Counties Sport sometimes forget about us...

• @Wendoverman said:

@Mr67 said:
    BBC TV wise we seem to fall between stools for all news London rarely covers us neither do the South which I tend to watch as it seems a bit more local but again not much news about Wycombe , Football and otherwise

I'm convinced Three Counties Sport sometimes forget about us...

Much better than they used to be. They keep saying that they'll cover us more if more people interact with the programme, send texts etc, which I do whenever I can.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Also underlines the stance of BBC Sport who insist we are a London (area?) team and allow BBC South/Oxford etc. to skip our results. I live near High Wycombe so don't choose to do London (local) TV. Very annoying to constantly see MK Dons shown on BBC South as THE Bucks team.

That’s a bastard because (living in Newport Pagnell) we get them contaminating our screens too. Apparently we are in East Anglia for TV purposes. ‘All the local news where you are’. Ie mostly Norwich!