Skip to content

Reading match thread

Comments

• I’ve always rated Stewart. A few factors to consider re his brilliant form at the start of this season beyond his maturing reading of the game:

• he is fully fit, first time for a while, long may it continue.
    • whilst I also love Sido we need to acknowledge the experience, guidance and leadership of El- Abd playing alongside him.
    • he is settled, now a senior pro in the dressing room, important for a shy chap. The head turning Crawley episode and the Morgan crew influence now long forgotten.
    • he is happy, not just that winning smile, he got engaged during the summer break and his home life and faith seem to suit him.
      This is your season Tools.
  • A midfield of Gape, Pattison and Freeman is a more gung-ho approach than GA normally favours, but Saturday's game feels like the right time to try it out.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    I’ve always rated Stewart. A few factors to consider re his brilliant form at the start of this season beyond his maturing reading of the game:

• he is fully fit, first time for a while, long may it continue.
    • whilst I also love Sido we need to acknowledge the experience, guidance and leadership of El- Abd playing alongside him.
    • he is settled, now a senior pro in the dressing room, important for a shy chap. The head turning Crawley episode and the Morgan crew influence now long forgotten.
    • he is happy, not just that winning smile, he got engaged during the summer break and his home life and faith seem to suit him.
      This is your season Tools.

Agree on all that, except it was Crewe, not Crawley!

• He didn't need El-Abd's guidance or leadership out there last night, looks quite capable of stepping up to that role himself.

• Just watched the highlights. Dom's penalty celebration was perhaps a little premature but it did make me laugh.

• Stewart was fantastic last night and has been across all three matches this season. Unusual to see him play midweek too as Gareth has often left him out on Tuesday nights presumably to wrap him back up in cotton wool for the following Saturday. Fingers crossed he stays fit.

Similarly, hard to believe that was Giles Phillips' professional debut last night wasn't it? Imagine what he'll be like when he's got 20 games under his belt. Pacy, strong, good in the air, good on the ground, decent footballer.

Four decent halves for the season ahead, never a bad place to be.

• @Malone said:
    Does Smyth's year loan have a recall then?
    I thought you couldn't recall year jobs? Only monthly ones?

I'm only going by what some posters have saidon here in authoritative tones that QPR still have the right to pull him in January. Glad to be proved wrong!

• edited August 2019

@Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:
    Does Smyth's year loan have a recall then?
    I thought you couldn't recall year jobs? Only monthly ones?

I'm only going by what some posters have saidon here in authoritative tones that QPR still have the right to pull him in January. Glad to be proved wrong!

They might well be right, but I hope not.
    Wheeler would make more sense if Smyth could disappear midseason, having seen what happened last year when the loanees departed!

• I don't think anyone can state authoritatively what the terms of the loan are unless they've seen the contract.

It is my understanding that year long loans can have a recall clause in January, but this can be blocked by the terms of a contract, if both clubs agree to it.

• Whatever I'm really pleased that we have a team full of attacking options and hopefully we will score a hatful of goals to stop even the most Plymouthy of opposition fans moaning about 'watching that every week.'

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I assume everyone's seen that Reading's 'reward' is a trip to Plymouth?

• @th100 said:
    I assume everyone's seen that Reading's 'reward' is a trip to Plymouth?

Yep - if ever there is a "oh well" reaction to what we could have "won"

• I stand corrected OxfordBlue, yes of course Crewe not Crawley.

• Loan spells may/may not have recalls but they must fall within a transfer window. So loans are in effect between 1 or 2 transfer windows.
    There is no longer the possibility to recall a player at a time outside of a transfer window.
    The terms of a season long loan must state if a recall in the mid season transfer window is possible when the loan is registered.

• A player can be recalled outside the window but only if there's an agreement between all three parties - so we should be alright on that front!

• @th100 said:
    I assume everyone's seen that Reading's 'reward' is a trip to Plymouth?

Hahahahahaha

• That's the best we've played a League game for many a moon. Really high tempo and excellent performances across the board.
    I'm curious as to what Wheeler, Fred and Bayo had been asked to do? From the 70th to 85th minute they were in some strange positions and it invited the Reading full backs onto Mascoll and Grimmer. It seemed to put an awful lot extra workload into our midfield 3. It was a very narrow 4-3-2-1 and when it was 4-3-3 Bayo was on the left!
    Fred and Wheeler seemed to go a bit wider then for last 5 which was when we got back on top.
    I found it strange...
    I agree with a lot of other posters, Freeman needs to start in place of Bloomers in that midfield 3. I'd also even be thinking about Mascoll as a genuine option if MK have a quick right winger...

• league cup*

• I wonder if we'd decided their right back was particularly weak or something, putting Parker on the left when he as on as well.

• Their right-back is a central midfielder by trade, so that might have had something to do with it.

• really was an excellent game and so impressed with our new left back, technically really strong and pace to burn ....JJ for his work cut out to be our 1st choice LB. stewart was absolutely brilliant last night...our next star !!

alsopp seemed to be more commanding apart from on a couple of occasions. we really do have a great squad and really optimistic and excited by the season ahead !!

• Great performance and great atmosphere. Great to hear Sweet Caroline sung by both sets of supporters. Get the words on the screen for our younger supporters. Great song

• @Wanderers82 I doubt Mascoll will be starting against Franchise, he looked shattered with 10 mins to go (understandable for his professional debut).
    I thought he had a decent game, got into it more as the game went on until it caught up with him. His pass selection was a bit off to start with but improved, could be a good option to deal with quicker wingers that JJ might be vulnerable to.

Still waiting for the first 'Mascoll is better than Yashin' chant from the kids on the Valley End...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'd expect JJ and El Abd to come in for Mascoll and Phillips, and Bayo and Fred in for Kashket and Parker. Genuinely think Freeman might have done enough to keep his place

• @eric_plant said:
    I'd expect JJ and El Abd to come in for Mascoll and Phillips, and Bayo and Fred in for Kashket and Parker. Genuinely think Freeman might have done enough to keep his place

I would expect so also....samuel will also be replaced my Smyth. blooms will.come in for Freeman , dont think he should but he will .

• Bayo still not 100% feeling lethargic with a chest bug so he says on Instagram, may be a bench start again.

• I know it's late in the day, but here's a breakdown of the game if anyone's interested. Probably goes over a lot of what's been discussed but in a bit more depth - that's the aim. Will do one for every game assuming I've been at it/been able to watch it back. Still honing the format and whatnot, but here it is (the title works much better on a Monday): https://chairboyscentral.com/2019/08/14/light-dark-blue-wednesday-wycombe-1-1-reading-2-4-on-pens/

• Excellent stuff there @th100, enjoyed the read.