Skip to content

Reading match thread

Without wanting to step on @BSE’s toes, here’s tonight’s line-up

Comments

• Not at all @floyd much appreciated! i have cut it rather close today I got caught up at work this evening, as the saying goes "here's one i made earlier".

• 17 years earlier I assume!

• Any comments from those at the game? My iFollow audio is not working. Any of the new players impressing?

• @Shev said:
    Any comments from those at the game? My iFollow audio is not working. Any of the new players impressing?

They have just fixed it, try again

• Anthony Stewart..... my goodness. He is absolute class. Joy to watch

• Thanks @StrongestTeam - it's actually a signal problem. My desk at work is a dead zone, annoyingly!

• @Shev said:
    Thanks @StrongestTeam - it's actually a signal problem. My desk at work is a dead zone, annoyingly!

Ok, was broken as well, lots of Dalek noises. Looking good at half time apparently, kids looking lively

• Stewart, Mascoll and Freeman impressing for me

• Good performance. Not great penalties but never mind.

Thought Mascoll and Phillips looked very capable deputies indeed, if a little over ambitious at times. Not so sure about Parker, who didn’t seem match sharp.

After looking a bit shakey for the first 15 mins we grew into the game. Excellent press all over the pitch and really penned Reading back at times. Once in good positions we do lack a bit of quality in the final delivery.

Stewart and Gape are playing absolutely brilliantly. Well deserved goal too for Samuel who must be an absolute nightmare to play against.

All in all, the first three games have reinforced my confidence that Gaz and Dobbo have built a team well capable of having a fine season.

• Great summary from @Glenactico and also endorse what @eric_plant said about Stewart. Without Bayo for 70 minutes, we did play some good stuff on the ground. Good to know that we do have a Plan B

• How good were Gape and Stewart tonight?

Great to see Phillips and Mascoll looking so assured too against higher level opposition, and Freeman's skill and ball carrying was better than anything Reading offered going forward.

Very unlucky not to go through, but make no mistake this is the best squad we have had in a long, long time.

• I really am becoming more and more convinced by the “Freeman must start” argument. With Gape and Pattison so energetic, he can provide some class and creativity. In centre mid rather than wide please

• I agree, you probably should have gone through. While we missed chances, you also had some great ones.

We looked like a team that didn't know eachother and while it wasn't our first choice defence, out manager needs to get a grip of how to play away or well struggle again.

Good luck for the rest of the season. Hope you do well.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    I really am becoming more and more convinced by the “Freeman must start” argument. With Gape and Pattison so energetic, he can provide some class and creativity. In centre mid rather than wide please

I would wear a 'Free Freeman' shirt at this point. He is pure class!

• Thanks for the reports, encouraging reading.

• Thoroughly enjoyable game and we more that matched them (agree about being a bit shaky for the first 15 minutes). Freeman and Stewart were pure class tonight. Tellingly spent much of the first half in the centre of the pitch which I think is his strongest position behind the front 3. He absolutely must start from now on - what else does he need to do?
    Very well taken goal from Samuel. Phillips and Mascell also showed real quality. What a strong squad we have all of a sudden! Onwards to the Franchise.

• Freeman or Zidane?

• Yes grounds for optimism great performance with some impressive displays by the newbies roll on Saturday

• Really entertaining game, excellent display by our boys, good atmosphere and proof that we now have an outstanding squad. Agree with comments about Stewart, a class act. Roll on Saturday.

• Due to geography and work, had to listen on BBC Berkshire and commentators were saying that bigger clubs must surely be watching Stewart. Interesting to get that view from a neutral source.

• Thought that 1-11 we played very well tonight. Allsop pretty good and very unlucky for their goal. Both full backs didn’t give much at all to Reading and both look athletic and strong. Phillips looked very good aswell, perhaps a few times a bit too keen to rush out and win the ball but it worked well tonight. Stewart was class. Midfield 3 had great balance with Gape never stopping harrassing their midfield and linking play well. Pattinson I think looks excellent, box to box, strong quick and seems to get better as the game goes on such as his energy. Freeman was great first half, so positive always wanting the ball, perhaps his final shot let him down a few times tonight but that will come with more game time. Felt he tired after 70 mins or so and didn’t get involved as much and wasn’t as positive and penetrative when he did get the ball but nether the less very good performance. Front 3 did well. Kashket quiet in the first half but had more threat in the second half having a shot well saved and one narrowly wide. Parker was solid, good in the air and provided a great whipped corner for the goal. Think he will only get better the fitter he gets. Samuel for me is probably my favourite player, works so hard and seems very humble. Doesn’t win loads of headers but always is a nuisance causing defenders to head out off play or make mistakes, and throughly deserved his goal today. Fred looked strong off the bench, Wheeler will get better with more mins and Bayo who was quiet when he came on but hit the bar right at the death and almost won it.

A great game of high quality, shame we didn’t go through but really really happy with both the desire, work rate and skill we showed today. Think we will do well this year.

• The only negative I can see from tonight is the lack of 'Football Fortune' for us but thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining. Can't go on Saturday unfortunately.

• Very enjoyable. Parker seems to be good at heading it and the closest there is to Bayo in that regard. Didn't quite get why he was wide. The plan B style will only get better as GA works on it with the new players

• One of the best performances of the night was the referee....outstanding.

• Darren England will be a premier referee within 2 years

• Not really on board with the 'Freeman must start' argument. Think although industrious, he's too slow and ponderous, delaying play with an exaggerated step-over rather than moving the ball quickly.

• edited August 2019

I agree with @MBS and @rmjlondon it was really nice to see a flowing game for once