Skip to content

Wycombe v Reading preview

A look ahead to the first cup action of the season and what we might be up against: https://chairboyscentral.com/2019/08/12/the-chairboys-central-preview-wycombe-v-reading/

Comments

• Interesting write-up @th100.
    Reading will inevitably be a pot pourri of youth and experience including perhaps the likes of Charlie Adam and the former Inter man whose name I’ll not attempt to spell. Wycombe will inevitably be a pot pourri of youth and experience including perhaps the likes of Bayo Akinfenwa and the former Exeter City star. It’s no secret that I am an admirer of Nick Freeman. I look forward to seeing him in the starting lineup.

• I think 'pot pourri' needs to come into wider usage in football speak.

• Some would say it stinks. Not a term I’d normally use - I must have come over all precious. That bloody witching hour thing.
    Better turn in. Dog due at vets at the ridiculously early hour of 9.15.

• Good night.

• Good morning @micra, I hope your dog is ok and hasn't caught 'pot pourri'!

• Reading fan here. If I was our manager, I would play what he believes is our strongest 11 (fit). Due to poor running of the club and bad management appointments, which has all now been rectified we've have a port couple of seasons.

Started off this season with two defeats, which have been unlucky if truth be told but when all of our new signings gel, we're confident of a good season but they need to start gelling soon.

My best 11 would probably be as follows allowing for injuries.

Rafael

Yaidom
    Moore
    Miazga
    Richards

Pele
    Rinomhota

Boye
    Ejaria
    Meite

João

Subs
    Puscas
    Swift
    Morrison
    Virginia
    Olise
    Adam

• That line up looks like one of those made-up XIs that pop up on here from time to time. Pele, Moore, Puskas, Keith Richards, Taylor Swift...

• Good luck with some of those names @bluntphil ! But I agree with @Chris - a lot of them have a “made up” look.
    Hope they don’t gel too well.

• edited August 2019

Andy Rinomhota has had a somewhat eventful summer: Zimbabwe wanted to call him up for the AFCON, but he wasn't willing to renounce his British citizenship.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Good morning @micra, I hope your dog is ok and hasn't caught 'pot pourri'!

Morning @ValleyWanderer. He’ll be 13 in December if he’s “spared”. Slightly older than me. He had a comprehensive examination and blood tests plus a thorough dental examination in the course of which the delightful vet asked me if I could smell his (minimally malodorous) breath. With my well-known tendency to quip spontaneously and sometimes inappropriately, I did well to stop myself saying “I thought it was you”. The size of the bill (so far) soon knocked the smile off my face.

• @th100 said:
    Andy Rinomhota had had a somewhat eventful summer: Zimbabwe wanted to call him up for the AFCON, but he wasn't willing to renounce his British citizenship.

Had not heard of that. He was born in Leeds and born and bread British.

He's a fine player too. Zimbabwe must have been dreaming.

• Can’t beat British bread @genome although I do love a croissant.

• Focaccia for me.

• Is Accia Irish perchance?

• I do enjoy a French stick now and again.

• Back to the game though, what kind of crowd are you expecting?

It's a pain in the arse to get to from Reading so we are driving it, as most are I'm imagining.

• Thanks @genome. I had wondered whether your poor start to the season would mean not taking tonight at all seriously, or playing a strong team to get things going. You’ve answered that!

• @floyd said:
    Thanks @genome. I had wondered whether your poor start to the season would mean not taking tonight at all seriously, or playing a strong team to get things going. You’ve answered that!

Unfortunately I'm not the manager though. Common sense would suggest playing our strongest 11 to help them gel bit who knows what he's thinking.

It will be a strong side wither way.

• @micra how about replacing "pot pourri" with smorgasbord, does that work?

• Melange is a good, and underused, word.

• @genome we are possibly blessed with a promising squad of players this season, some of whom haven't had many minutes yet. I would imagine the team Gareth puts out will be as interesting to us as to you. Then again both managers might field interesting teams and it's a 4-4 thrill fest with a heart-stopping/breaking penalty shoot-out. Fingers crossed!

• I think Parker will start to give Bayo a rest. And I also wonder if we might play Mascoll at left back. I think once or twice against Championship teams in the first round of the League Cup JJ has struggled against the extra pace of the opposing winger.

• I’d assume Parker for Bayo, Freeman for Bloomfield, Mascoll for JJ and Wheeler for Smyth. And maybe Phillips for one of the El-Abd.

• Will Smyth definitely be allowed to play? I know he'd only be of use to QPR in the unlikely event of their making the semis, and if they have a recall clause in place and decide to make use of it, but you never know these days. Personally, I'd like he and Fred to play to show what they can do against Championship opposition.

• Smyth is here for the whole season isn't he?

• Season long loans all come with a recall option in January.

• edited August 2019

Yep

• @floyd said:
    Season long loans all come with a recall option in January.

Only if the two clubs agreed it as part of the loan contract... it isn't automatic. Rules are different for keepers.