Skip to content

Berks and Bucks

pleased we have entered ...... discuss ......

Comments

• Why not. We’ve got no reserve team but players consistently not even making the bench for the first time in years.

• Fantastic news. Good for our fringe players (now we have some) and an important part of our club's history and heritage.

• The competition has been devalued by the presence of MK Dons

• Were on 28 wins, when we reach 30, surely we can display those stars like the champions lge winners.
    Our home shirt will be like a wizards cloak !!

• Reading enter their under 23 team ,beaten in the final by Slough last season. Held at Bracknell (good job it didn't rain ). Slough were only there as they threw out Marlow ,who beat them in the semi final , due to fielding an elgable player. The appeal process went on so long that the finalists were only confirmed about a week before the final. Good to be back though I take it Wolverton Town and British Rail have gone ( now that was a unique ground )

• Really good news.

• How many players do we have now ?

• Maybe our Statto's will tell us, was there a time that the B&B final was always held on a bank holiday monday ?
    Is the final still scheduled for that date ?

• Preliminary Round draw made. Any of these away in the First Round would be great:

• Are Reading City the old Highmoor IBIS?

• Yes @floyd, renamed in June 2018.

• I remember for many years the final was played Easter Monday. Don't quite know how that played out if Easter was early in the calender.
    It was something of a family tradition to go to Banbury, for hot cross buns, on Good Friday and to the B&B final on the Monday.

• A final against Slough would be cracking.

• Actually last season the big teams entered in the Second Round.

• The perfect time for a B & B Cup Final would be May Bank Holiday Monday. I think Wycombe should offer Adams Park for staging the final now.

• The teams joining later:

Didcot from Oxon taking part as normal, why is that?

Out of all the exciting news these past few weeks, strangely, this one excites me the most! A chance for the club to reach out to our neighbours, something we should do more.

• I think Didcot was originally in Berks (as was Abingdon).

• Wantage is in Oxfordshire. It used to be in Berkshire until 1974 when the local government boundary changes came in. Isn’t it about time the county FAs reflected the county boundaries as now rather than in the last millennium?

What baffles me though is Shrivenham. A town 8 miles from Swindon, on the border of Oxfordshire and Wiltshire. This surely can’t be correct - they’ve never even been located near Bucks or Berks?

• Steve, I agree that we should enjoy a good relationship with the smaller clubs in our area and you do a good job publicising their games, but shouldn’t this be a two way thing? It could be beneficial to both parties if we encourage fans of these clubs to take in games at Wycombe and vice versa, of course.

• @A_Worboys said:
    The perfect time for a B & B Cup Final would be May Bank Holiday Monday. I think Wycombe should offer Adams Park for staging the final now.

If you are thinking of Monday May 4th, the Bank Holiday has been moved to Friday 8th May which is the day set aside to commemorate 75 years of VE Day.

Bank Holiday Monday May 25th will be the Championship Play Off Final day.

• @A_Worboys There are those principally but not exclusively in the North of England who don't recognise the 1974 boundary changes. Safest to leave them alone...

• edited August 2019

"Shrivenham is a large village in Oxfordshire, England. It was once part of Berkshire" http://www.shrivenham.org/about-shrivenham/our-village/

You learn something new every day. First I've ever heard of Berkshire shrinking/shifting.

• Berks & Bucks headquarters also choose to remain outside the current boundaries being situated in Abingdon. Before that they were in Faringdon, again historic Berkshire but now Oxon.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Steve, I agree that we should enjoy a good relationship with the smaller clubs in our area and you do a good job publicising their games, but shouldn’t this be a two way thing? It could be beneficial to both parties if we encourage fans of these clubs to take in games at Wycombe and vice versa, of course.

Agree entirely @glasshalffull, we want supporters of local teams to think of us as their 'other' team. Each season, Franchise play several pre-season friendlies against smaller local teams. They have the youth players to do that, we may have if the U23 team takes off, but playing games like that really makes an impression on small clubs.

• According to Wikipedia the above mentioned Wantage, Wallingford, Didcot, Faringdon and Shrivenham all transferred Berks to Oxon in 1974.

Need to be careful about getting the local FAs to recognise things as they are now versus historical boundaries as that's a slippery slope which will lead to calls (by some) for MK to be seen as a legitimate Buckinghamshire league team.

• Traditionally the final used to be played on Easter Monday even if that was in March. Latterly it is played on the early May bank holiday. As has been pointed out that will be different in 2020. One game I remember way back was playing Hazells Printing Works of Aylesbury at Loakes Park one snowy Saturday and winning 10-0 I believe they played in the Hellenic League which had a lot of works teams including Ernest Turners of Totteridge and Rivets Sports again of Aylesbury. We played the latter several times in the B and B. Going way back before my time we used to play Huntley and Palmers of Reading Not sure if you got free biscuits with your tea there .

• @eric_plant said:
    The competition has been devalued by the presence of MK Dons

Maybe, but then all the more important that we enter it and make sure the plastics never win it again.