Skip to content

Crowd speculation and prediction: League Cup 1st Round - Reading (h) Tuesday 13.08.19

edited August 2019 in Football

Here is a link to the spreadsheet for this game which will have interest for some people, my family have roots in a village where the football support was split fairly evenly between Oxford and Reading, my father of course supported Wycombe:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F3uc3rigCXWxRP-MghYeNYnEM8J2T8QA_HJbJZqrFJQ/edit?usp=sharing

It is now not long until we welcome the Biscuitmen - first time in a while and on this occasion only 6 places separate the two clubs in the league pyramid. They only have Stoke and Blackburn below them in the Championship and only Blackpool, Lincoln and Fleetwood are above us in League One.

There is recognition of the game's significance across the county border, they have sold out their initial allocation of 1700: will the game generate as much interest in the Chair Metropolis?

I think more that 3000 Wycombe fans will be at Adams Park, so another large crowd for us at the start of the season and a sizeable crowd for a Tuesday night game is on the cards.

This game will count for the season long competition, however there is no obligation, it will be each person's best 10 predictions that count in what looks very likely to be called the Chiltern MS Centre Attendance Prediction Competition.
I see that @DevC is not running a score prediction thread for this game. Ok to put score predictions on here, but it won't count for the Wycombe Homeless Score Prediction competition.

I go (optimistic as always) -

5520 - total crowd
1903 - broken biscuits

Wycombe 2 - Reading 1

May I wish accurate forecasting to all.

Comments

• 5894, including 1876 Berkshire hunts

• 4912 in total with 1915 in the away end.

• 5617 with 1850, thanks!

• 5200 with 1800

• 5,276 with 1,850 away

• 4994 with 1884 Royals

• 5016 with 1798 Away

• 4919, 1945 away..

• 5390 to include 1900 Royalists.

• 4978 with 1476 Berks!

• 4876 with 1765 away

• 4500 with 1800 away

• 5590 including 1825 Royals.

• 4,984 with 1,788 away.

• Not sure I quite understand why fans of a struggling championship team are so keen to watch their reserves against a Lg1 teams squad players in a pretty pointless cup. Not sure there is the same appetite on our side.

4828 with 1975 ghosts of Robin Friday in their end (plus a few more in ours).

• Couple of major assumptions there, Dev. How do you know that Reading will field a reserve team or that Wycombe will be using ‘squad players’?
    Also, why is it a ‘pretty pointless cup’? It’s one of only two major domestic cup competitions in England.
    What if we progress and are drawn against a PL team with the chance to earn much needed income and possible glory? Did you think it was pointless when we reached the semi finals of this competition?

• It's hardly surprising that Dev struggles to associate with fans wanting to go to a game their team is playing is it?

• ps. you're right about the competition as well, I have some wonderful memories of watching Wycombe in the League Cup. That comeback against Coventry is in the top 10 Wycombe matches I have ever seen. And as you say the run to the semi finals contained some marvellous memories

• 5604 with 1902 away

• 4,780 with 1,888 away

• 4655 with 1877 away. Hopefully to see Wycombe win 5 - 0 at which point we would all claim to have been there.

• 6311, Reading 1960

• Just a comment guys. Last year at the same stage total attendance was below 2000 all-in (albeit for a relatively unglamorous tie). the year before 3.5k against relatively glamorous Fulham, the year before 1800 for championship Bristol City (the dying partridge game). I'm surprised that 2000 supporters from away club Reading can be bothered. Seems they can though. Which is the point of a crowd guessing game I suppose.

• 4,912 including 1,895 away

• Just a comment. A more comparable League Cup game last year was Norwich which drew in a crowd of 3947.

• 4540 including 1545 away

• edited August 2019

Reading are 'on pace,' to sell out their allocation, which includes two blocks in the Beachdean Stand.

I have to say i'm slightly surprised by their enthusiasm for the tie as well.

• 4444 including 1888 away

• @eric_plant said:
    ...That comeback against Coventry is in the top 10 Wycombe matches I have ever seen...

now there’s a thread waiting to happen

• 4888 (1888 away)