Skip to content

Ainsworth and Dobbo transfer dealings

My firend and I put together what I believe is a full list of players Ainsworth and Dobbo have signed during their near 7 years in the hot seat.

Rate the signings:
1/10 disruptive, ruins squad harmony, doesn’t play
2/10 comes for the money, doesn’t play
3/10 worse than the predecessor he was a replacement for, well below the standard required. Perhaps two divisions apart. The thought of him in the quarters honestly upsets me.
4/10 poor ability and frustrating to watch. Ability wise is a division below.
5/10 bang average, same standard as before, doesn’t improve squad, inconsistent. Saying that he’s a solid professional and decent for the changing room.
6/10 is the average ability of the division you are playing in. Eleven of these players would leave you placed 6-10 in the table. He’s got something though.
7/10 same as 6, but with longevity and some flashes of brilliance.
8/10 big game player, makes a lasting impressions, is present in memorable situations throughout his time at the club. Dog named after him.
9/10 consistently 8/10 performances, first name on the teamsheet. Would be a top performer in the division above. Oases class, I’m thirty and consider getting his surname on the back of my shirt. Second son named after him.
10/10 Considered world class for Wycombe. Statue outside please. First son named after him.

Bean 5
Cowan-Hall 7
Steven Craig 3.5
Ephraim 5
Hayes 8
Holloway between a 4 and a 8
Jacobson 8
Jombati 7.5
Lynch 3
Mawson 10
Peter Murphy 6
Pierre 8.5
Fred 7
Saunders (loan) 8.5
Yennaris 8.5
Banton 2
Harriman 8
McGinn 4
O’Nien 9
Richardson 10
Rowe similar to Holloway
Sellers 3
Stewart 9
Thompson 4
Ugwu 3
Akinfenwa 9.5
Blackman 8
Scott Brown 3.5
Will De Havilland 3
Freeman 6.5
Gape 9
Jakubiak 5
Kashket 7
Muller 3
Saunders 6
Southwell 3
Myles Weston 5
Adam El-Abd 8
Eze 9
Ma-Kalamby 3
McGinley 3
Tafari Moore 4
Scarr 4
Thompson 8
Tyson 8
Umerah 4
Randell Williams 6
Charles tricky to rate beause of injury record
Allsop 6.5
Fred 8
Samuels 6
McCathy 9
Morris 7
All the GK's on loan last season 8-9
Bolton tricky to rate beause of injury record

Comments

• 3.5 for Scott Brown is a bit harsh to say the least.

• Main problem being, we are not "in the group/training ground environment", as such, we only see the tip of the iceberg.

• @robin said:
    3.5 for Scott Brown is a bit harsh to say the least.

Ummm not sure what happened there. Brown should be down as a 5.

• Not a million miles away from what I’d go for. (I’d have Craig, Ugwu and Thompson higher, and Ephraim, Jakubiak and Saunders second time around lower. A bit of a pattern there.)

I’m not convinced Freeman is more than a 6 yet but he could get there.

Missing CMS (7) Sellars (4), Styche (3), Liburd (3) and Jeffrey (2) off the top of my head.

It’s a good record, isn’t it.

• Steven Craig should be a minimum of 5, Holloway 3, Harriman 6, Blackman 9, Alsopp 5, otherwise fine.

• Stevie Craig was a great team player, worked his socks off and his goal and celebration at Plymouth will be remembered in Wanderers folklore.
    It's a shame the warriors legs, didn't move as quick as they once did in his prime.

• @Chris said:
    Not a million miles away from what I’d go for. (I’d have Craig, Ugwu and Thompson higher, and Ephraim, Jakubiak and Saunders second time around lower. A bit of a pattern there.)

I’m not convinced Freeman is more than a 6 yet but he could get there.

Missing CMS (7) Sellars (4), Styche (3), Liburd (3) and Jeffrey (2) off the top of my head.

It’s a good record, isn’t it.

I'm annoyed I missed CMS (7). What a great record the two of them have. Whatever they are doing, its working amazinly well.

• '3/10 worse than the predecessor he was a replacement for, well below the standard required. Perhaps two divisions apart. The thought of him in the quarters honestly upsets me.'

Steven Craig 3.5
    Lynch 3
    Sellers 3
    Ugwu 3
    Scott Brown 3.5
    Will De Havilland 3
    Muller 3
    Southwell 3
    Ma-Kalamby 3
    McGinley 3

This section above is the very reason this type of pidgeon holing really annoys me. The list of players above @Bacon_Sandwich in a Wycombe shirt. Nearly a team full. Very, very harsh and quite frankly disrespectful to honest pro's who gave what they had.

• Scott brown was no worse than Allsopp

• Scott Brown was a very good 'keeper and has continued to be since leaving us - arguably the best in League Two last season and I dare say could have done a job in League One.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Scott brown was no worse than Allsopp

I am afraid I have to agree Richie, but neither are really up to League 1 standard

• edited August 2019

I think the lack of command is the biggest weakness in both. I'm inclined to say Allsop makes more errors, but I'd have to watch the last two seasons back in full to be conclusive on that. Allsop is the better shot stopper, Brown the better distributor, but you could go on for a while comparing all the facets of their games and they'd probably come out more or less even.

I maintain that we should get a loan 'keeper in, to at least challenge Allsop, but I don't think that's going to happen. Of course, I want Rocky to have a great season, and he's made a solid start even if he's not been tested - looked more confident in coming for aerial balls against Bolton?

Side note: Blackman - I'm quite surprised no Championship club has come in for him.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    '3/10 worse than the predecessor he was a replacement for, well below the standard required. Perhaps two divisions apart. The thought of him in the quarters honestly upsets me.'

Steven Craig 3.5
    Lynch 3
    Sellers 3
    Ugwu 3
    Scott Brown 3.5
    Will De Havilland 3
    Muller 3
    Southwell 3
    Ma-Kalamby 3
    McGinley 3

This section above is the very reason this type of pidgeon holing really annoys me. The list of players above @Bacon_Sandwich in a Wycombe shirt. Nearly a team full. Very, very harsh and quite frankly disrespectful to honest pro's who gave what they had.

Apart from Scott Brown I'd totally agree actually, their not all exactly ripping up league football are they ?

• Both Brown and Alsop have been fine L2/L1 keepers. Brown left us and was Player of the Year at Port Vale. Alsop has looked more commanding in his area and and made every save he had to yesterday. Two clean sheets but will always be the whiners' whipping boy

• @th100 said:
    Side note: Blackman - I'm quite surprised no Championship club has come in for him.

He did suffer a very serious injury last November plus Chelsea currently have their transfer embargo so probably need to keep him.

• edited August 2019

Ah, I thought his injury was earlier than that - fair enough. Interestingly, he's listed in the academy squad rather than the first team squad https://www.chelseafc.com/en/teams/academy

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    '3/10 worse than the predecessor he was a replacement for, well below the standard required. Perhaps two divisions apart. The thought of him in the quarters honestly upsets me.'

Steven Craig 3.5
    Lynch 3
    Sellers 3
    Ugwu 3
    Scott Brown 3.5
    Will De Havilland 3
    Muller 3
    Southwell 3
    Ma-Kalamby 3
    McGinley 3

Apart from Scott Brown I'd totally agree actually, their not all exactly ripping up league football are they ?

McGinley had a strong season in L2 last year with Forest Green reaching the play-offs. There was talk of him getting a move to the Championship but not sure if that was just the usual rumour-mill waffle or anything more substantial.

The whole exercise is pointless anyway - players are signed for different reasons and you can't grade them under the same category. Craig was signed at the end of his career and on the whole was a success over his 2 seasons. Sellers and Ugwu I imagine were signed on minimal wages with minimal expectations. Maybe only Southwell performed worse than could be reasonably expected, but Conference North to top half League 2 is a big step. He seems to have found his level in the Conference with Halifax.

• Bayo continues to amaze me - 37 years old, and top of the forward pecking order ahead of some serious talent.

• Bayo is one of the best signings we’ve ever made.

• By December Nick Freeman will be an 8.

• Nick Freeman was leaving but couldn't agree personal terms, I think that will be a good thing.

• And he’ll be far from a free man when he does go.

• @bacon sandwich. Nice concept but the 6/10 rating as average for the division and a full 11 would get you 6-10th. Surely an average team would by definition get you a more average finish of say 12-14th?

You're not coming top 6 with eleven average for the division players

• Think Stewart is a bit strong at a 9. Probably more an 8. Are we saying he'd walk into a championship team? Or are we applying the 9 from league two to one ste up?
    Not sure. As much as i enjoy having him there.

• @Malone you’re right to point out the 6th-10th part of the marking criteria, the whole thing needs revisiting and a tweak or two. I’ve decided to do it when we signed them, so League Two for AS. That Stewart turn and killer pass against Bolton sealed the deal for me, even if it undermines the criteria.

• @micra said:
    And he’ll be far from a free man when he does go.

I’m curious to know who would give a thumbs down to the concept of a player attracting a welcome fee. Either someone sad at the thought that he might move on (as I would be) or perhaps more likely someone who like me has a tiny iPhone screen and finds it well nigh impossible to hit the right thumb. Yes, that’s obviously what’s been happening.

• @micra said:

@micra said:
    And he’ll be far from a free man when he does go.

I’m curious to know who would give a thumbs down to the concept of a player attracting a welcome fee. Either someone sad at the thought that he might move on (as I would be) or perhaps more likely someone who like me has a tiny iPhone screen and finds it well nigh impossible to hit the right thumb. Yes, that’s obviously what’s been happening.

It'll be fat thumbed gasroom oafs meaning to hit like. For certain lol

• Great stuff!

• @micra said:
    Great stuff!

I do chuckle when you mention the thumbs down ting.
    And then inevitably get a massive stack of thumbs downs for your trouble!

• Lovin’ it @Malone. Think I saw a 6 recently.