Skip to content

The Chairboys Central Preview: Bristol Rovers v Wycombe

A (I hope) comprehensive look ahead to tomorrow's game for anyone who's interested. First crack at one of these so just seeing how it goes! https://chairboyscentral.com/2019/08/08/the-chairboys-central-preview-bristol-rovers-v-wycombe/

Comments

• A very good read @th100 Must have taken you some time to compile.

• This is superb @th100, looking forward to more of these.

• Excellent stuff @th100 . Look forward to this becoming a regular thing.

• This is great, please do keep it up. It might be worth trying to get it listed on NewsNow to help with traffic @th100 :

https://www.newsnow.co.uk/publishers/applications-guidance.html

e.g.:

https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/League+One/Wycombe+Wanderers?type=ln

• Agreed, this is excellent.

• Very stats driven guide for the younger generation. Didn't like the Bloomfield comments and felt it spoilt a decent read.

• Top notch effort. Well done and thanks a lot.

(Not at all a fan of criticism of individual players but thought the Blooms comments were perfectly fair observations to make, based on statistical analysis, albeit one might see those stats as the product of our style of play as much as individual weakness.)

• Tremendous stuff @th100, cheers.

• edited August 2019

Sadly Blooms undoubted industry, commitment and passion tends to cause problems after 60 mins as he tires! Whether or not Freeman is the answer I'm not sure though. Nice to have options. A good read though @th100

• @HCblue said:
    Top notch effort. Well done and thanks a lot.

(Not at all a fan of criticism of individual players but thought the Blooms comments were perfectly fair observations to make, based on statistical analysis, albeit one might see those stats as the product of our style of play as much as individual weakness.)

Stats are becoming so prevalent in football to a point where some see them as the only factors to just players. Bloomfield and to that matter every other player do so much that is not stats based.

• I dare say that's so - I've often thought that there must be a lot of intangibles that are not susceptible to measurement, in football and other sports. But I am also mindful of the possibility that old farts like myself might be minded to ignore statistical analysis simply for the fact that it contradicts the perception of our eyes without giving it due consideration sometimes. For my money, Blooms is a right Trojan - couldn't hope for a more honest toiler and good team man. But (my eyes say) that he offers v. little creatively and, if it could be shown that his use of the ball was significantly inferior to that of player(s) competing with him for a place, I'd be open to considering it, statistically or otherwise.

• I think Bloomfield brings a lot to the team and prefer him in the lineup to Freeman, but I appreciated the article nonetheless.

• They are totally different players aren't they?

Bloomfield clearly far better suited to cover Thompson's absence than Freeman

• Great addition to pre match build up, please keep posting. Any chance of a score prediction or did I miss that?
    Still missing Vitals ‘opposition view’ post match thread, will especially this week vs the Horse Punchers.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Great addition to pre match build up, please keep posting. Any chance of a score prediction or did I miss that?
    Still missing Vitals ‘opposition view’ post match thread, will especially this week vs the Horse Punchers.

If we win I predict: same old dirty wycombe always cheating timewasting lightning stormclouds conned ref got everything we got nothing blatant handball all goals offside Ainsworth tramp

• Close but too coherent.

• @Chris said:
    Close but too coherent.

And also possibly the opinions of some travelling Chairboys...

• '...We know what we are going to get. We can’t do anything about the spectacle, we can only control our side of things. Wycombe won’t change from what they have been over the years, they are what they are and fair play to them...We know exactly how they are going to play, every member of the crowd will know that as well. At times it can be quite frustrating and we know we will have to overcome that.'

Shame that obviously yet again we will be stopping the silky skills of another highly exciting set of League One players in an effort to secure three points. What are we like?

• There are actually thunderstorms due in the west tomorrow.

• Can you imagine?

• Excellent, well done!

• @drcongo said:
    There are actually thunderstorms due in the west tomorrow.

None here yet but it's wet and very windy so maybe later if we're losing.

• edited August 2019

From the linked article...

There hasn’t been a draw in this fixture in any competition since November 1999, a streak of 26 matches. The only four draws have all come at Adams Park, and only one of them was goalless.

So we can all blame @th100 for today's scoreline.

• @Chris said:
    I think Bloomfield brings a lot to the team and prefer him in the lineup to Freeman, but I appreciated the article nonetheless.

Disagree @Chris. I think it was evident from his 10 minute cameo this afternoon just how much class and creativity Nick Freeman offers but I agree with @eric_plant that Blooms is probably a better replacement for Thommo.
    I really hope Nick gets a full game on Tuesday. Wouldn’t mind seeing Giles Phillips getting a game against Reading as well. I wasn’t at the Memorial Stadium today but it sounded from the commentary as if Adam El-Abd was having to resort to darkish arts a fair bit, almost embarrassingly so. Of course that does beg the question of who takes the captain’s armband.