Skip to content

How long can the EFL allow Bury to remain in the Football League

I was just sat wondering how long can the EFL allow this situation to go on for ? I would think one more week and then they should be removed from the league maybe this seems harsh but it will soon start to affect the integrity of the competition even though they are not playing as they will need to play a lot of midweek games and if we have bad weather they could have all sorts of problems fitting them in apart from the clubs they are due to play being a game behind.

Comments

• A very valid point @rmjlondon and one that must surly come to a conclusion sooner rather than later.

• edited August 2019

I understand they cannot be removed without all the clubs voting for it, does anybody know if this is correct ?

• Financial things aside fixture congestion is no worse than if they had three cup runs (unlikely I know) not ideal for anyone but not the end of the world. I doubt anyone would want to see them axed for that. What the hell is going on with ownership is another thing. The EFL should be, hopefully, trying to get that to a satisfactory conclusion one way or the other.

• @rmjlondon said:
    I understand they cannot be removed without all the clubs voting for it, does anybody know if this is correct ?

I believe this to be correct and covered by Rule 93.1. This rule requires, in the event that the EFL disciplinary commission recommends expulsion of a club, an extraordinary general meeting of the league must be called and a special resolution presented inviting member clubs to ratify the decision of the disciplinary commission.

• sounds like it could drag on for ages then !!

• The FL made a rod for their back for allowing Bury to continue last season without ratifying the takeover. Now it's turned out that the new owner is severely ill, has appointed a board consisting solely of himself and doesn't have the desire and/or the wherewithal to keep the show on the road.
    Must be truly heartbreaking being a Bury fan watching their club going to wall in this slow motion car crash.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    The FL made a rod for their back for allowing Bury to continue last season without ratifying the takeover. Now it's turned out that the new owner is severely ill, has appointed a board consisting solely of himself and doesn't have the desire and/or the wherewithal to keep the show on the road.
    Must be truly heartbreaking being a Bury fan watching their club going to wall in this slow motion car crash.

And knowing you're not going to get the leeway a bigger club like Bolton are going to get!

• Am I the only one who can't help thinking that the situation at Bury might have something to do with the rise of Salford?

• Can't help having that about 5miles down the road can it!

• @Twizz said:
    Am I the only one who can't help thinking that the situation at Bury might have something to do with the rise of Salford?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49222357

• edited August 2019

Killer last line
    "Just because they (Bury) have a stand named after their dad, doesn't mean they should put money in"

You can't imagine the Nevs thought Salford would steamroller through the divisions so quickly, or that Bury, who they watched here and there, would have such difficulty in the same season Salford made the league in fairness!

• They've got Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup on Tuesday, so surely a decision's got to be made on that in the next couple of days. Then league games the following Saturday and Tuesday - surely if one of them gets called off, they both will be.

• @ Malone exactly. Two EFL lower league teams, 6 miles apart. Effectively chasing the same group of business partners, sponsors and supporters. Ones on the way up the other is clearly struggling to survive. Can't be helping Bury chances can it.

• It is important to remember that Bury aren't in this predicament because of Salford, but down to their own financial mis-dealings.

Salford now being 1 division below and on the up, certainly doesn't help Bury's future, but it's not a big reason for their situation.

There has to very quickly be a decision on how many games Bury are being stopped playing, as anymore than 3-4 surely makes it a nightmare to fit them in later.

A team being booted out of a division after the season started is huge news, I can't remember the last time it happened - it messes everything up, as well as being a disaster for the club themselves.

• how can people be blaming Salford City for the demise of Bury ...... This is all there own doing !!

• @Malone Was the last time Newport being kicked out the Conference? Must have been late 80's/early 90's?

Bury have been a financial mess as long as I can remember, seemingly always lurching between oblivion and high spending. I remember them at one point (maybe about ten years ago?) offering out places on the bench to civilians for £100,000 or so, I think with the guarantee they would get at least a five minute run out. Pretty sure I haven't imagined that.

I'm not overly surprised they've now finally got themselves in a mess they can't get out of, which is not to say I'm not thoroughly sympathetic for their supporters.

• @Jonny_King , I can't even remember it happening.

The "bench" bid thing I vaguely remember - but wasn't it scrapped, or only for a friendly in the end? And maybe 10k, not 100k!!
    Anyone got a link, did a quick googling around it and didn't find it.

• Agree that only Bury have themselves to blame for the financial outlay they have made. However, is there anyone who does think that if some local foorball businessmen started pumping money and know-how into, say Marlow, it wouldn't have any knock on effects on WWFC in the 5-10yr future?

If you think it wouldn't then there really is no discussion to be had ...

• Tony Aplin was throwing plenty of money about at Chesham a few years ago. After some initial success, it ended with United in a predictable financial mess. Never had much bearing on the Wanderers though.

• @Twizz - agreed it doesn't help now, going forward. Which when Bury are already in a mess, is just another negative to deal with!
    The chances of them staying a division ahead of Salford look utterly minuscule at the moment.

• TomTom
    edited August 2019
  • Looking back (courtesy of Wikipedia) this appears to be very similar to what happened to Maidstone:

"There was no threat of relegation in 1991–92 as the Football League was taking an additional member for 1992–93. They finished 18th of 22 clubs in the Fourth Division, after the 23rd club, Aldershot, had been declared bankrupt and forced to resign from the league on 25 March 1992 after playing 36 games, results of which were declared void.

The 1992–93 season saw the creation of the Premier League from the old First Division, with the Second Division becoming Division One, the Third Division becoming Division Two, and the Fourth Division becoming Division Three. The Stones would be founder members of the new Division Three, but as the new season came closer it looked more and more unlikely that the Stones would be able to play in it as their financial worries showed no sign of easing and debts reaching £650,000, despite hundreds of thousands of pounds having recently been raised by the sale of players including Warren Barton, Mark Gall and Steve Butler.

They were due to play their first game of the season away to Scunthorpe United on 15 August 1992 but by this stage only two players (defender Gary Stebbing and striker Glen Donegal) were still registered to the club, and the Watling Street stadium had been sold the previous month, leaving Maidstone without a home and not knowing where they would be playing their home games if they remained in existence.

As a result, the match was cancelled. A plan to relocate the club to the North East of England and merge with Newcastle Blue Star was rejected by the Football League, who ruled that the club had to remain in the county of Kent.

After their opening game of the season was cancelled, Maidstone United were given until the following Monday to guarantee that they would be able to fulfill their fixtures. Unable to come up with the necessary backing, they resigned from the league on 17 August and went into liquidation.

They had been due to contest the Football League Cup first round against Reading, with the first leg played on 19 August, and their demise meant that Reading received a bye to the second round. The final competitive game that the club played had been at Doncaster Rovers on 2 May 1992, the final day of the Fourth Division; the game ended in a 3–0 defeat for the Kent side.

The collapse of Aldershot and Maidstone meant that the Football League decided to revert to a membership of 92 clubs (70 when excluding the 22 members of the new Premier League) and that its plan for 94 members clubs had to be scrapped. Any hopes that Wycombe Wanderers, the previous season's Conference runners-up, would be able to take Maidstone's place in the league were quickly dismissed, as the Football League confirmed that it was too late for a new member to be admitted for the current season. However, Wycombe achieved promotion that season as Conference champions.

To date, Maidstone United are the most recent club to be forced out of the Football League due to bankruptcy. A number of former league clubs, including Scarborough, Halifax Town, Chester City and Rushden & Diamonds have gone bankrupt and ceased to exist since Maidstone United's demise, but all had dropped into the non-league divisions by the time of their demise, though when Chester City went out of business in March 2010, less than a year had passed since their relegation from the Football League.[4] However, numerous Football League and even a small number of Premier League clubs have come very close to suffering the same fate as Maidstone since 1992; these include Wimbledon, Bradford City, Crystal Palace, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United and Portsmouth.

• Newport were kicked out of the Confetence 88/89 it was around late January 89 and Wycombe had 6 points and a goal,difference of 7 (5 nil home and 5-3 away ) expunged at a time when we were in contention for the title. Terrible shame about Bury I have a Wycombe based friend who has supported them since a boy but perhaps best they don't start for the reasons above if they can't sort it out soon. Hopefully they will end up in a lower league and start the move up in 20/21.

• Salford isn’t that near Bury - I think it’s unlikely it would have had an impact especially when you consider the number of other clubs which are equally local to Bury.

• Bury have just been given 14 days "to meet all outstanding requirements of the League's insolvency policy" or they'll be chucked out. League Cup game suspended.

• So if Bury can't meet all outstanding requirements of the League’s insolvency policy by the 23rd of August, its membership of the EFL will be withdrawn. And that'll be bye bye Bury.

• I think Sheffield Wednesday should have been awarded the cup game by default. To keep suspending games is ridiculous and unfair on the opposing teams.

• Certainly looks very ominous for Bury. I'm sure there will be a few other clubs supporters with large unsustainable debts and little or no assets wondering if they will be next.
    Including those delusional,Aunt Sally playing freaks from across the border.

• for a club in League 2 last season to owe 16 million pounds is a complete joke and I hope the are expelled unless they pay the 4 million there CVA says they now owe.