Skip to content

Maths conundrum

If a referee takes 10 paces forward and then steps back 1 pace to mark out a line, how many paces has he taken?

Comments

• The line he drew with the spray was also diagonal so one end was actually about 7 yards from the ball. Comical.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    The line he drew with the spray was also diagonal so one end was actually about 7 yards from the ball. Comical.

This was getting on my nerves by about the second time he did it.

• Is there a law of physics that every pace taken by a referee is exactly a yard?

• It was a joke...even despite the fact that the Frank Adams stand was helping him count, he still couldn't get it right!

• @Chris said:
    Is there a law of physics that every pace taken by a referee is exactly a yard?

I expect you think he needs 15 paces to reach his required target of 10 yards.

• arf! Chris and Len, the new DC and Tattler

• Lol I think it probably depends on the individual referee actually.

• The guy at Mansfield measured it with seven strides. I'm guessing this isn't because he couldn't count to ten, but rather that each of his steps was more than a yard.

• edited February 2015

How difficult would it be to issue each ref with a tape measure? Premier League matches have Stanley and Black & Decker emblazoned everywhere.

• @Rolo said:
    How difficult would it be to issue each ref with a tape measure? Premier League matches have Stanley and Black & Decker emblazoned everywhere.

Could last nights ref use a tape measure?

• It does seem a bit backwards to have a spray to mark out the line, but not a tape measure to work out where it should be in the first place.

• I think they should have those trundle wheels you used to get at primary school. Someone could come on with it. Play a jingle. Sponsor it. Everyone cheer.

• @eric_plant said:
    I think they should have those trundle wheels you used to get at primary school. Someone could come on with it. Play a jingle. Sponsor it. Everyone cheer.

That's a great idea.

• haha Mr Plant for PM

• @eric_plant said:
    I think they should have those trundle wheels you used to get at primary school. Someone could come on with it. Play a jingle. Sponsor it. Everyone cheer.

Dale Winton "Bring on the Wheel "

• Another referee who has trouble counting to ten. Walked ten paces and could have drawn his line. Instead he tried to move Newport back first. They refused so he stepped back and drew his line where they stood. Weak refereeing.

• Saw it at Mansfield, we did the "one, two etc" all the way to seven and the ref stopped walking.....

• The guy at Mansfield measured it with seven strides. I'm guessing this isn't because he couldn't count to ten, but rather that each of his steps was more than a yard.

• He was about 5'5" so put it down to Small Man Syndrome.