Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• Even more credit to all their fans travelling down then.

• I like the Creole ?.

• I’ve never seen the club shop so busy. The queue snakes around the entire store and out the door.

• Rebellion tent also doing unbelievable trade, huge snaking queue.

• Disappointed with the line up

• @bigred87 said:
    Disappointed with the line up

Wheeler and Fred gave only just joined so hardly trained - that asides what else could've been expected?

• Looks like a strong line up to me, with plenty of attacking options on the bench.

• @bigred87 said:
    Disappointed with the line up

If the bookies are to be believed, Bolton will be easier to beat than a red headed stepchild so we should be fine.

• I don't think this is going to be a hammering, lads.

• I would be looking at Freeman on for Bloomers at some point here,

• Good bye wycombe.... it was a mistske on my part coming back ??

• Could get a point out of this

• What a move by Stewart, made the goal really. COYB!!!!

• Professional job there - we could have had 5 or 6 at the end, but the 3 points is what matters.

I like the look of the new players!

• We are top the league said we are top the league!

• Slogged for a bit early on, lots to like towards the end, Pattison Freeman (briefly), Fred and others looking great. CMS straight out of ground, didn't look happy, if Kashket didn't get on cms is miles from the team you'd think.

• As Bolton tired and the excellent Zouma went off we really should have scored several more goals. Pattison and Freeman were almost walking through in the last ten minutes.

Impressed with Pattison and Smyth looks very tidy on the ball too. Great play from Stewart to assist the goal, a perfectly weighted ball to force the situation that Smyth exploited.

Well done to Bolton for such excellent support. Clearly pleased just to be playing still. It was obvious that they have some decent enough players but need fitness and time to prepare their game plan properly. Great touch from Bayo to acknowledge the away end after the final whistle.

• Only gutted to not get the third goal as that would have put us top!

• edited August 2019

After a quiet opening spell I thought Pattison was exceptional and probably deserved MOM. Nervy opening 30 mins but once we got the ball down and played we looked a cut above

• The score sugarcoats it but we really should have carved this Bolton side open far earlier. We've signed some quality players and so it's a shame to see us go direct and long from the first kick of the ball. Fred for Bayo, Freeman for Samuel, Wheeler for Bloomfield for me next week - when we start playing against 11 first-teamers we're going to need a lot more then we were offering today.

• I quite like the idea of Smyth and Fred playing off Bayo - with the big man's excellent hold-up play and that kind of skill, pace and finishing ability around him, we'll get goals.

• Whilst we are allowed constructive criticism it did look like we could use more ideas when it comes to opening up the opposition defense. It was not until AS did that lovely stepover and perfectly weighted pass that we scored. Bayo with the assist for Fred's goal was classic Beast Mode. With all the talent available I hope the Gaffer will work more on cutting passes instead of hoofs like Ryan's first touch. In Gaz we trust.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @perfidious_albion said:
    Record league win?
    Clue: A team from Lancashire starting with a B, founder member of the Football League, with Premier League track record. Not Bolton.
    But that 5-0 record could be gone by five this afternoon!

Were you posting this on the WWFC page too :)

• @glasshalffull to be fair I think most comments about the scoreline were meant in jest. @bigred87 nice to see nothing much has changed in your world! Except for Bloomfield I thought the starting line-up was decent enough...knowing you've got the likes of fred and Parker and wheeler and kashket on the bench. Bolton played really well first half with zouma outstanding but they came for a point and could have had it if not for the tactically naive Gareth swooping the wide front players. Smyth goal was great...and pleased for Fred getting off the mark but grimmer almost made you forget macca and Pattison was soooooo desperate for a goal making surging runs even after 70 minutes. He was my man of the match. I know we were playing a club in turmoil but we played some really good stuff today even the much maligned 'mates' of the old guard Adam and JJ. Good start.

• Very impressed with Pattison and think he'll work brilliantly in a 3 with Gape and Thompson. If he sticks his foot through it occasionally rather than going for finesse, he'll get us goals as well.

• edited August 2019

Fair play to the Bolton youngsters, kept it competitive in the first half at least, albeit not coming within a mile of our goal.

1-0 made it one of those rare games you know it's a 100% win sealed.

Zouma going off, plus their kids tiring meant it could and should have ended up anywhere up to 7 or 8-0.
    Some of the misses were almost farcical fare, and a couple of little balls played In could have done the trick too.

If Pattison can do those sort of late driving runs against "usual" league 1 opponents, we'll have a cracking array of attacking options across the pitch.

Smyth looks a terrier little player. Almost scored first half, and he'll be a threat.
    I hope Wheeler can be similar, though didn't get into it as sub today.

Fred has that effortless quality, could easily have scored a hattrick from the bench.

I think Samuel has a colossal battle to keep his place when these guys get up to speed.

The ref at times seemed to be showing some obvious sympathy to Bolton's plight. Letting a couple of very obvious yellows go for their players lunges, especially the one on Allsop, which would be a yellow any other week.
    Some harsh whistling on Gape who produced a couple of superb tackles to nick the ball, and was amazingly penalised

• Stewart was unbelievable today. Wins a win, happy with that!

• @Jonny_King said:
    OUT TODAY! Pick up the brand new edition of The Wanderer fanzine from the WWISC stand on the left hand side of Hillbottom Road, just before you reach the Adams Park gates (in front of the Righton building). Free to WWISC members and just £1.50 to everyone else.

For reasons I cannot fully fathom by the time I made it down the road by about 2.55 the people selling the wanderer had selfishly gone in to watch the match. I assume there will still be some available at the franchise match?

• Nothing much has changed in the way wycombe play @Wendoverman i took 3 guest's along today and they asked to leave before half time. Bolton played really attractive football well done to them?