Skip to content

Who Are The League One Managers? No.23: Gareth Ainsworth

In keeping with the nature of things in the lower reaches of the Football League, there are numerous managers in League One this season who are relatively unknown outside of their own club. One man who needs no introduction to supporters in the lower divisions or anywhere else is Wycombe manager Gareth Ainsworth.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/who-are-the-league-one-managers-no-23-gareth-ainsworth-wycombe-wanderers/

Comments

• Welcome back to the same division, Jules! Lovely to hear from you again, congratulations on your promotion and thanks for sharing this commendably detailed biography.

How are things looking at your club for the season?

• @HCblue said:
    Welcome back to the same division, Jules! Lovely to hear from you again, congratulations on your promotion and thanks for sharing this commendably detailed biography.

How are things looking at your club for the season?

Thank you for your kind comments.

When I first started attending Lincoln matches 19 years ago, I didn't expect to ever see us in League One, especially after our relegation to the Conference in 2011.

So, my aim is to enjoy every single moment.

We're probably 2-3 players short of where we need to be, but I have every confidence in Danny and Nicky Cowley to do the business required.

After 3 trophies in 3 seasons, it is very important to try and manage expectations and not be totally unrealistic, so a mid-table finish would be a decent result for us, but I imagine Danny and Nicky Cowley wouldn't be happy with that!

The summary of our "Who Are The League One Managers?" series is now live!

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/who-are-the-league-one-managers-summary/

• Last season was a funny one. At times, it felt quite a lot like L2, with some mediocre opponents being turned over with champagnish football. At others, it seemed a very different place in which we had little chance of remaining. The determination I remember your lot showing two years ago will still go a long way - you're not in the Premier League by a long way.

By the last third of the season, about ten teams were in with a very real chance of going down and none were obviously too good to do so.

Have you bought any decent new players?