Skip to content

Cricket World Cup

Comments

• edited July 2019

For once, we've benefited from the seemingly sketchy rules and decisions.
    Enjoy it!

• @eric_plant said:
    Did you describe Kent all rounder Darren Stevens as world class earlier, or am I confused?

Looks like a world class athlete to me

• yep, fair point. I take it back

• “Deadly” Mk 2. But arguably a batter betsman.

• Stevens was definitely a better batsman in his prime, but as good as his career has been his bowling isn’t of Underwood’s standard.

• These types of tiebreakers are usually a bit random but the most important bit is both teams know what it is.
    In a tournament where all teams play all then league position or head to head would work for me. I've said that for years in the Football League Play Offs.
    To be honest I don't know why they didn't have a second super over.

• Righty is a Kiwi, Righty is a Kiwi !!
    With apologies for “familiarity”.

@Chris: you’re far too young to have a credible view of Deadly’s overall prowess.
    Compare his bowling stats for Kent with Darren’s. (I haven’t, by the way, and await evidence that Derek’s stats were clearly superior.)

• Underwood took five times as many wickets at a better average. He was also one of England's best bowlers in his era - although Stevens should have been given a chance for England, he would never have been an international strike bowler like Underwood.

On the other hand, Stevens never toured South Africa during the apartheid boycott.

• Stevens clearly a lesser talent but he came late to Kent (aged 30, I think) and has excelled at a much later stage in his career than Underwood. 7 for 101 from 48 overs currently against Surrey is a prodigious effort from a 43 year old.
    Not sure Kent will have time to take last four wickets and knock off the runs now.
    But a winning draw with Kent scoring at more than a run an over faster than Surrey.

• Kent are playing Hampshire, aren't they?

• Trust you @Cyclops ! I’m a senile old w****r you know what I am.
    Well spotted old chap.

• Could be an exciting finish.

• Perhaps not as exciting as the World Cup.

• What time is close of play @Chris ?

• Denly on fire. Kent 42-1 after 6 overs. Is there still time?

• Evidently not.

• I thought Guptill facing the first and last ball of the match was a neat piece of symmetry.

• @micra said:
    Trust you @Cyclops ! I’m a senile old w****r you know what I am.
    Well spotted old chap.

@micra I wouldn't argue with you except, perhaps, to say that I don't think you're senile.

• May I refer the honourable member to my comment just now on the Maidenhead alefest thread.

• A true cult hero. A late peaker returning to the Peak District.

Going for the Championship next year. Wow. Wycombe and Kent.

• edited July 2019

greetings from argentina

• Too chilly for us at 27 degrees.
    My goodness that was quick! @bochadg joined 4.14 pm, posted 4.16 pm and @micra commented at 4.20 pm.

• Looks like the points will be shared at the Oval this evening @Chris. Doubt whether @EddieMonsoon will be bothered.

• Shame. Was going to watch it on Sky this evening (well, as much as I could negotiate with mrs micra in exchange for Long Lost Families.)

• Thanks @drcongo for your indulgence in allowing this occasional intrusion!

• Game on

• Game over

• Glad you didn’t mention the outcome @Chris. Lost out to Long Lost Family AND a double length Who the F*** are You. But I’ll have a look at the recording tomorrow. Your posts, separated by 15 minutes, suggest there was a Super Over or very straightforward D/L decision.

• @eric_plant said:
    Did you describe Kent all rounder Darren Stevens as world class earlier, or am I confused?