Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

David Wheeler Signs

13567

Comments

  • A shame Wheeler seems to be a lefty but i wont hold it against him

  • As the Wanderers were formed by the working class, hindered by the ruling class
    We should welcome as many Lefties to the club as possible.
    Has Dennis Skinner got any Sporty grandchildren ?

  • Except most of the Labour party are now middle class.

  • @ChasHarps said:
    As the Wanderers were formed by the working class, hindered by the ruling class
    We should welcome as many Lefties to the club as possible.
    Has Dennis Skinner got any Sporty grandchildren ?

    The Beast of Bayosolver?

  • The working class were traditionally socially conservative NOT socialists like Mr. Corbyn and co,

  • Let's face it, you're going to give it your best shot in year 1

  • @HCblue said:
    Allow me.

    Am I the only one with a nagging question in my mind about how this all gets paid for in the medium to long term? Let's express it positively: I'm excited to see how Rob and his team are going to change the running of the club in a way that brings in extra income sufficient to support a higher standard, quantity and, presumably, cost of player at the club.

    (And I actually am super-interested to see how things change.)

    I am excited by the team being assembled but surprised that the increasely unstainable spending isn't being questioned more on here. Surely we should be increasing revenue and spending at the same time or it is a bit of a gamble.

  • As an aside, I enjoy the sense we all seem to have that a team of galacticos is assembling before us when the reality is we have acquired some loanees, a lad from Hendon, a cast-off from Millwall and some League 1/2 retreads.

    I don't at all mean that negatively - I am as upbeat and optimistic in my heart as anyone and understand/believe in the possibility that the new players can exceed their past achievements under a competent and capable manager in a supportive environment. It's just that there seems to be an interesting collective psychological effect in play, probably due to the extremely low expectations we had a couple of months ago.

  • Reality is awful @HCblue let's just enjoy the warmth until the first game is over and facebook points out no-one we bought is anywhere near as good as Dave Tarpey and we've spent all the cash.

  • Still have 24 hours to get Tarpey in.

  • Also, I believe we only have one additional player than last season. 6 were let go, McCarthy just left, meaning the 8 new signings is just a net gain of one.

  • Also (sequel), the more speculative players (in my opinion) are on one year deals, encouraging them to "prove it", so to speak.

  • @colonel_splaffy said:

    @HCblue said:
    Allow me.

    Am I the only one with a nagging question in my mind about how this all gets paid for in the medium to long term? Let's express it positively: I'm excited to see how Rob and his team are going to change the running of the club in a way that brings in extra income sufficient to support a higher standard, quantity and, presumably, cost of player at the club.

    (And I actually am super-interested to see how things change.)

    I am excited by the team being assembled but surprised that the increasely unstainable spending isn't being questioned more on here. Surely we should be increasing revenue and spending at the same time or it is a bit of a gamble.

    It’s difficult to increase revenue substantially before the season starts and money had to be spent now to attract players before they joined other clubs and before the transfer window closes.The gamble is that a better squad and (hopefully) better results will attract more spectators and increase revenue.

  • Exactly.we have not splashed the cash, we have not spent hundreds of thousands we don't have. I think we have been very careful and very clever.
    We seem to have replaced what we lost to a good level and added to it sensibly with the freed up wages, contributions from the 500 club, a swap Plus....?? From the fred deal... A couple of promising nobody's on peanuts and no doubt a dip here and there into the loan market. On top of the dips already made, that look good like business.

    • look like good business
  • The trouble is we will never know how much we have spent and what is our debt. Did we get a fee for McCarthy , better than what we paid for Fred? Have we receive our sell on for Hause which could be a decent amount of money. We seem to have spent well. Now is the time to sit back and enjoy the ride.

  • Lets all just for a day or two, sleep well at night, with a little smug grin on our faces, in the hope that gaz and the team behind the scenes may well have just pulled it out of the bag. I'm feeling optimistic with the signings so far.
    My mind set has come along way from our already pitiful budget being slashed and key players going.
    I no longer feel that an all but guaranteed relegation battle awaits us.
    With a little bit of luck, injuries will be minimal. Loan players will excel, and we might well just have an exciting season ahead!

  • less of a lefty more of a Liberal reformer in the Lloyd George mould, luckily he has a better left foot

  • @HCblue said:
    Allow me.

    Am I the only one with a nagging question in my mind about how this all gets paid for in the medium to long term? Let's express it positively: I'm excited to see how Rob and his team are going to change the running of the club in a way that brings in extra income sufficient to support a higher standard, quantity and, presumably, cost of player at the club.

    (And I actually am super-interested to see how things change.)

    Don't worry about the money....

    til later.

  • @HCblue said:
    As an aside, I enjoy the sense we all seem to have that a team of galacticos is assembling before us when the reality is we have acquired some loanees, a lad from Hendon, a cast-off from Millwall and some League 1/2 retreads.

    I actually thought Trevor or one of his ilk had posted this for a second!

    We seem to have done some exceptional business, with a few potential rough diamonds thrown in too.

  • I think that's 3 including loanees from QPR.

    I seem to remember GA and Warburton having a good relationship before when we had Saunders & Yanaris on loan from Brentford in 2015. Is this a return of that special relationship?

    I'm starting to get quite excited by the prospect of the season to come. I'm not going to be surprised if 1, or maybe 2, of the new players don't quite work out - with 8 coming in it would be exceptional if they all played a significant part in the season. What I would really like though, in addition to a comfortable mid-table finish, is a decent cup run including a couple of home ties with Premier League teams.

    That would be the kind of thing that would attract some new people to the ground plus adding some much needed cash into the coffers.

  • @Malone said:

    @HCblue said:
    As an aside, I enjoy the sense we all seem to have that a team of galacticos is assembling before us when the reality is we have acquired some loanees, a lad from Hendon, a cast-off from Millwall and some League 1/2 retreads.

    I actually thought Trevor or one of his ilk had posted this for a second!

    We seem to have done some exceptional business, with a few potential rough diamonds thrown in too.

    I agree. As I said later on in the post you quoted, I am, perhaps unrealistically, optimistic about the coming weeks. Three points on Saturday would surely be the most dreadful of false dawns.

  • edited July 2019

    @HCblue said:

    @Malone said:

    @HCblue said:
    As an aside, I enjoy the sense we all seem to have that a team of galacticos is assembling before us when the reality is we have acquired some loanees, a lad from Hendon, a cast-off from Millwall and some League 1/2 retreads.

    I actually thought Trevor or one of his ilk had posted this for a second!

    We seem to have done some exceptional business, with a few potential rough diamonds thrown in too.

    I agree. As I said later on in the post you quoted, I am, perhaps unrealistically, optimistic about the coming weeks. Three points on Saturday would surely be the most dreadful of false dawns.

    You are right that we need to temper expectations.
    But win that first game, even against the kit man, his mate and a bunch of kids, and it's all about play offs ;)

    I'm sure I'll be like a lot of our fans trying to work out who the heck is who for a lot of saturday!
    Maybe @micra, or an equal stats animal, could confirm how many we have in the squad now?

    Presumably a good 4-5 who won't even get in on the bench?

  • We need a database with all the players heights and political affiliations.

  • Who was the player @micra hilariously was trying to claim was 5ft 1?

  • Was it Wycombe’s own Paul Smyth?

  • I think Couhig is planning to help build an exciting team on the pitch, improve standards around the ground that make people want to come back to AP, and stay there. Perhaps the hope is that short-term slight debt will help long-term success (I understand that is the folly of many owners)

    But, he seems to be a 70 year old man who wants to help rejuvenate a club as a legacy to his family - I don't think he's in it for any real land acquisition as I'm sure is the fear.

    And, I think there's probably a lot of shrewd business gone into the selling of McCarthy/ buying of Fred/ Wheeler on a free/ all the loans.

    Quietly optimistic for the season ahead.

  • and two more to come 🀩

  • I think someone (maybe @DevC) rightly said on here recently that after the Hause and Ingram sell-ons went this summer, we don't have much family silver left, both in terms of future sell-ons, and high revenue potential for the players in the squad at the end of last season.

    The one thing that has struck me from our summer activity is how we've signed younger players - both rough diamonds and established L1/L2 players - who do have potential to be polished up and sold on (as per McCarthy this season). In absence of a youth team, this seems to be the strategy the new investors are pursuing and inevitably that will require a high initial investment to re-shape what was an aging squad.

Sign In or Register to comment.