Skip to content

Signing #6 - Jamie Mascoll

124»

Comments

• Cousins , Bates, Lawrence and Vinnicombe... That was the best defense we ever had!

• I’m too young to remember them. How did that compare to Harriman, Pierre, Stewart and JJ as a back four @Alexo ?

• They had a better keeper behind them

Hyde, Cousins, Howard, Crossley, Evans for me. First season in the (old) division 3, when we finished 6th. To date our highest ever league position

• The central three of Bates,McCarthy.and Cousins were formidable in a back 5. All three of them could read the game so well, despite none of them being blessed with too much pace.

• Hard to look past Jombati, Mawson, Pierre, Jacobson with Ingram in goal.

• If it comes to keepers Martin Taylor is out on his own. With the exception of loanee Tom Heaton.

• Senda, Johnson (R), Taylor (S), Vinnicombe would have been an impressive line up but I don’t think they ever played together despite all being in the squad at the same time.

• @ChasHarps said:
    If it comes to keepers Martin Taylor is out on his own. With the exception of loanee Tom Heaton.

I agree, Taylor is our best ever keeper, Evan's and McCarthy as centre backs, Cousins on the right, and Vinnicombe on the left. Bearing in mind we've had Roger Johnson, Steve Taylor and Mike Williamson play for us as well, cant believe I've left those all out

• What about Mickey Bell at left back? I know his departure acrimonious but surely the best in that position?

• @ChasHarps said:
    If it comes to keepers Martin Taylor is out on his own. With the exception of loanee Tom Heaton.

I also thought Frankie Fielding was a good loanee

• Jamal Blackman was the best keeper we have had, excepting Martin Taylor

• JJ will surely remain our first choice left back, he is still a fine player at this level. Yes his lack of pace is evident but he is an intelligent footballer and that normally masks the pace issue.

• I fear it is the combination of Adam El-Abd and JJ (neither greyhounds) which has made us so vulnerable to fleet-footed right sided opponents.

• With Adam carrying a slight injury (?calf strain) don’t be surprised to see Giles Phillips as the left-sided centre back.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    JJ will surely remain our first choice left back, he is still a fine player at this level. Yes his lack of pace is evident but he is an intelligent footballer and that normally masks the pace issue.

You may be right about JJ still being first choice, but for six of the last seven matches last season JJ was left out of the starting line up and the starting left back position was instead given to an out of position right back (Harriman). I expect Mascoll to be given a chance to impress quite soon this season.

• @micra, you may well be right there. Although I am much more worried about El-Abd starting than JJ. If Sido remains injured over the first few weeks of the season, I would like to see Phillips given a chance at CB alongside Stewart.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @micra, you may well be right there. Although I am much more worried about El-Abd starting than JJ. If Sido remains injured over the first few weeks of the season, I would like to see Phillips given a chance at CB alongside Stewart.

Gaz will always pick a fit Adam ‘the warrior’ El-A as skipper. He must see something we don’t, and he picks the team.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    @micra, you may well be right there. Although I am much more worried about El-Abd starting than JJ. If Sido remains injured over the first few weeks of the season, I would like to see Phillips given a chance at CB alongside Stewart.

Gaz will always pick a fit Adam ‘the warrior’ El-A as skipper. He must see something we don’t, and he picks the team.

Did you feel Adam was a liability last season mr albion?

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

I thought Adam was excellent last season and I will back the manager’s judgment because, as you said, he picks the team and he knows the players much better than we do. In Gaz we trust, as they say.

• There were times that I certainly did @Wendoverman.
    Maybe it is just that we all see games differently but for me he lacked pace and got caught out on a number of occasions.
    If everyone was fit, I would certainly not have him in my starting 11 but I do not pick the team.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Blue_since_1990 I must admit my memory of games gets hazy these days but I thought last season was along @fame_46 's lines. I thought him and Sido made an excellent pairing and I always like a lots of pointing and shouting in a defender...even if sometimes it seems to make no sense.

• @Alexo said:
    Cousins , Bates, Lawrence and Vinnicombe... That was the best defense we ever had!

I’d go along with that. Impossible for me to not mention Bates’ free kick ability too.

• He was certainly a liability when he got sent off for pulling that chap’s hair at Barnsley.

• @Wendoverman said:

@perfidious_albion said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

Did you feel Adam was a liability last season mr albion?

On balance yes, I would pick, if fit, Sido and Tools every time. Adam has the turning circle of an artic and that grabbing shirts as a speedy forward races past him fills me with dread, another year older another year slower and with JJ outside him any club with pace down the right that have done their homework could rip us to pieces.

• Possibly without realising it you are echoing my sentiments in a post earlier today @perfidious_albion. Spot on.