Skip to content

What team would you play?

With the new season about to start I feel very optimistic with the players that we have signed and the players we already have.

I feel it would be interesting to see what line-up you would like to see next season. Since we now have so many options I feel that the time is right to see what you think the most suitible line-up will be.

My desired line-up is as followed:

(4-4-2)

Allsop GK
Grimmer RB
Jombati CB
Stewart or El-Abd CB
Jacobson LB
Smyth RM
Gape CM
Thompson CM
Freeman LM
Onyemadima ST
Kashket ST

Feel free to leave your opinions on what line-up you would have next season.

Comments

• 4-4-2

Allsop

Grimmer
    Stewart
    Jombati
    Jacobson (for now)

Onyedinma
    Thompson
    Gape
    Kashket/Smyth

Akinfenwa
    Smyth/Kashket

• Ainsworth loves a 4-3-3 though.

Allsop

Grimmer
    Stewart / El Abd
    Jombati
    Jacobson

Thompson
    Gape
    Pattinson

Smyth
    Kashket
    Fred

• It was 4-4-2 late last season and in the last friendly - not sure whether that was a hint of what to expect on Saturday - but Smyth-Kashket-Fred could do some serious damage.

• Allsop

Grimmer
    Stewart / El Abd
    Jombati
    Jacobson

Thompson
    Gape
    Pattinson

Smyth
    Bayo
    Fred

• How long is Thompson out for?

• With Thompson fit I would like to see us try the following 5-2-3 (3-2-2-3) set-up with three central defenders and forward-looking wing backs. Less convinced it is worth trying without Thompson, but could try it with Gardiner-Smith instead.

Allsop GK

Grimmer RB
    Stewart CB
    Phillips CB
    El Abd CB
    Mascoll LB

Gape CM
    Thompson CM (Gardiner-Smith)

Kashket FW
    Akinfenwa FW
    Smyth FW

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019

@fame46 No place for Stewart? or are you anticipating him missing much of the season through injury again?

• By the time Curtis Thompson comes back at least two of the young untried players will have featured. From what I’ve heard it is going to be late August at best.

• Squad looks decent doesn't it.

• I am hoping the newfound confidence from a productive end to the transfer window reflects in an attacking starting XI:

GK: Allsop

RB: Grimmer
    CB: Jombati
    CB: El-Abd
    LB: Jacobson

CDM: Gape
    CM: Pattison
    CM: Freeman

Wide FW: Kashket
    FW: Akinfenwa
    Wide FW: Smyth

I think Saturday comes too soon for Onyedima and Thompson. El-Abd gets the nod over Stewart for me primarily for his leadership qualities but also I feel El-Abd is better with the ball at feet than Stewart.

• edited July 2019

I think Saturday will be:

Allsop
    Grimmer
    El-Abd
    Stewart
    JJ

Kashket
    Gape
    Bloomfield
    Fred

Smyth
    Bayo

Yates
    Phillips
    Mascoll
    Freeman
    Pattison
    Samuel
    CMS

I think when Thompson comes back GA will revert to 4-3-3 with Gape-Thompson-Bloomfield behind Fred-Bayo-Smyth.

• I would imagine it will be Fred and Smyth either side of Bayo with Kashket on the bench and 3 in midfield - Gape, Bloomfield and Pattison I'd have thought

• Saturday is definitely too soon for Sido and Curtis and possibly also for Adam. Fred’s position (probably sub) will depend on how fit he is but it appears that he had little pre-season match experience.

• @eric_plant Wheeler for Pattison now.

• How many new signing permitting re-drafts are we allowed?!

I'd now go:

Allsop

Grimmer
    Sido
    El Abd
    JJ

Gape
    Thompson

Wheeler

Smyth
    Bayo
    Fred

All of a sudden our squad is looking stronger than that which we started last year with, even with the likes of Freeman, Samuel, Kashket, Bloomfield, CMS, JGS, Phillips, Stewart, Mascoll and more able deputies.

I've a good feeling about this year, putting my hat on a solid, relatively untroubled mid-table finish.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    @eric_plant Wheeler for Pattison now.

yep

• edited July 2019

if its a team for Saturday I would expect it to be

GK wait and see who comes in later
    RB Grimmer
    LB Jacobson
    CD El Abd
    CD Stewart

MID Wheeler
    MID Gape
    MID Blooms

FOR Kashket
    FOR Bayo
    FOR Smyth

• As long as they win I don't care who plays. I assume any of the new players who do not impress immediately on Saturday join Rocky as possible season scapegoat?

'Letting McCarthy go was a terrible mistake and will cost us...mark my words!!'

• @rmjlondon said:

Is this the Wembley 2015 goalkeeper?

• Delayed on the M25.

• @Brownie said:

@rmjlondon said:

Is this the Wembley 2015 goalkeeper?

I was going to suggest it could be Ruth, but I'm rather liking this new, positive, happy Richie and don't want to send him back to his old ways.

• If it was the Southend ‘keeper well and good but he’s moved on to better things, hasn’t he?

• We are gonna sign two more players with 2 going out

• Is the writing on the wall for Freeman @rmjlondon ? I hope not but it wouldn’t surprise me.

• Ruth?

• @micra said:
    Is the writing on the wall for Freeman @rmjlondon ? I hope not but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Also agreed here, would love to see Freeman stick around because I think he still offers something to us - but recent additions seem to see him falling even further down the pecking order. I think a League 2 or National League loan beckons.

• @micra said:
    Is the writing on the wall for Freeman @rmjlondon ? I hope not but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Are you really asking richie to elaborate @micra? You'll know when it's public knowledge and not before!