Skip to content

McCarthy on the move?

Rumours abound that Millwall about to put in a bid.Is that why we are chasing Grimmer?

Comments

• Could it mean that Fred be moving in the opposite direction along with some cash for us

• Considering we paid a fee and have him signed up to a reasonably long contract, I would like to think it would be quite some fee if so (plus Fred?). However, even if we are to sign Grimmer, I would absolutely not like to see McCarthy go so soon

• I would imagine that unless McCarthy wants to go Roy and Co not to mention Gareth would want to hold on to him. Shame to sacrifice a quality defender on a long contract even for the return of Fred...(who surely has now been usurped by Smyth?) Having said that someone did tell me last season that they'd overheard Macca badmouthing team-mates in a marlow bistro!

• He had that little scuffle with Allsop last season didn't he?
    Bound to happen in footy teams, at whatever level.

I remember at the lowest level getting infuriated when my team's keeper would take seemingly hours to take a kick, even when losing. Grrr.

• I hope not.

• I hope not too. Only going by reports so far it sounds like we are assembling a competitive side for this coming season. McC would be a big loss.

• Fred plus £1m and Harriman back ?

• I thought when we signed him from Barnsley, for a small fee, that they had put a large sell on fee, hence the small fee originally . I wouldn't want to lose him..

• I had heard rumours about that @Malone bad-mouthing his colleagues in a Marlow bistro :smile:

• He seems to have a genuine affection for Wycombe, so I'm sure he'd be sad to leave us again.

But it's a short career and you couldn't begrudge him the opportunity to play at as high a level as he can.

Hope he stays though, obviously

• 'Rumours abound' seems to have got much more traction than I'd expect. This latest troll must be really pleased.

• You really are a miserable sod aren't you?

• Grimmer signs.....

• We've all 'bad-mouthed' a team mate in a Marlow bistro at some point

• @eric_plant That made me LOL alot. From the King of Miserable Sods that means alot.

• @Brownie said:
    Considering we paid a fee and have him signed up to a reasonably long contract, I would like to think it would be quite some fee if so (plus Fred?). However, even if we are to sign Grimmer, I would absolutely not like to see McCarthy go so soon

Didn't pay any fee for McCarthy - was referred to as an 'undisclosed fee' on announcement because Barnsley wanted him gone with none of the embarrassment of letting him go early for nothing. Also, I think Fred is on 5k a week at Millwall - we'd be pushed to get him here permanently.

• Fred was seemingly keen to come back on loan in January, maybe we can have him on loan again and part pay his wages, otherwise its still probably in his interests long term to earn less here and put himself in the shop window.

• So possibly Fred and three other players...Macca must have gone for a million pounds (or something) :smile:

• Three signings in one day. Must be likely we will accept Millwall’s deal but there are other Championship sides looking at him. Perhaps we can wait for the highest bidder !!

• If he goes it has to be for huge money still has 2 years left on his contract fed up of giving our players away for peanuts.

• edited July 2019

Hopefully Stroud is not leading any negotiations with Millwall.

• No-one wants us to lose McCarthy, future captain in the making, top player at L1 level and loves the club. However, it would be a much less bitter pill to swallow if he's traded for Grimmer, Fred and some cash on the side. He's contracted for another couple of years so no reason to accept anything other than an attrative offer.

• I would hope that any negotiations are left to messers Cohig & Palmer. Lets be honest, Cohig must be a fairly shrewd man to have accumulated his apparent wealth?

• @EwanHoosaami so shrewd he wants to make a small fortune by investing in an EFL league 1 club.

"But how?" I hear you ask.

Start with a large fortune was the unanimous response.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

• Glad you couldn’t @Twizz ! Bit concerned that @EwanHoosaami thinks Rob Couhig’s wealth may be illusory.

• @micra said:
    Glad you couldn’t @Twizz ! Bit concerned that @EwanHoosaami thinks Rob Couhig’s wealth may be illusory.

According to this guy, Norman Hayward, Vice Chairman of Yeovil, thinks that Rob Couhig’s wealth is illusory.

• Hang on. Are his words "Rob Couhig" as those are the ones in quotations? Rather than the much more worrying scumbag and wealth doubts?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I would imagine that unless McCarthy wants to go Roy and Co not to mention Gareth would want to hold on to him. Shame to sacrifice a quality defender on a long contract even for the return of Fred...(who surely has now been usurped by Smyth?) Having said that someone did tell me last season that they'd overheard Macca badmouthing team-mates in a marlow bistro!

You are obviously better "connected" than you have previously let on.......

• @Its_Cold_Up_North oh yes the beechdean massive are all in the know. Some of them go to football AND eat out sometimes in Marlow. Other than that I'm not sure what you mean?

• @micra said:
    Glad you couldn’t @Twizz ! Bit concerned that @EwanHoosaami thinks Rob Couhig’s wealth may be illusory.

Only put in the word "apparent", as I don't know, personally, if his wealth is fact or fiction.
    I don't have reason to doubt his affluence until proven otherwise.