Skip to content

Woking

Nothing on last night’s game so just thought I’d post a few observations.
Best trialists probably the two full backs in the first half. And a small inner midfielder in the Onien mode second half. Lots of trialists misplaced simple passes and showed poor awareness. An attacking trialist in the second half with distinctive semi bleached curly hair looked quick and decent.

Not much confidence in our second choice keeper. His kicking was awful in the first half but he nearly saved a pen. Penalty was unbelievably soft but doesn’t matter.

Woking had a display under their stand presenting their new stadium plans. They are planning to redevelop the area with houses and a 10,000 capacity stadium. They had examples of o Burton Albion and Wycombe as teams from their level who’ve built new stadiums and increased their crowds in subsequent years.

Comments

• The semi bleached hair striker may well have been former Leicester striker Kiaro Edward's John.
    Had been getting good reviews whilst on trial at Walsall recently .

• I guess the question is ‘would Kairo be an upgrade on Paris?’

• 11 triallists last night, any stato know what the highest number of triallists we've put out for a game ?

• I don't know about trialists, but the number of non contracted and youth team players that featured in the shameful 5 nil defeat at Marlow in the Berks and Bucks tie, many years ago will take some beating.

• Did Danny Parish play?

• Barnet beat Palace 6-2 last night.

• Bring on the Palace.

• @peterparrotface said:
    Did Danny Parish play?

Yes - came on second half

Trialists were
    17 - Jack Grimmer
    3 - Jamie Mascoll
    19 - Giles Phillips
    15 - Jordan Lyden
    2 - Kairo Edwards-John
    24 - Danny Parrish
    18 - Jacob Gardiner-Smith
    6 - Ben Frempah
    12 - unknown defender
    23 - unknown centre midfielder
    27 - David Wates (late fill in as Stewart pulled out)

• I assume we are letting the opposition score in the friendlies....just as a courtesy?

• @Ketters1982 said:

@peterparrotface said:
    Did Danny Parish play?

Yes - came on second half

Trialists were
    17 - Jack Grimmer
    3 - Jamie Mascoll
    19 - Giles Phillips
    15 - Jordan Lyden
    2 - Kairo Edwards-John
    24 - Danny Parrish
    18 - Jacob Gardiner-Smith
    6 - Ben Frempah
    12 - unknown defender
    23 - unknown centre midfielder
    27 - David Wates (late fill in as Stewart pulled out)

Thanks mate - good to see some young players getting a chance, Catford, Thamesmead, USA, Australia, Barry Gardiner's boy, ex Fisher Ben and a sports scientist chap, I like that blend.

• Good to see Sido there, no protective boot either.

• I thought Grimmer was excellent for Coventry against us.

• Jack Grimmer certainly would be a good signing purely based on seeing him play against us and others... anyone having been at the two games so far got much to report on his performances?

• edited July 2019

@Brownie said:
    Jack Grimmer certainly would be a good signing purely based on seeing him play against us and others... anyone having been at the two games so far got much to report on his performances?

He didn’t play v Barnet but looked good last night, very attacking and supplied the cross for the first goal. There has been reported links with other clubs though. I would be pleased if he signed, spoke to some Coventry fans I know from England games and they were very complimentary about him both on and off the pitch.

I also thought Kairo Edwards-John looked like a real find. Walsall had him on trial for 2 games and some fans were annoyed he’s now moved into us.

Giles Phillips had a good game in defence, he’s at QPR so potentially a loan could be done there.

Jordan Lyden looks very comfortable on the ball, I’ve been impressed with his composure and use of the ball from a deep midfield role in both games, but his injury history may be a concern.

Will be interesting to see who makes the squad for Saturdays game, could we even see a couple sign before then.....

• Jack Grimmer was a standout last night, Jacob Gardiner-Smith and Kairo Edwards-John were the other ones I thought looked good.

• Did David Wates actually come on? Or just there to pad the numbers out?!

• Wates played about the last twenty minutes.

• So do we think the management are running the rule over some decent additions on the whole?

• @Wendoverman said:
    So do we think the management are running the rule over some decent additions on the whole?

In the interviews he seems to be hopeful of getting one or two in but we can't rule out most of the triallists just being there to make up numbers

• Some of them are clearly making up the numbers, Wates and Frempah at least, but I hope the majority are being looked at as potential signings. we’ll have a better idea when more of our injured players are back, hopefully Saturday.