Skip to content

Bayo signed three years ago today

2»

Comments

• Spot on as usual @bookertease. I’d forgotten that Keith Barrett, that swarthy moustachioed central defender, was a contemporary of Noel Ashford. Partnered by Alan Phillips against Middlesbrough but there was another central defender, receding hairline and a rather less prominent moustache, whose name will probably come back to me at 2am.

• Keith Mead

• On reflection I suspect it may have been the guy whose name I can’t recall who partnered Phillips against Middlesbrough.
    Hey ho.

I rang an elderly (even older) acquaintance to see if he could recall the name of Alan Phillips fellow central defender. He couldn’t but he made a comment about “those players would walk into today’s team” which I disputed. Truth is we’ll never know but I wonder if any other survivors of the “golden years” would agree with him.

• Once again Keith Mead

• @ChasHarps said:
    Once again Keith Mead

Say it a third time and he'll appear...

• Great player at the time, sadly my overriding memory of him is the unfortunate own goal at Blyth Spartans which put us out of the last ever FA Amateur Cup.

• Good morning @ChasHarps ! I’ve surfaced at last. Yes, thanks for that and apologies for late acknowledgement.

• Something to thank Gary Waddock for at least eh !!

@Uncle_T said:
    I feel Ainsworth was a more significant signing. If he hadn't been at Wycombe as a player I think it very unlikely he would have become manager; if he had not been manager over the period he has been I believe that Wycombe would very likely not be playing at this high a level this season; if he had not been manager I suspect we may never have signed Bayo.

• Waddock led us to a very enjoyable promotion. The penultimate match away at Bury is one of my favourite ever Wycombe games.

• It is the lot of most football managers that, whatever the highs and lows, their tenure tends to end in disappointment...