Skip to content

Bayo signed three years ago today

Certainly one of, if not the most, significant signing in our football league history.

Comments

• Wycombe Wanderers' greatest ever signing, in my opinion

• Phew ! For a fleeting moment I thought Bayo had signed a three year contract. Certainly one of (and a one off) @floyd.

• Above Steve Brown, Jason Cousins, Dave Carroll and Keith Ryan?

• We didn’t sign the latter three in the football league.

Of those we did I’d put Steve Brown, Martin Taylor, Matt Bloomfield, Paul McCarthy and Sean Devine close to Bayo.

• greatest ever signing ? I think that's pushing it !!

• I would say the closest signing in terms of influence would be Keith Scott.

I was thoroughly underwhelmed by both signings at the time but what great players both became for us.

• Certainly Scottie is the most signficant sale we've ever made. Twice!

• Jordon Ibe must be up there. And Gareth Ainsworth of course.

• Noel Ashford our greatest ever signing bar none.

• Bloomfield (and Tyson), although made by Adams both turned out to be pretty good!

• For all his many faults, Adams did sign a fair few decent players for us, both on loan and permanently. Just a shame he appeared completely blind to the talent he already had in the squad.

• As much as I love Blooms and admire his loyalty, I just don’t think he has influenced on pitch results significantly enough to be considered our best ever signing.

Bayo on the other hand had been a revelation in League Two for two of his seasons in front of goal. From Ainsworth

• Surely no-one can doubt that Bayo has been our biggest ever signing?

• I’m not competent enough (nor do I have a reliable enough memory to compare the hundreds of Wycombe players I’ve had the privilege to watch over the past 52 years) but I agree with @ChasHarps that Noel Ashford was one of the greats and another standout signing for me was the prodigiously talented Nicky Evans, the blonde bombshell !

• Constant comments about his influence off the pitch to, he’s the best signing we’ve made since the century started IMHO.

• Ashford didn't stay around very long, and played at a much lower level.

Keith Scott was very good but was one part of a team packed full of stars. We went on to achieve promotion and finish 6th in the 3rd division (to date our highest ever finish) without him

Akinfenwa has stayed 3 season, and signed up for another year. Would we have got promoted without him? I don't think so. Then there is the influence he has had off the pitch to consider, and the way he has become the idol of pretty much every kid that follows Wycombe.

Everyone will have their favourites, obviously but in terms of what he has been an absolutely crucial part in helping the club achieve, I don't think there's another signing to touch him.

• I feel Ainsworth was a more significant signing. If he hadn't been at Wycombe as a player I think it very unlikely he would have become manager; if he had not been manager over the period he has been I believe that Wycombe would very likely not be playing at this high a level this season; if he had not been manager I suspect we may never have signed Bayo.

• Actually, it's obviously Frank Adams - but he deserves his own classification that the other mere mortals that have donned the famous light and dark blue simply can't attain.

And if we're opening it up to managers, then Martin O'Neill, obviously.

Decent shout on Ainsworth. He's definitely in the conversation

• Of kids everywhere @eric_plant. Global phenomenon? I believe he is, isn’t he?

Since my 3.25 post I’ve been googling Nicky Evans. He wasn’t happy. He was evidently regarded by many Barnet supporters in the ‘eighties as the finest player to grace the Underhill turf. He was one up on Dave Carroll insofar as they referred to him as God. There is some interesting stuff (which I would love to have been able to provide a link for) on the Barnet supporters’ Forum about his sale by Barry Fry to Wycombe (for £32,000) not long after Barnet had stuffed us 7-0 at Loakes Park, with Nicky having scored 4. Apparently, he came second in the vote for Wycombe Man of the Match as a result of Barnet fans having half inched a load of ballot papers. They were up in arms when Nicky was sold to us not long afterwards but a season or two later Barry Fry paid £25,000 to get him back to Underhill.

• We’ve had players score more goals, contribute more assists, and you could maybe even argue we’ve signed players who’ve raised the club’s profile more, or been a bigger positive dressing influence.

But have we ever had one player contribute all of those things simultaneously to such high level, and so consistently over three years, as Akinfenwa?

• The overwhelming reason I plumped for Noel Ashford was because of the significance of the signing. As from the mid to late 70's Wanderers were no longer competing for Non league best players, and the accusations of lack of ambition were constantly being aimed at the Wanderers.
    Then after the despondency of being relegated from the Gola league after only one season, we then sign the maestro of Non league Football. And the enthusiasm that created and an upsurge in attendances, whilst displaying the most sublime technique and football brain, leads me to say he was our most important signing of all time.

• @floyd said:
    Certainly one of, if not the most, significant signing in our football league history.

@Uncle_T said:
    I feel Ainsworth was a more significant signing. If he hadn't been at Wycombe as a player I think it very unlikely he would have become manager; if he had not been manager over the period he has been I believe that Wycombe would very likely not be playing at this high a level this season; if he had not been manager I suspect we may never have signed Bayo.

In the context of the wording of @floyd’s original proposition (ie “significant” being key) I agree 100% with @Uncle_T . We’ve all bandied about the names of players who have excited us and captured our imagination (whatever), and I went on too long about Sir Nicky Evans but the inspiration behind everything on the playing side for virtually a decade has been Gareth Ainsworth. Everyone else pales into insignificance by comparison.
    As Andrew Howard said when Gareth became manager - the perfect fit.

• Terry Evans and Martin Talyor are IMO the best signings ever made by the club however getting Keith Scott to sign a new contract and sell him to Reading 24 hours later is a close third

• I cannot comment on the golden years but for the last two seasons at least I've been more optimistic that we can turn around a one goal deficit than ever before and that is largely down to the ever present threat of Bayo and I think that inspires the players around him. Perhaps not the best...but certainly a really important signing. (ditto Mr Ainsworth)

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:
    Terry Evans and Martin Talyor are IMO the best signings ever made by the club however getting Keith Scott to sign a new contract and sell him to Reading 24 hours later is a close third

As you mentioned it Guppy

• In terms of commitment, Luke O'Nien.

• @micra Ainsworth is definitely the winner when it comes to significance, but on those terms Bayo must be second, for the reasons @eric_plant and @OxfordBlue have mentioned!

• Bayo definitely in terms of raising the club profile, but sorry I wouldn't say in playing terms, most of the names mentioned already I'd say, also Guppy and Garner need a mention

• I can't imagine even the most optimistic fan would have seen Bayo still being here into his 4th season!

• @ChasHarps said:
    The overwhelming reason I plumped for Noel Ashford was because of the significance of the signing. As from the mid to late 70's Wanderers were no longer competing for Non league best players, and the accusations of lack of ambition were constantly being aimed at the Wanderers.

If I remember correctly he was a dual signing with Keith Barrett.(a non league international centre half). It really did seem a statement of intent to get back up to the top level of non-League football after we almost apologetically went up the first time a year or so earlier.

That to me marked the moment we went from being a well-run amateur club with a proud history to a forward-looking semi-professional club with dreams and ambitions beyond being the best non-league club in and around London and started the journey that brought Bayo to us.

I think Bayo’s great worth to us has been in helping develop our club to reflect Ainsworth’s values. Leaving aside the (occasionally justified) comments about our style and gamesmanship, more than anything I think we have become identified as being an honest, hard-working, committed club where everyone works for each other. Bayo is the most visible (deservedly I think) manifestation of that.