Skip to content

Radio Coverage & Blog

Comments

• Exciting indeed...can't use Ringing the Blues though, people will assume it's 48p a minute with Alan Hutchinson.

Early ideas:

Chair and Chair Alike
    Won, drawn and quartered
    Songs from the Big Chair
    Poor man's 1170
    Mr Fox and friends
    Phil your boots
    Tangled up in blues
    Catch up with Catchpole
    Gasroom LIVE

• 48p a minute with Alan Hutchinson - as advertised in the back of Razzle.

• Just Little Wycombe
    Rock and Roll Football
    Tactically Naive
    Upstairs at the Three Kings?

• Can we have crisp reviews?

• @drcongo said:
    Can we have crisp reviews?

I'm not sure I can sustain it for a season doc. Not without serious health issues, anyway.

• I like Catch Up with Catchpole.

• So do I @ValleyWanderer. Don’t mention the marathon!

• For some reason “Up the Pole” came into my head but I don’t think many on here (@wingnut excepted perhaps) will recall that programme.

• @Wendoverman said:

@drcongo said:

I'm not sure I can sustain it for a season doc. Not without serious health issues, anyway.

I never imagined you were really a wimp in the crisp eating stakes!

• @mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:

@drcongo said:

I never imagined you were really a wimp in the crisp eating stakes!

The things we CAN do @mooneyman are not necessarily the things we SHOULD Do!

• Twitter is providing some lovely Ringing The Blues memories with Hutch. Please feel free to share some on here as I think we have our first feature

• Hutch did a great job on Ringing the Blues at a time when very few clubs were providing that kind of service.
    It was a useful source of information for fans and also provided a modest income for the club.
    I took over from him for a couple of years and did loads of interviews with Martin O’Neill and some of the players, but as I recall it ceased to operate once the internet took off and opened up a multitude of new sources of information.

• Silly Little Dream?

• @glasshalffull was there a farewell broadcast or did it just stop? A vital part of the wycombe experience in the late 90s.

• I’m afraid it just faded away.

• I remember calling every 10 minutes for updates from Kettering v Col U towards the end of the 91/92 season. Hutch had gone up there to keep tabs on a huge game for us.

Sadly, the Essex rabble won. I seem to recall it was the last game they had left that we could imagine them dropping points in

• @glasshalffull said:

It was a useful source of information for fans...

For some of us who lived miles away at the time it was the ONLY source of income

• @bookertease said:

@glasshalffull said:

For some of us who lived miles away at the time it was the ONLY source of income

They paid you to listen? The good old days when we had money

• I bet the kids and the bloody over 60s got paid more than everyone else as well @StrongestTeam

• @bookertease said:

@glasshalffull said:

I hope you disclosed this "hidden money" to the Inland Revenue!

• Oh god. It’s been a long day. Income = Information (hence I’m skint - I know nowt)

• Really enjoying the Ringing the Blues memories on Twitter. Some absolute classics and eye-watering bills!

• As Gasroomers will readily believe, I spent hours listening to Hutch’s dulcet tones and I need to know how to claim all that income to partly offset the fortune I must have paid to BT (or was it the Post Office at that time?).
    Sorry @glasshalffull but I don’t recall hearing your Liverpool lilt in the wake of Mr Hutchinson’s stint but I didn’t get Sky until I retired in 1995 so I probably hadn’t heard your voice on air anyway.

• The forerunner to ringing the Blues was the Wycombe Wanderers ansaphone service cutting edge in the mid 1970s The legend John Goldsworthy leaving a message with the score and, if you were lucky the scorers, straight after a home game or as soon as they got back from the away game , on the Loakes Park hotline. This was pre Internet,pre teletext almost pre electricity.

• @Mr67 said:
    The forerunner to ringing the Blues was the Wycombe Wanderers ansaphone service cutting edge in the mid 1970s The legend John Goldsworthy leaving a message with the score and, if you were lucky the scorers, straight after a home game or as soon as they got back from the away game , on the Loakes Park hotline. This was pre Internet,pre teletext almost pre electricity.

Now I'm feeling old... I remember that !

• I remember waiting for ages one winter’s night for the communal phone at uni to be free, just so I could hear Mr Goldsworthy to tell me that we’d drawn 5-5 with Leek Town in the Trophy.

• I think that score went on at 3 in the morning but the memory plays tricks happy days

• Talking investment with Trevor Stroud and the BBC3CR Monday Night Sport chaps last night (scroll to 20 minutes in): https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07d3jxj