Skip to content

More sporting entertainment in the Chair Metropolis

Well summer finally appears to be here! And if you fancy seeing Bucks take on Suffolk in the Minor Counties Championship then High Wycombe CC is the place to be starting on Sunday (3-day match, 11am-7pm). Food & drink available in the clubhouse.

There’s cricket as well on Saturday as High Wycombe play Tring Park in the Home Counties Premier League (11am start). A timed game with a maximum of 120 overs in the day.

Comments

• I will be watching Buckingham Town host Banbury in the HCPL tomorrow. One Town player to look out for is former Northants skipper and South African Test Player Andrew Hall. Now 43 he is still a very good all rounder.

Last Saturday I joined Andy in watching Buckingham play at Tring Park. The match petered out into a tame draw, but it was still a very enjoyable day despite the heat. Plenty of trees to take cover under there, and at HW. Keeping wicket for Tring this season is Chloe Hill, the only female player in the HCPL.

I can't emphasize just how much of a joy it is to see top level club cricket for free, be able to park pitchside, get out your camping chair and have the use of pavilion and bar facilities.

I know this is an age thing, there will only be about 50 spectators there at most, few of them under middle age. I used to make the occasional foray up to Lord's and the Oval, but no more of that time and expense hassle. I find the local experience far superior.

• The first match in the H/W cricket fest ended in a draw but this had some amazing highlights.

High Wycombe were struggling at 70-6 but managed to get to 257 all out in their allotted maximum 64 overs. The penultimate over was bowled for Tring Park by Shelvin Gumbs. Tom Hampton took the fame by the scruff of the neck & helped Wycombe to an incredible 27 off the over: 6, 6, 6, 2, 1, 6.

Tring Park responded to their target of 258 off 56 over pretty well. Michael Payne (Bucks player) Hot am unbeaten 100 but I was particularly impressed by 15 year old Sheridon Gumbs who scored 37 despite some real pressure placed on him.

So a draw was the outcome as Tring Park finished on 229-6. So now it’s the turn of Bucks as they take on Suffolk at High Wycombe over 3 days. 11-7 each day. Worth popping down to London Road to have a look!

• Interesting stuff from Messrs Peart and Worboys and I feel I ought to make the effort and get along to one of these games.

One statistic puzzled me. If I understood it correctly, someone scored 27 in one over but, if the penultimate ball was a single, I assume it was his partner who scored 6 off the last ball?

• After day 1 of the 3-day Minor Counties Championship match at High Wycombe, Bucks were 37-1 at the close off 22 overs. Put into bat by Bucks, Suffolk made a very good 337 all out from 84.1 overs.

The match continues tomorrow with 110 overs due to be played. Bucks will have to bat well to overtake Suffolk’s first innings total. The match resumes at 11am.

• Scorecard here, which is updated during play. The Match Centre tab has video highlights of the day's play from a camera mounted on top of the sight screen, which broadcasts live.

https://www.play-cricket.com/website/results/3887677

• Second day close, Suffolk second innings 132-6 (39) in response to Bucks first innings 291 all out (87.2). Suffolk lead by 178 runs with 4 wickets remaining

Bucks crawled along this morning, bowlers dominant, but gradually gained momentum and some lusty blows at the end brought them to within 46 of Suffolk, which looked unlikely earlier.

Suffolk's second innings collapsed, from 26-0 to 57-5, and Bucks were eyeing a reasonable target to win, but Suffolk recovered well to leave the match finely poised. Bucks will hope to polish off the last four wickets cheaply. It could well be an exciting finish tomorrow, 11 am start.

https://www.play-cricket.com/website/results/3887677

• edited July 2019

A bad morning for Bucks as Suffolk reach 314-8 off 77 overs at lunch. So 282 added for the loss of two wickets. This included a partnership of 136 for the ninth wicket, a record for Suffolk. Their no. 7, Rash, completed his century just before lunch.

Suffolk will probably declare at lunch and set Bucks to get 361, which is highly unlikely.

• Bucks all out for 114 off 39 overs, Suffolk win by 246 runs. Dear oh lore.

Suffolk were better all round, had some very good bowlers and some seriously good batsmen far down the order. There were at least two bad decisions with Bucks batsmen given out, and I watched a whole over, side on to the crease, when the Suffolk bowler overstepped the line every ball. But no sour grapes, Suffolk thoroughly deserved the win. If Bucks had batted first after they won the toss, it might have been closer.

Conner Haddow, forever to be known as Paul Bates' grandson, had a successful debut, a wicket in the first innings and a very useful 27 with the bat, including the most enormous 6. It came down with snow on some way down the road, on the way to the Nags Head (now gone).

Hats off to High Wycombe Cricket Club for superb hospitality, very friendly staff, and good food at very reasonable prices. It has been a very pleasant three days, in spite of the result.

In two weeks time Bucks take on Northumberland at Chesham, when improvement will be needed.