Skip to content

Trust agree deal (in principle) with Major new Shareholder Rob Couhig

Comments

• @glasshalffull said:
    You > @arnos_grove said:

@floyd said:
    Soundly defeated mayoral candidate to 'human rights abuser,' is quite a leap.

Yes, I’ve edited it to make clearer it was a comment on Glasshalf’s comment that appeared to welcome money from anyone at all at all on the basis that we’re strapped for cash.

For the record, I am neutral and curious.

Where did I say that I would ‘welcome money from anyone at all’? And to answer Eric Plant’s comment earlier in the thread, the people who need to ‘get a grip on reality’ are those (and there are more than one) who would consider turning their backs on a potential investor because he’s a Republican and their sympathies lie with the Democrats. You really couldn’t make it up.

Embarrassing stuff

• Guess you’re right Wendoverman. At least you sprinkle your views with eccentric humour rather than put downs so I applaud you for that.

• @glasshalffull :smile: It might be that those of us with no interest in cricket and tennis just get over-excited at any sort of news with regard to the club. I think this new investor sounds interesting and is certainly making all the right noises...whatever his voting record...but the proof will be in the pudding I suppose. (see also Devil in Detail) To be honest watching the Gasroom explode like a box of fireworks as a result of excitement being squirted into the usual mix of disinformation, wild opinion, doom-laden resignation, conjecture and mild to huge indignation is always a hoot. Also I'm not sure I have yet the historic axes to grind that other posters have with each other.
    Perhaps by the time I get my OAP discount...

• @Username said:

No, but being a Republican makes his views even further to the right than the increasingly right wing of our politics here, not particularly compatible with values I'd want WWFC to promote.

Well not necessarily as the GOP is still theoretically a broad church but i am more concerned with his legal dealings in Alabama. A scarily reactionary place.

But the FA has a fit and proper ownership test so I’m confident he’s fine.

• @glasshalffull said:

Where did I say that I would ‘welcome money from anyone at all’? And to answer Eric Plant’s comment earlier in the thread, the people who need to ‘get a grip on reality’ are those (and there are more than one) who would consider turning their backs on a potential investor because he’s a Republican and their sympathies lie with the Democrats. You really couldn’t make it up.

Name them and we'll see if this is true.

• Just for the record, I will remain open minded until we see the detail of the bid.

(but part of me hopes he's a bit more Jacob Javits than Sarah Palin)

• Let's be generous and give him 2 - Oaky and Username

• The minority share part is a done deal isn't it?

• My main question on this new takeover information is why didn't @marlowchair tell us about it ?

• Perhaps this potential improvement in our finances persuaded Gape to sign a new contract.

• @floyd said:
    The minority share part is a done deal isn't it?

"are in advanced discussions" - Don't think so.

• This is fun! People do take what people say far too seriously. Most people on here are just sharing their opinions and thoughts not trying to sabotage any incoming investors.

As a Republican in New Orleans I would imagine Mr Couhig has a rather well-developed thick skin so is highly unlikely to be put off with a few of us on here questioning his political and ethical views in the unlikely event that he was to ever read the waffle on here.

Hard to see this as anything other than a real positive in the short term, with more important questions awaiting in the future, albeit the steps in this direction seem quite carefully planned.

I will of course have to wait for Marlow & Carrot’s assessment before deciding how much Trevor Stroud is screwing us for.

(On a more general point we do all have lines we would draw and we should respect people’s right to decide on these themselves. In recent times mine would be Saudi investors, Derek Adams as manager and DDH as a player. If anyone has.a Republican owner as their line that’s fine and their choice).

• @mooneyman said:
    Perhaps this potential improvement in our finances persuaded Gape to sign a new contract.

No doubt, £10k a week contact ready to sign when its all through, CR7 spotted at Cressex

• @floyd, in the Jan Trust meeting it was stated that vote not technically required for minority shareholding but they would likely hold one anyway.

• I had missed that, thanks @Steve_Peart

• @JohnnyAllAlone said:
    My main question on this new takeover information is why didn't @marlowchair tell us about it ?

He obviously decided Gareth being forced out to QPR was the final straw and has given it all up as a bad job!

• @Chris is right the guys politics should be part of our considerations from what I’ve read he seems to be a bit centrist but it’s definitely worth checking for skeletons.
    On the investment itself I have the previous experience to help and for my own sanity before I drown in posts and points of order what I need to know from the board and the gentleman concerned is.
    1) Is it necessary if so why.
    2) What are we getting.
    3) What are we giving up.
    4) Wheres this taking the club in the years hence.

• @glasshalffull said:
    The fact that he’s a Republican is totally irrelevant in my opinion. We are in a desperate position financially and we can’t afford to dismiss would be investors because we might not agree with their political views.

@glasshalffull, your quote clearly demonstrates that, in your opinion, our desperate financial position trumps (no pun intended) any prospective investor’s political views.

I’m not so ‘anything goes’ I’m afraid.

Again, none of this is aimed at the current investor. I look forward to hearing about his plans.

• Just be positive. He sounds a decent bloke and at least taking a minority investment to start with means he will not initially be at the mercy of the so called supporters negativity that put the other potential investors off.
    For gods sake seek out the positives and enjoy the fact that we have actually found someone to put his money where is mouth is and back our great club.
    COYB!!!!!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Just be positive. He sounds a decent bloke and at least taking a minority investment to start with means he will not initially be at the mercy of the so called supporters negativity that put the other potential investors off.
    For gods sake seek out the positives and enjoy the fact that we have actually found someone to put his money where is mouth is and back our great club.
    COYB!!!!!

1) They all sound decent on the way in
    2) No investor has pulled out citing supporters negativity, scrutiny is a necessary role

• Well said Bluesince1990.

• Do you think that these people cannot use social media and access such sites? Even the Gasroom can be accessed from the USA you know.
    There was much suspicion and negativity about the previous US investor discussions.
    Further, yes they are all good on the way in but you will never find out how good unless you give them a fair crack at the whip @StrongestTeam

• @Blue_since_1990 as I pointed out before...very few of the supporters around me bother with the Gasroom and were quite positive about the last takeover...so if investors were put off by the three people who post on here that would be very disappointing.

• edited July 2019

He obviously decided Gareth being forced out to QPR was the final straw and has given it all up as a bad job!

@Wendoverman - I think the Power Group arranged for the Wycombe Mafia to have him liquidated

• @Blue_since_1990 if Rob Couhig takes offence at a mild bit of scrutiny on the internet, I’m not sure ownership of a football club is in his best interests! But I’m pretty sure that (as someone mentioned upthread) as a New Orleans republican he’s developed a thick skin by now.

• Jesus wept.... new potential investors and all people can talk about is politics !?!?! Really ?

Did anyone know who the last Americans voted for ? Because there was no mention of it, no because it didn't matter. Does anyone know who the current club board vote for ? No, because it doesn't matter. Does anyone know who Gareth and the players vote for ? No, because it doesn't matter !!!

• I do hope so.
    The point is, that I am simply stating that we embrace this opportunity. Yes speculation will be rife and being positive doesn’t mean we cast aside all due diligence.
    With regards to his political preferences, I couldn’t care a damn.

• It's only fair that any prospective owner of Wycombe Wanderers Football Club is held up to scrutiny, and his motives for taking a sizeable stake in our club examined.
    The blanket dismissal of anyone who's been involved in the Republican party isn't constructive, though the sympathisers of that party going to town playing the victim card when a couple of posters suggested misgivings was as amusing as it was predictable. Those who take great pride in calling others 'snowflakes' tend to be about the most irascible, paranoid and easy offended people going from my observations of (and occasional interactions with) them.

Back to the actual business in hand, it's another case of 'show us the money' before any sort of judgement can be made as to the merits of this bid. If it's anything like the figures bandied around by Harman, then it's likely to be 'thanks but no thanks'. Not much to say until then.

• Looking at the s*** shows going on in clubs above around and below us, I cannot believe anybody can complain if people are wary of anybody however rich, experienced and sunny of personality they may be. It is THEIR job to convince Trust members of their loveliness after all.