Skip to content

Gape stays!

Another year of the hest midfielder in the football league. Huge and unexpected news!

Comments

• But just a year, seems to be keeping his options open a little. Was hoping for a 2 year deal

• I'll take it for now... Come Jan if he;s playing well, might be able to cash in..

• I thought the same but when it seemed inevitable that he was going to be off for nothing, another year is great.

• edited July 2019

Wowzers, that is unexpected, especially after all that Portsmouth talk.

A year seems very bizarre. A little bit of a risk for himself too.

• Utterly extraordinary! Sensational! Fantastic!

Well done to GA and all involved.

• What fantastic news!!

• Brilliant news.

• Best signing of the year. Great work everyone involved.

Now, let's get Fred signed up!

• We might have spent all the 500 club money here perhaps, hence only one year contract.

• Great news! I'm really hoping he's here for the full year. Would absolutely love him to stay!

I suspect he'll be moving on by end of August or in January to help cover the American loan! It might be his parting gift for Ainsworth to sign a new deal and then get sold, aka Keith Scott...

Hopefully we will get a sell on clause and some much needed cash, should he depart.

• Simply the hest.

• Alright, he probably wanted to go higher, and /or wanted more money, who wouldn't. Another year at least, maybe longer, maybe sell in January if the interest is there.

Don't care, Top chap, great player, and when the squad is looking thin with limited funds to replace.

Best news we have had in a while.

• What great news. I'd do a cartwheel if I could.

Lots of people backtracking with all sorts of nonsense in posts above. Why would any of these theories be true?

• We are staying up,
    Said we are staying up.

• Great news. Especially as I thought Gaz was taking him to QPR.

• Brilliant work by all concerned and kudos to Gape for sticking with us. A rare rush of pre-season optimism.

• Excellent news.

A good decision on his part too. He's not Championship material quite yet and therefore finding a bigger club in League One where he would be a nailed on first team starter was always going to be a bit of a challenge.

Staying as one of the first names on the team sheet at AP for another year will serve him well.

• Ecstatic. Football is such a year by year sport, and even one more year of this fantastic midfielder is an unexpected boon.

• Great news that Dom will be with us next season.

I feared that his departure would have left a huge hole in our midfield, and without the protection he offers the back four our defence would have been wide open.

• Something very fulfilling about us as a fan group donating money that might have helped get such a great deal over the line.

• Surely we haven’t spent any of the 500 Club money here because the contract was on the table before the 500 club relaunched? We presumably wouldn’t have offered new deals to the three that we did without sticking to a pre-agreed budget that was set before the relaunch.

• Fair point but I think the sentiment is that fans have put in an extra £60k(?) so far on top of what budget there was.

• @Gary We know a contract had already been offered before the 500 club money started to be pledged, but the announcement that a new contract has been signed has come subsequent to that. It is entirely possible that the remuneration initially offered could have been increased during negotiations, after the level of 500 club take up was known.

• edited July 2019

To celebrate, we need a name for the Gape-Curtis midfield axis.

Dompson?
    The Tenacious Twins?
    Customs & Excise?

• This is depressing for some of our regular doom-mongers perhaps we could call them The 'They'll Be Gone In January To Pay Off The Debt' Brothers.

• I can’t decide whether I’m more pleased or amazed

• @Uncle_T said:
    @Gary We know a contract had already been offered before the 500 club money started to be pledged, but the announcement that a new contract has been signed has come subsequent to that. It is entirely possible that the remuneration initially offered could have been increased during negotiations, after the level of 500 club take up was known.

Possibly, and I’m in no way knocking the importance of the scheme, more living in hope that the 500 club kitty may still be untouched, allowing another signing or two on top of what GA has planned.

• @Shev merge a couple of your suggestions into The Dompson Twins.

We’ve got love on our side...

• Though our squad is still thin, we now have a bona fide starting lineup from last season.

Allsop
    Jacobson
    El Abd/Stewart
    Sido
    McCarthy
    Gape
    Thompson
    Freeman/Bloomfield
    Kashket
    Bayo
    Samuel/CMS

That team (including the three alternates) was very competitive last season, and adding some free agent/loanee depth (including hopefully Fred) would see us in a very good spot!