Skip to content

Women's football Are there opportunities for WWFC ?

Following the brilliant win by the Lionessess last night raising the profile of the Women's game ever higher it got me wondering what opportunities ,if any,there are for for WWFC to exploit this? We have our own team and also Reading playing at our stadium at the moment From the commercial point of view is there anything more we should be doing ?

Comments

• I wonder if they could consider playing a game before a home first team game - e.g WWFC women KO at 12 midday and conclude at 2pm, with the first team then warming up from 2 and kicking off at 3. Two games in one for the punter, raises the profile of the women’s team and provides an opportunity to get people in the ground early using the bars etc.

• Could do that early season as the pitch could take it do we have enough changing facilities though ?

• I think the media team (ably assisted by @Steve_Peart on here) do a fine job of promoting the ladies team. I'd prefer it they played at AP rather than Reading, but i understand the economics of the situation...

• Momentarily @floyd I wondered why our ladies were playing in Reading.

• @Glenactico said:
    I wonder if they could consider playing a game before a home first team game - e.g WWFC women KO at 12 midday and conclude at 2pm, with the first team then warming up from 2 and kicking off at 3. Two games in one for the punter, raises the profile of the women’s team and provides an opportunity to get people in the ground early using the bars etc.

That would be great, but I think all women's league games are played on a Sunday.

• Great idea, would be good for the women's team, away fans might make more effort to sit in a 'proper stadium' and might get more people in to see the first game who stay for the second one as well. Perhaps ticketing, staff costs and the state of the ground might be an issue...would the league care that much if our fixtures were switched to Saturdays?

• When they drew MK Dons in the cup last season, playing at AP was considered but the players decided to play on their home pitch, because they felt the 3G surface gave them an advantage.

I believe that WWFC were happy for them to play a game at AP towards the end of the season but there wasn't a suitable one. The club are very protective of the pitch so, as long as Reading are playing here, it seems the Ladies will only get the odd game at AP late on. A game there would greatly raise their profile, but a Saturday game before a men's game might be asking too much for various reasons, not least the potential damage to the pitch. Gareth wants the surface in the best possible condition.

• How much do Reading Ladies pay for the privilege of playing at Adams Park? Does anyone know or care to divulge?

• I have been trying to get an answer to that question for some time albeit via this forum. We don't seem to promote the Sunday ladies game on the Saturday If we have an incentive to increase the gate ie by a percentage of ticket sales and /or food and drink we should be doing so.

• Advertising the Reading ladies games when we have our own team isn't ideal. Can't imagine its not a (small) flat fee from Reading, otherwise we probably would.

• Surely it's all about maximising income from Stadium usage I don't see promoting other events at AP whether football or non football related as detrimental to,what is currently being done but complimentary.

• @Mr67 said:
    Surely it's all about maximising income from Stadium usage I don't see promoting other events at AP whether football or non football related as detrimental to,what is currently being done but complimentary.

Not if its a fixed fee , or we have any interest in our ladies one day playing at AP.

• I agree it would be interesting to know if it's just a fixed fee