Skip to content

A personal theory regarding Sam and Nico

Brentford are back in training today and they appear to have brought in a football management/ coaching team who are hell bent on high fitness levels aided by computer analysis et al.
Just looking at their website, it looks as though Nico is fitting into that model pretty well, at least on day one anyway.
My theory is that Sam may not be as enthusiastic regarding what some of the Brentford supporters are calling ' extreme fitness and conditioning programmes'.
So just a hunch but I feel we may have a far better chance of picking up Sam than we do of Nico.

I would love both but either would add quality.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Don't you think we have high fitness targets then?

• Yes but if you read what these guys have been up to then they appear extreme. No negative intended regarding GA and our coaching team as they do a great job.

• Who knows which of the two is more fond of training. I think Brentfords new methods are a little more sophisticated than just who is the best natural athlete.

The two players are 10 years apart and at very different stages of their careers and lives. Saunders is coming towards the end of his career, has made a few quid along the way and is more likely to be reasonably domestically settled somewhere to the West of london. If he is told (or works out) that he will not play at Brentford, we may be a good option for him, not having to move away from friends and family and likely to play.

yennaris is a young lad, carving out a career. If he is told (or works out) that he will not play at Brentford, he is more likely to be domestically mobile and is more likely to choose the club most likely to pay him well and most likely to develop him upwardly mobile again in his career. Our increasing reputation for developing young players may work in our favour with him more than just our geographic location.

Different players, different factors, who knows whether either may end up at AP.

• Rowe signing may reduce the prospect of Yennaris returning.

• Rowe is a centre back (who can cover CM,RB) , Yennaris is a midfielder (who can cover at RB). Not sure I see the link.

• I think what @micra is probably referring to is that both can do a damn fine job in the Scowen role in front of the back four. I think Rowe may have been signed to play that position rather than at the back, in which case that does seem to reduce the chance of Yennaris coming in.

• I think Rowe was signed as a centre back. Although I don't think we'll sign either Saunders or Yennaris. I'd be delighted to be wrong!

• edited July 2015

Rowe was in the squad last year and wasn't used in the midfield role after Scowen left was he? Bloomfield and Bean both seemed to be preferred in central midfield.

• And I should add whilst I would love to have both of them back, if I had to choose one then I would go for Saunders over Yennaris as I think we need that creative attacking spark more than anything else (now that Rowe can slot into the holding role).

• Fair point @Chris , and this shows the beauty in the versatility that GA likes to have in a lot of his players. Nobody really knows what he is planning but this is an interesting quote from him on an article about Anthony Stewart on getbucks website.

" with Anthony alongside Aaron Pierre, I will say that we'll have one of the quickest centre-back pairings in League Two next season"

Yet I'm not sure Rowe would sign on a 3 year contract if he thought he'd be sitting on the bench again?

• A classic assumption post @DevC . Loving your consistent work. Only the last sentence really matters for those wanting edited highlights.

For what it is worth I can see Danny Rowe as a regular midfield player. He can do the job but he's a defender isn't he? Why put a square peg in a round hole as a first choice?

• If I was going to criticise someone else's post, then I'd make sure mine made sense first!

• @Fidget - yes that's exactly what I have in mind.

• @Right_in_the_Middle - sometimes (albeit rarely) square pegs work ok in round holes. Our Mr Bean being a prime example looking much better at full back!

• Rowe and Pierre have all the makings of a fine centre back pairing. One solid stopper complemented by a player who is comfortable on the ball and can play from the back.

• Just for the record Righty, assumptions are statements of assumed fact and do not by definition get qualified by "more likely" or "may". Statements so qualified are "propositions". Even Geoffrey Howe (the famous "dead sheep" savager) at least took the trouble to get the basic facts right. Try not to be such a pr*t, Righty.

• Dev/Right we all support the same team and as such we have the lot more in common than not. I'm as guilty as the next man for directing my response the comments rather than the person.

• Looks like Gaz has indeed earmarked Rowe for the midfield holding role - http://dld.bz/dJJwm

• Rowe signed on a 3 year contract, definitely was going to be used a lot more than last escapade, which I think is awesome.

• The percentage of professional footballers that are on a fitness level with Multi sport athletes, Rowers, Cyclists, Boxers, Rugby & Judoka is very small. We all remember Superstars footballers were way behind. Apart from a decent recovery time from shuttles and sprints. The very narrow training regime is why they suffer from so many injuries.

• There isn't such thing as a 'fitness level' is there? Footballers will be better at some physical tasks than athletes from those sports listed, and not as good at others. It's a natural part of sports requiring different skill sets.

Who is most fit - Mo Farah, Adebayo Akinfenwa, Aaron Pierre, Aaron Cook or Andy Murray? It's an impossible question to answer.

• I think footballers' general fitness and physique has come on quite a bit since the days of Superstars. But as Chris says, it's horses for courses.

• Take a step back and everyone who has played football at a good level when they were youngsters, would have done other sports, like Athletics (Cross Country), Rugby, Cricket and alike until a certain stage of their career (taken on by a Professional Club) then overnight instructed to stop other sports.

So apart from a few weights which is also monitored (body fat tests) as to much bulk can slow you down and affect the football player's ability to move freely around the field, and the extra weight will increase fatigue, such as the demands of modern players today.

I would say to much football and I am fanboi on a winter break of around 2 weeks, which should help players physically and mentally alot.

• I am lost in admiration of tennis players who often play at high intensity for many hours more than in almost all other sports. Their fitness levels and athleticism are incredible

• Think its a different type of fitness / athleticism in tennis to football, there are many more breaks in action, between points and games & no long runs.
    Seem to remember racing drivers used to do rather well in Superstars, similar fitness to mine - the ability to sit down for long periods?

• Yes, there is an element of sports statistics but end of the day, nothing beats football training like 5 a side, and piggy in the middle. I know it's their job but when I used to watch pre drills before games at Arsenal u16 and 18 it was costant ball control in tight areas when the other sides would do the usual cones and stretches. Nothing beats ball control as you are mentally and physically still getting fit. Try running up and down the pitch a few times.

Not convinced of all this science stuff tbfh, when I coached, we did passive defending to to teach the boys to stay on their feet and show them line etc and prevent injuries just use your imagination and keep it interesting. I would guess most foorballers prefer to train with footballs than a science dude given you quantum physics on your atheltism.

• It has to be a combination of physical fitness training and football training, certainly for professional footballers.

• @Chris said:
    It has to be a combination of physical fitness training and football training, certainly for professional footballers.

Yeah agree, but I bet Brentford got all the new gadgets, that monitor yards covered and heart rate etc etc, more than likely the stats to say when players maybe coming done with man flue or likely to pick up an injury, will be interesting how they progress this season.