Skip to content

Anyone still in favour of var?

Comments

• Oooh you are awful! (But I like you, @Ozzie_the_Relaxed.) Try again, peeps.

• @micra - didn't realise it was a quiz, as it was written like a passing 'aside'. Maybe throw in "oooh Matron!" as an additional clue?

(I can hear the wailing sirens of the Thread Derailment Police... Run!!)

• Frankie Howerd, innit?

• @micra I believe you are quoting the late great Kenneth Williams, me deario. (That VAR just scropes my grummits...)

• Gah, I was getting my 'stop messing abouts' with my 'titter ye nots'.

• Just dragged myself away from the enthralling encounter between England and Australia to have a quick shufti at my beloved Gasroom.

And the prize - a bag of ready assaulted crisps - goes to ...............the Sandy to my Julian.........the fantabulous @Wendoverman.

And a special mention for @MindlessDrugHoover. That made me chortle, too.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Gah, I was getting my 'stop messing abouts' with my 'titter ye nots'.

You are awful, but I like you!

• I did that one over breakfast @EwanHoosaami. (8.20 am post).

• Still, Ozzie will appreciate two likes, I’m sure.

• These new handball in the area rules are so stupid. Any team with any sense should just be aiming for the the opposition defenders' arms. They could get 20 penalties per game.

• Totally agree @drcongo To add insult to injury as well as conceding a penalty you also receive a yellow card for having the ball blasted at you from a yard. 'kin ridiculous.

• The hand still has to be in an unusual position though.
    You won't get a pen smashing the ball at someone's hand down by their side, from 2 yards.

• Yeah but what is an unusual position? Once you raise one foot from the ground to block a shot (as the Japanese player did last night) your arms naturally move away from your sides to maintain balance. I'd suggest tucking your hands behind your back when making a challenge is the more unnatural position.

• Something that makes your body bigger, or extends your frame.

Like the Tottenham clown who was waving his hands above his head in the champions league final.

And a bit harsher, but the PSG guy v Man Utd who had his arms right out.

• The EFL has voted against using VAR in the play-offs.

• Am I right in thinking the laws around handball have been changed purely to help VAR?

The Japan penalty last night would never have been given in the last 100 years.

• The law now seem to stipulate that if the ball hits your arm you're guilty of handball unless you are firmly clutching your buttocks in which case it is accidental.

• I'm looking forward to seeing defenders running around with their arms clamped firmly to their sides.

• @Jonny_King you'll mostly be seeing defenders with their arms clamped around Bayo's neck mate...

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Am I right in thinking the laws around handball have been changed purely to help VAR?

The Japan penalty last night would never have been given in the last 100 years.

Yes.

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry said:
    The law now seem to stipulate that if the ball hits your arm you're guilty of handball unless you are firmly clutching your buttocks in which case it is accidental.

A defender would have to have extremely long arms to be clutching my buttocks, I'm in the back row of the Beachdean!

• me too @EwanHoosaami and obviously a wise choice with these bizarre rule changes...

• A defender would need enormous hands to clutch Bayo's buttocks!

• Can’t remember who said that the antics of Cameroon in the WWC were ‘making a mountain out of a molehill’, but I see that FIFA clearly disagree. They have started disciplinary proceedings against them for team misconduct, offensive behaviour and fair play breaches.
    And rightly so.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Can’t remember who said that the antics of Cameroon in the WWC were ‘making a mountain out of a molehill’, but I see that FIFA clearly disagree. They have started disciplinary proceedings against them for team misconduct, offensive behaviour and fair play breaches.
    And rightly so.

Great to watch a game last night not spoiled by VAR, behaviour or hand ball madness. Whilst I’m not entirely opposed to aspects of VAR the current implementation shouldn’t be used again until it’s had a decent rethink. Maybe trialed extensively in behind closed doors reserve games to work the bugs out, road test tech that can make an instant yes/no decision (ball crossed a line) that the ref receives instantly and dump the awful parts (ref has not stopped game and is then told to stop it).

I wonder if the ref last night had done the sensible thing and broken her comms link so she could just do her job.

• VAR - what is it good for? TV companies, armchair supporters and whining managers. For stadium spectators I think it's good for absolutely nothing.

• VAR is proving to be a bit of headache for the TV companies. On Sunday the evening BBC schedule was at least 15 mins late due to all the VAR 'timeouts'.
    Maybe the unknown length of a game and pressure from TV will stop this farce.

• We'll get timeouts next and games that last a whole day like American sports.

@Manboobs It was a joy wasn't it. The ref only noticeable by the fact that it was so easy to forget she was there. An actual football match happened.

• The tide might start to turn if the US women lose today in part due to a VAR calamity.