Skip to content

Lionel Ritchie at Adams Park

Some old pisshead in the pub last night claimed that Lionel Ritchie once sang at AP. This can't be true surely?

Comments

• I am old but not a pisshead by any stretch of the imagination but I can confirm from vivid memory and a clear head that Mr Ritchie certainly did entertain us in the Woodland Lounge. Oddly, I think his appearance was in conjunction with a broadcast of some consumer programme hosted by a guy who used to risk life and limb in challenging rogue traders. I think it may have been Watchdog and I don’t think Ann Robinson fancied it. The guy (whose name escapes me) is still around.

Can’t remember what he sang. Hello probably.

• Ritchie sang. Not Matt Albright or Alllright as mrs micra thinks the presenter is called.

• @LX1 I'm sure there's a bit on COTN about it somewhere, or possibly an article posted on the old Gasroom that's still there if you want to take a look.

• There is, Jonny, and I tried to find it. But even if I had I wouldn’t have had a clue how to set up a link.

Ritchie of course is not to be confused with the soothsayer of similar name.

• It was a Friday evening match v Notts County I think. F.A. cup?

• @micra That's a good point actually, has anyone ever seen Lionel Ritchie and @rmjlondon in the same room/club shop/Luton Town fan club meeting?

• Always described Lionel Ritchie as a Wycombe fan based on that night.

• It was a strange evening.
    The wife, being a fan of Lionel Ritchie wanted to see him, so we attended the game and sat in a comfy executive box.
    However, it was much more pleasant to sit there and watch him on TV than move the 25yds to the Woodlands to see him in real life.
    Did pass him in the corridor though. Much taller and, according to the wife, not as good looking as you might expect.

• Correction, she now says "He was gorgeous". Must have been me who thought he looked "ugly as hell".

• I probably write this every time this same thread comes up, but it was pretty surreal watching him on tv from home, and then getting on the way to the ground, while he quickly got out of dodge with alacrity.

• Mrs ValleyWanderer was there with me and some pals in a box. We were told we could line up in the corridor to see him pass but absolutely NO handshakes! So what did Mrs VW do? Yes indeed.......stuck out her hand and he shook it! She hasn't washed it since though. I wonder if he is on the potential bidders list??

• @LX1 said:
    Some old pisshead in the pub last night claimed that Lionel Ritchie once sang at AP. This can't be true surely?

LOC

• Line of Cocaine? Surely not Governor.

• Love of Crisps actually @micra.

• Silly me.

• To be fair he sang live and was bloody good.

• Proper old school. A world famous music act sings live and was 'bloody good'.
    That used to happen all the time.

• Before my time in the Thames valley closest I get is Frank Sidebottom doing an impromptu turn in the Manchester HMV when I was a student

• For younger readers he 'sang' not just turned.

• @Wendoverman Frank played the White Horse a few years ago. Some mates were in the support band and even got to wear his head. Some privilege that!

• We played Brentford away on a Saturday, the night Frank played the White Horse, must be close to 20 years ago.

• @arnos_grove privilege it was it really was you know it was

• I’d have paid big to see a Frank Sidebottom Lino Richie duet

• edited July 2019

That's "Assistant Referee Richie" these days @BuckinghamBlue

• edited July 2022

Memories! It was indeed Watchdog and the presenter was Matt Allright (not sure about spelling).

Couldn’t get this into the Vicious Rumours thread!

• Just to clarify that I was responding (all those years ago) to the above fairly characteristic @LX1 OP. Where he now, I wonder?

• Anyone seen Rishi and Richie in the same room? Hello?

• Message to fans from Nathan Bishop: ‘Is it me you’re looking for?’ Ok, I’ll get my coat.