Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• I remember leon crooks being awful in the few games he played for us

• A dreadful defender discussion isn't complete without mention of Gary Wraight and Alan Beeton

• Ingram has got more competition at QPR as they have just signed another keeper.

• edited June 2019

@WestLondonWanderer said:
    A dreadful defender discussion isn't complete without mention of Gary Wraight and Alan Beeton

Gary Wraight.
    That takes me back to being at secondary school, and a season ticket holder saying to me when I mentioned him signing a contract, "Wraight? He isn't going to play".

And he was right.

On about our young right backs, it's still strange how Townsend did well enough to get into the FA cup semi final team, but then pretty much disappeared off the scene after.

• Honorable mention to Lee Holsgrove - who was absolutely dreadful

• @Malone Seem to remember Townsend got a really bad injury (v Brentford in the Mickey Mouse Cup IIRR), and that was the beginning of the end for him.

• Townsend was a weird one. Didn't look at all out of place during the cup run and thought we'd unearthed a real gem, then just vanished off the face of the earth.

See also; Reilly, Andrew.

• And Martyn Lee

• Reilly chose to pursue a degree instead didn't he?

Lee I never really saw it in as much to be honest.

But either way, there's so many younguns that drop out of it, that you really can't blame them for pursuing their "big" move when they get the chance.

• Mo Harkin should have gone on to have a better career than he did. Suffered with injuries unfortunately

• edited June 2019

Matt Brady's in that category for me as well.

Didn't Andy Reilly play for Scotland U21s?

• Craig Faulconbridge too. Looked really promising early on before injuries got him.

• I thought Jonny Dixon would go further than he did as well but I'm not sure he was ever really that into football

• @eric_plant said:
    Mo Harkin should have gone on to have a better career than he did. Suffered with injuries unfortunately

I still remember the buzz around Harkin - as he was just a bit older than me and my school lot.

I remember a game against Basingstoke where his stock seemed to massively dip, after a very luxurious performance from him.

• @Tom said:
    Honorable mention to Lee Holsgrove - who was absolutely dreadful

My only memory of Holsgrove is the two legs of the League Cup versus Wolves. After the game at Molineux, two Wolves supporters I worked with waxed lyrical about Holsgrove, confidently predicted he'd be playing at a high-level and hoped Wolves would use some of the money they received for Robbie Keane on him.

• Lee Holsgrove was a great player

• edited June 2019

These names strike a chord deep in my heart. Remember when Tony Clarke was Wycombe's entire youth team?

• @floyd He did, after just a handful of games for us. I remember his debut against Col U in the JPT, such an assured performance.

Martyn Lee was superb on occassion and had a great left foot. I remember once claiming he only failed to establish himself because of having Bulman, Simpson, Brown and Ryan ahead of him, but he quickly disappeared down the leagues after he left.

• Sam Saunders has announced his retirement from football. Must be a sad day in any player's life, even ones who've been lucky enough to have had a long career.

• Sam Saunders becomed Brentford B Team Assistant Coach

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2019/june/sam-saunders-brentford-b/

• This might suggest there was no falling out with Gaz...impossible wage demands...secret power group blacklisting... Good Luck to Sam for the future. We saw glimpses as they say...

• Aaron Pierre signs for Shrewsbury...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48750753

• And talking of Aaron’s, Holloway has joined Brisbane Roar.

• edited June 2019

Paul Hayes officially retires from playing:

• Martin has been sacked by Forest.

• That's a shame.

Probably his last management job but I wonder if he would like to stay involved in the game as perhaps chairman/head of investor consortium.

@glasshalffull to the toilets please. Duty beckons...........

• Poor old MON, Championship is a cruel workplace...I bet they waited until Keano was well away from the building...

• Apparently Martin "lost the dressing room". Player power strikes again.

• Player power and weak ownership is in place right across the Championship..get a manager who is more popular with the fans than the owners? Sack! Get a manager more popular with the players than the owner? Sack! Manager doing well at top of table but owner has never heard of him? Sack! Players don't like manager managing? Sack! Players on big wages not performing? Sack and call Steve Mclaren/Steve Bruce...

• What on earth?! He was only there less than half a season wasn't he!

A real shame, and it does look like he's easing down after a few underwhelming jobs. At 67 he's entitled to finish.

Though I see he's linked with Newcastle! Surely not.