Skip to content

Anyone still in favour of var?

Comments

• Simple. The disbenefits outweigh the benefits on the experience and evidence so far.

• I would respond to your post @mooneyman but as it is just the usual personal abuse that forums seem to thrive on, there is not really much to say.

Perhaps instead I could ask you a question that I am sure will be of interest to many. How does the women’s World Cup compare in terms of feel on the ground compared to say Russia 18 or the nations league thingy? Has France really embraced it?

• My post was not intended as abuse, just merely trying to highlight to you that those actually attending matches see the VAR differently to those sitting in an armchair.

• You didnt answer my question about how this World Cup compares on the ground to recent men’s tournaments @mooneyman .
    Genuinely interested.

• Genuinely fuck off Dev.

• @DevC said:
    You didnt answer my question about how this World Cup compares on the ground to recent men’s tournaments @mooneyman .
    Genuinely interested.

Is he there?

• If you call large sections of fans chanting "VAR is f**ing sht" or "f*ck VAR" over and over then I guess you could say it adds something to the atmosphere, that might be a little generous though.

• He'll never have heard that though, you'd have to watch a game.

• @mooneyman isn’t there, are you? If so, comment allez vous?

• Time to leave this conversation. For a while a sensible exchange of views. Didn’t take long though before it descended to abuse. Ho hum

@drcongo does seems to get angry very quickly whenever anyone dares to disagree with him. I can only assume he voted Brexit.

@StrongestTeam , football supporters chant lots of things when their team has been denied a goal. despite their earnest assertions I’m pretty sure York is not a shithole and in truth WWFC are not the greatest football team the world has ever seen. It is possible though that the referee has had the odd date with Mrs Palmer and her five daughters.

I assume @mooneyman is in France as he wAs so vehement in his criticism of my forming my views on the use of VAR in this tournament by sitting on my sofa in front of the tv. It would be quite staggeringly hypocritical if he had formed his sitting on his sofa in front of his t.v. I suppose it doesn’t really matter though.

All of course are however entitled to their opinions but for me preventing Neymars dive and Rivaldo’s ball in face and Maradonas handball and ensuring that the right team won the Tottenham - Man City game etc etc makes VAR a good addition to the game albeit an imperfect one.

• I'm back now after a round of golf. Have I been missed!

• The only way I think it would work successfully was if the VAR ‘panel’ only had the authority to intervene whenever they saw something that proved that the referee (or referee’s assistant) had made the wrong decision.

They would then overrule the original decision without reference to the referee.

To me this would take out the real errors but leave the refereeing to the ref 99.9% of the time.

We run the risk otherwise of the refs not bothering to make decisions, rather like the referee’s assistants.

• To be honest @DevC I would hope that the vast majority of us on here have formed our view from watching it on TV given that hopefully we won’t ever see it at our level.

I don’t think it unreasonable to extrapolate what we have seen from that to the potential experience of witnessing from inside the stadium, although of course you are as capable of doing that as the rest of us.

The gibe that I think @mooneyman meant a bit with his tongue in his cheek, doesn’t really work however given that people who watch every Wycombe game are as likely to actually witness it live as people who watch 1, 2 or 0.

• @bookertease - To clarify, I personally would prefer to watch games at our level without VAR interfering with my enjoyment and flow of the game.

I am happy to accept the refereeing mistakes on the basis that by the law of averages they even out over a season.

Goal line technology is fine.

• Don’t worry @mooneyman I did get that and fully agree with you. I also think we don’t need to worry too much.

With a bit of luck it will piss those who actually go to the Chelsea’s and Arsenal’s of this world from HW to the extent that they may come to the purer form of football at Adams Park.

• I’m not angry with you disagreeing with me Dev, a sign of your poor comprehension skills again. I got angry because yet another thread got hijacked by you petulantly demanding that others answer your stupid questions. It’s tiring for us. I can’t imagine how awful it must be to actually be you.

• I like Dev on his WHC thread. Different Dev.

• Same.

• @DevC ... perhaps, as you like to ask others to explain themselves, you might care to account for the following ridiculous generalisation:-

@drcongo does seems to get angry very quickly whenever anyone dares to disagree with him. I can only assume he voted Brexit.

• I suspect Dev's response will be, "provide me evidence that the Dr doesn't get angry and that he didn't vote Brexit".

• @Cyclops said:
    @DevC ... perhaps, as you like to ask others to explain themselves, you might care to account for the following ridiculous generalisation:-

Don't engage him

• @DevC said:
    You didnt answer my question about how this World Cup compares on the ground to recent men’s tournaments @mooneyman .
    Genuinely interested.

The classic
    "ANSWER MY QUESTION"

DOFL

• @eric_plant said:

@Cyclops said:
    @DevC ... perhaps, as you like to ask others to explain themselves, you might care to account for the following ridiculous generalisation:-

Don't engage him

Simple as this.

• VAR is steaming pile of skidmarked pants. Until a VAR decision goes England's way, then it's what the game's been crying out for for years.

• Certainly wouldn't have wanted the VAR out for that 3rd goal in 66!
    They say Roger Hunt "gave" the goal by not bothering to put the ball in, but it'd bounced quite high by the time he got there.

A disallowed one v Germany in 70, and obvs Maradona could have seen us on the path to 2 more world cups though.
    Although in 70, subbing Bobby Charlton at 2-0 up (I think?) wasn't smart!

• Penalties now being retaken for a goalkeeper having half a foot off the line, twice in a few days. Can't even celebrate penalty saves now, let alone goals. Anyone who thinks that VAR is improving the game is simply wrong, fucking useless... and I'm not even Scottish!

• Absolute joke. Anyone in favour of VAR after that has no soul and no love for football.

• I've got a image in my head of DevC in a bar in Glasgow, loudly stating in a 'Mr Brittas' voice 'But the correct decision was reached!'

• I then have the image of DevC being on the end of a 'Glasgee Kiss', before him pleading he loved Scotland both Protestant and Catholics as Mo Johnston has played for his beloved Hornets.

• That VAR took about 10 minutes to sort out too and we only got 5 minutes added time. Utter nonsense.