Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• And so the rumours begin...

• Dannie Bulman signs a new contract with Crawley Town. At age 40!

• How long ago did Bulman play his last game for us? Which manager let him go?

One part me wonders if he could have a 20 year club legend for us

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    How long ago did Bulman play his last game for us? Which manager let him go?

One part me wonders if he could have a 20 year club legend for us

Played from '98-'04 and was released by Tony Adams.

• Mike Williamson announced as the new Gateshead manager

• @th100 said:
    Mike Williamson announced as the new Gateshead manager

Great player. Good luck to him.

• One of my all time favourite Wycombe players. Some fun stuff going on at Gateshead but I hope he is successful

• That last 6 months we had Williamson was a real treat. Just sheer quality.
    I'd say it's a tough one him versus Mawson as our best centre back in the league days.

• The quality of some of the centre backs we’ve had over the years is crazy. Steven Taylor is still the best for me, followed by Mawson. Closely followed by Luke Oliver of course.

• Of course!

• I loved watching Williamson go on a foray up the field (same applies to Mawson). He was so good at dropping the shoulder and leaving the player behind.

• I know it's a Gasroom knee-jerk to reach for Luke Oliver as a McGorry-like example of ordinariness. Yet in that period, he was actually better than Michael Duberry. And, I imagine, about a fifth of the cost.

• Brian McGorry......dear oh lore

Alan Smith preferred him to Steve Thompson

Imagine that

• @our_frank said:
    I know it's a Gasroom knee-jerk to reach for Luke Oliver as a McGorry-like example of ordinariness. Yet in that period, he was actually better than Michael Duberry. And, I imagine, about a fifth of the cost.

And both of them a league above Mark Foran.

• wasn't Willo our top scorer at one point in the Taylor promotion season?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@our_frank said:
    I know it's a Gasroom knee-jerk to reach for Luke Oliver as a McGorry-like example of ordinariness. Yet in that period, he was actually better than Michael Duberry. And, I imagine, about a fifth of the cost.

And both of them a league above Mark Foran.

He went on to have a reasonable career didn't he?

Amazing really. Easily one of the worst players I've ever seen play for us and to this day the only time I've witnessed Wycombe fans celebrate one of their own players being sent off

• Luckily I never saw Carlos Lopez in his Wycombe cameo, so Foran is the worst player I can ever recall playing for us. Probably the only time I've ever thought "they'd do better with me out there".

• Carlos Lopez belongs in a category all to himself

Foran was the reincarnation of Bobby Moore by comparison

• Andy Thomson anyone?

• Always interests me how a best player debate so often turns in to a worst player debate on a heartbeat.
    We have been so lucky to see so many great defenders at Wycombe.

• *cough* Trevor Aylott *cough*

• @our_frank said:

Better than Duberry is no level to judge on.

Oliver is a guy we released into non league. We were then in such massive turmoil after "that" Hayes summer that we were into the 5th and 6th choice bargan barrel, of which Oliver was at the bottom of.

• He played 100 games for Bradford after leaving us. Not that he wasn’t dreadful. To be fair to him I think I remember seeing him play OK in one game, which is an improvement on Duberry.

• I seem to recall a game where he missed three headers at set pieces for us...and then scored an own goal. Poor old Luke...

• Andy Thomson was alright I thought. Certainly a few notches above the others mentioned on here

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Always interests me how a best player debate so often turns in to a worst player debate on a heartbeat.
    We have been so lucky to see so many great defenders at Wycombe.

Just a fun chat Righty. I'm enjoying it

• Just remembered Steve Dell

• Thomson was fine, if a little immobile.

• Gary Silk, a loanee from around that era, is now physio at Leicester.

• edited June 2019

It is all about opinions, but I thought Thomson was utterly dreadful.

Seemingly signed on the back of a strong defensive showing from Bristol Rovers defence against us in a 1-0 win, I swear we signed the wrong part of the centre back duo.> @Chris said:

He played 100 games for Bradford after leaving us. Not that he wasn’t dreadful. To be fair to him I think I remember seeing him play OK in one game, which is an improvement on Duberry.

A lot for Taylor though right? He did love a mate. Almost Waddock esque.
    And to think people say Gaz signs and plays his mates!