Skip to content

Permanent signings

13»

Comments

• edited May 2019

Bayo confirms he wants to play one more season at the end of this video, hopefully he wants to play it with us:

• Looks to me like a "come and get me" plea to Northampton.

• edited May 2019

For a second I thought they were trying to say that 19 goals in 83 games was his record for us

• @Malone said:
    For a second I thought they were trying to say that 19 goals in 83 games was his record for us

They made a mess of that graphic alright

• What was it supposed to mean?

• I think it was the one for AFC Wimbledon that they used again in error.

• Yeah even the shirts in the background are Wimbledon. The only thing they changed was the name of the club

• edited May 2019

If, worst case scenario, none of Bayo, Gape and Kashket sign new deals, we're left with 12 players - and that's assuming no one else gets lured away. We could end up having to bring in six just to be able to name a full matchday squad, and Gareth has already said we're not likely to bring in many permanent signings. We could have to rely on loanees more than we ever have - maybe more than any League club ever has. That said, if we're able to succeed with that model, could other clubs in similarly difficult financial positions follow suit in future? Could smaller 'core' squads of 15 or so contracted players even become the norm eventually?

• edited May 2019

Certainly made him look way less effective than he's been.
    I always dislike it when they only quote league goals for one thing, but for overall goals, he's got us an 18 and a 19 (I think) in 45-50 odd appearances in each of his first 2 years.
    Excellent stuff

• It's pretty poor to get that wrong. I guess they figure that deigning to show anything about the lower leagues is charitable enough, without needing to get facts straight...

• @th100 said:
    If, worst case scenario, none of Bayo, Gape and Kashket sign new deals, we're left with 12 players - and that's assuming no one else gets lured away. We could end up having to bring in six just to be able to name a full matchday squad, and Gareth has already said we're not likely to bring in many permanent signings. We could have to rely on loanees more than we ever have - maybe more than any League club ever has. That said, if we're able to succeed with that model, could other clubs in similarly difficult financial positions follow suit in future? Could smaller 'core' squads of 15 or so contracted players even become the norm eventually?

I think the “unlikely to make permanent signings” was the headline act in expectation management. I also think it was more applicable in the case Dominic, Bayo and Scott sign new deals. If they don’t, their respective salaries could be used for permanent signings.

• Hopefully at least 2 of the 3, have already agreed terms, maybe even signed, and there's no actual rush to announce anything?

Gape would be the massive surprise to stay, the other two I'd expect to stay on

• Worst case scenario: we are in league one next season with a low budget and a small squad of players.

• Gape signing a new deal would seriously change the current narrative. I am hoping he's not buying the concern around the player release press statements.
    Why would he want to sign up if that was the full story.

• Hopefully all 3 lads are on holiday, nice contract offer safely in hand, and will sort if when they've had a break.

I'm also hopeful that all other clubs take the same view that someone on here (whose name I forget) took, that Gape is average!!

• So Villa are up - Kortney Hause could yet end up being the most important signing of the summer for us!