Skip to content

Permanent signings

Comments

• edited May 2019

• That is some uncomfortable viewing.

• Winchester have less. Making your post bizarre.

• I'm already a real bore on this subject but there is no need for us to ever employ a permanent goalkeeper

Costs us countless points a season

• Is it better to have come for a cross and dropped it or never to have come for the cross at all?

• @eric_plant said:
    I'm already a real bore on this subject but there is no need for us to ever employ a permanent goalkeeper

Costs us countless points a season

So only permanent goal keepers make mistakes?

Blackman for example didn't make any points dropping errors at all?

• Blackman was far better than any keeper we could permanently sign.

• But that doesn’t mean we’d always be able to get loan keepers of his quality.

A few years ago our loan keeper of choice was Ryan Allsop (and he did a very good job.)

• That's a good point - Allsop was meant to be that ideal scenario - a quality keeper who we own. Hasn't quite worked that way so far.

• Allsop like Ingram has regressed. Tends to happen quite often with keepers as confidence is vital, just look at Joe Hart.

• Meanwhile, Scott Brown was voted Port Vale's player of the season (not that we were able to keep him anyway). Good on him.

• Ingram didn’t look like he had regressed at Sunderland, if anything he looked more confident and assured than when he was a Wycombe player.

• Couldn’t agree more, he looked a class act.

He’s a class above Rocky and about three above Archer.

• wonder when we hear on whether the 3 players that we have offered contracts to will accept or not ....

• @Wanderers82 said:
    wonder when we hear on whether the 3 players that we have offered contracts to will accept or not ....

I would be surprised if there was no news by this Thursday. Perhaps they are holding out for something?

• Joe Jacobson's new deal was not announced till June 26th last year.

• @thedieharder said:

@Wanderers82 said:
    wonder when we hear on whether the 3 players that we have offered contracts to will accept or not ....

I would be surprised if there was no news by this Thursday. Perhaps they are holding out for something?

Why Thursday out of interest?

• It'd be interesting to actually know the ins and outs of what is involved in a contract.

As fans we just think it's a case of

we offer £600
    they want £700
    we agree £650, and 2 year deal.
    Plus they sit on the club incentive scheme.

Would be interesting to hear what other stuff is in there, and what takes so long.
    (Bar the weighing up other offers)

• I agree @Malone, and I wonder if there is at least a degree of "I will mull this offer over while on my vacation (and also wait to see if any other offers come in from other clubs in the meantime)"

• I suppose elements like the players house help, as the club could offer reduced rent as a good way to offset paying lower wages.
    Free food in the canteen etc?
    Days off, for the likes of Bayo etc?

But then maybe it's the other way too, certain amount of media work to be done.

We must set deadlines for contracts to be signed as well.

I would ask Mr Marlow chair, but he seems to have disappeared totally after the "Gareth is definitely off", and "I don't speculate" whole situation.

• @Malone said:

@thedieharder said:

@Wanderers82 said:

Why Thursday out of interest?

Exactly 2 weeks since we offered the new contracts

• There is unlikely to be any official announcements yet because contracts generally run from the calendar year 1st July to 30th June so technically clubs can be accused of ‘tapping up’ if they were to announce that they were signing x y or z. Whilst all clubs do it in one form or another and generally accept it being done to them it seems to be seen as ungentlemanly conduct if you are too brazen about it!!!

The way clubs circumvent these tapping up accusations is that the transferring club will announce that player x has turned down the offered contract normally whilst saying that negotiations are ongoing and then lo and behold the signing club a couple of days later announce that they will be signing player x from 1st July, hence giving the impression that they didn’t start negotiations until they were given the red light to do so.

• @Shev said:
    Meanwhile, Scott Brown was voted Port Vale's player of the season (not that we were able to keep him anyway). Good on him.

I think we tried to keep him and he was offered a contract... But he was offered League 1 money to play in League 2 (comfortable level for him) and be closer to home. No brainer for him...

• @Malone said:
    It'd be interesting to actually know the ins and outs of what is involved in a contract.

As fans we just think it's a case of

we offer £600
    they want £700
    we agree £650, and 2 year deal.
    Plus they sit on the club incentive scheme.

Would be interesting to hear what other stuff is in there, and what takes so long.
    (Bar the weighing up other offers)

I've got friends that are pros in various leagues and there is so much they get, or try to get, included in their contracts...

weekly wage
    appearance fee (start)
    appearance fee (from bench)
    home win bonus
    away win bonus
    home goal bonus
    away goal bonus
    assists
    total goals
    money per point e.g £100 per point paid as a lump sum at the end of the season

I'm sure there is much more obscure stuff in there too!

I had a non league friend who (if he started away from home, won and scored a hat trick) took home something like £900 that week instead of his usual £300 odd flat weekly wage...

• We’ll probably hear about departing players from their new clubs Twitter, and players who have re-signed by seeing them in the ‘first day back at training’ feature.

• Interesting to read @rg9wwfc , and I hoped someone would know someone for an inside look (proper one, not Marlow chair style)

Listening to the Peter Crouch podcasts, he says that players can get a team bonus, just by being in the matchday squad. I think, though am not sure that he actually said it even applied to the 3rd choice keeper, who never got near the pitch, or even bench, yet still got the squad bonus!
    And players routinely got bonuses just for getting on the bench!

Madness.

• @rg9wwfc said:

@Shev said:
    Meanwhile, Scott Brown was voted Port Vale's player of the season (not that we were able to keep him anyway). Good on him.

I think we tried to keep him and he was offered a contract... But he was offered League 1 money to play in League 2 (comfortable level for him) and be closer to home. No brainer for him...

Yes, that's what I remember too. There was nothing we could really do, and I am happy for him - he is evidently already a bit of a hero there.

• @Malone said:
    Interesting to read @rg9wwfc , and I hoped someone would know someone for an inside look (proper one, not Marlow chair style)

Eh?

• @YorkExile said:

@Malone said:
    Interesting to read @rg9wwfc , and I hoped someone would know someone for an inside look (proper one, not Marlow chair style)

Eh?

Actual inside knowledge.
    Not the dubious type.