Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• But a ‘double’ means winning both in the same season doesn’t it? It’s before my time but I’d always assumed that the Trophy was the successor of the FAA Cup...

• Didn't Wealdstone do it in the mid-80s?

• 1985 yeah

Also, they who shall not be named from Essex. Fair enough if you refuse to recognise that

• Wealdstone like to say they are the only part-time team to do the non-league double. Scum would have been full-time when they did it in 92, were we in 93? I think some players were still part-time

Our record in the various FA cups is oustanding, winners of FAAC and FAT, semi-finalists in FAC, can that really be bettered? Maybe Wimbledon, FAAC and FAC winners.

Middlesbrough have won FAAC twice, and been FAC finalists. Wealdstone and Enfield have won FAAC and FAT. Fylde FAV (as Kirkham and Wesham) and FAT. I'm sure there are some other doubles.

• Kingstonian have won FAAC and FAT.

• @Steve_Peart FAC SF, FLC SF, FAAC Winners, FAT Winners, I guess we're the only team to have at least reached the semi-finals in four national cup competitions.

• Plus the semis of the Football League Trophy, for what that's worth.

• Football started in 1993. Except when it's convenient.

• Pretty certain we were still part time in '93

Don't think we went full time until we were in the football league

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    @Steve_Peart FAC SF, FLC SF, FAAC Winners, FAT Winners, I guess we're the only team to have at least reached the semi-finals in four national cup competitions.

Wigan arguably have a better record. FA Cup winners, League Cup finalist, Community Shield runner up, FL Trophy winner and FA Trophy finalist.

• @mooneyman Must admit, that's a pretty good record. Wigan never really crossed my mind.

• But Wigan have done nothing in Europe, Weve won both the Anglo-Italian and San Am Cups !!

• Not to mention zillions of charity cups!

• Time to resurrect the Battle of Britain Cup! (Or should it now be the Battle for Britain Cup).

• Don’t remember the San Am Cup but the second leg where we won the Anglo-Italian Cup (vs Monza?) was a special night at Loakes Park.

• The San-Am Cup was some bizarre pre-season tournament in Ibiza when John Gorman was manager. Think we beat Oldham on penalties?

• I can only imagine what the travelling OWWSA contingent made of Ibiza...

• Without researching wasn’t the San-Am Cup win included John Salako in the squad?

• Graham Potter appointed manager of Brighton (and yes the Titanic has sunk.....)

• @Kimble_Blue said:
    Without researching wasn’t the San-Am Cup win included John Salako in the squad?

Yes Salako played, Kevin Betsy came on wearing a sombrairo . Ikechi Anya player of the tournament.
    It was an excellent trip !!

• @TwinBrother said:
    Graham Potter appointed manager of Brighton (and yes the Titanic has sunk.....)

Anyone remember his 3 games?

• Conference winning season wasn't it?

Got through a few loanee full backs - him, Les Thompson, Geoff Cooper

• @peterparrotface said:

@TwinBrother said:
    Graham Potter appointed manager of Brighton (and yes the Titanic has sunk.....)

Anyone remember his 3 games?

Yep, there are few players who played about 3 games, Jon Mattock, Andy Turner, Peter Johnson, Jon Deakin....

• How definitive can you get?!

• Good to get back to ex-players though, whether 99% of us had heard of them or not. Demonstrates phenomenal dedication, memory and/or research.

• Garry Thompson has joined Bradford Park Avenue as player/manager.

• Matt Harrold has extended his contract at Leyton Orient for another season.

• Wait, I tried to post that days ago in the nickname quiz thread and it never posted. No idea why its now cropped up here. Just ignore it/me.

• Ben Siegrist having an absolute blinder for Dundee Utd in the Scottish Championship Playoff Final against St Mirren - who have Stephen McGinn playing for them.