Skip to content

Reasons to be Cheerful 1 2 3

2»

Comments

• I did not notice a lack of togetherness either. I would suggest it was exactly that that kept.us up despite a terrible post Christmas run.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I didn't say the squad had a 'lack of togetherness' - I queried whether we could say for certain that it has the best unity and team spirit in League One and made the point that it appeared less together then it did in the promotion winning season. Likewise, I didn't say Bayo never trained with the team, I queried whether you could justify saying he trains as hard as any other professional footballer.

My point is thus: we're in a tight spot at the moment and we need to be as dispassionate as we can in order to stand the best chance of navigating it successfully. The time for wild optimism and passion is when we have a team to cheer on from August. Now we need to keep a cool head, analyse our strengths and weaknesses, and address them as best we can.

When it comes to team spirit, sure we have it. But do we have more of it than Accrington? Or Wimbledon, who certainly displayed more in that recent match? Or Oxford or Bristol Rovers, who both successfully clambered out of the relegation zone after bad starts? Or Luton or Barnsley, one who got a second successive promotion, the other who bounced back ahead of more favoured teams? That's not to take away from our spirit or our achievements - but to hope that gives that us an advantage next season, especially despite losing some of the biggest characters in the squad, is something I don't think we can count on.

And Bayo. I'm pleased you've watched him train on his social media accounts. I don't want to come across as too critical but I could counter with the fact he didn't train last summer; took a week off at a crucial period this winter to go to the Superbowl; hell, even the fact that he messes around with the ball in the centre circle before each match rather than practice his shooting with the other forwards.

He's been offered a new contract but has yet to agree terms. I'm told from 'an authoritative source', as I believe the euphemism is, that the issue is wages. That's entirely unsurprising - that's probably the case with 95% of contracts offered but not signed at all clubs. But I hope, as the club looks dispassionately at its situation this summer, it is sensible in negotiations with Bayo. With a very limited pot of money to spend, I really hope we don't break the bank to keep a player who has had a glorious past at the club but who now maybe better suited elsewhere.

• Wow

Give yourself a few weeks off mate, not healthy being this concerned already

• @aloysius is right if only he practiced shooting before a match our top scorer would have scored some goals although does anyone else notice that in shooting practice the boys tend to miss more than they score?

• @Wendoverman said:
    @aloysius is right if only he practiced shooting before a match our top scorer would have scored some goals although does anyone else notice that in shooting practice the boys tend to miss more than they score?

This is a sneaky ploy by the club to maximise beverage sales as every wildly overhit shot in the warm-up is another tea, coffee or Bovril sent flying and in need of replenishment.

• @aloysius I bet you are fuming each home game watching Bayo go through is own pre match routine rather than join in the shooting practice.

His man management by Ainsworth is amazing. We pay him below his market rate but allow him to make that up and more by allowing him time out. This helps him rest, promote his brands abd as a result give the club higher visability.
    This seems to be accepted by the rest if the squad and he doesn't appear as anything other than a key squad member.

If you have an evidence that Bayo isn't one of the best finishers the club has then I'll give you the not practicing pre game nonsense. I'd love to see him mentor his replacement next season but fear his knee might be the main factor being discussed around his new contract

• Bayo needs a different type of training to others in the squad and therefore I would not expect him to join his teammates in all sessions. I suspect he spends a lot longer in the gym with weight training etc than the others.

• Can it be standing onside, being in a perfect position and running about three or four yards toward their goal or heading a ball away from danger in our box needs slightly less intensive work?

• Nails and heads come to mind @Wendoverman. A special case if ever there was one!

I will cheerfully predict that our average home gate next season will be higher than last season’s provided Bayo stays and the Charltons of this world don’t claim postponements because they have two or three “internationals” in their 35 man squads.

Since the introduction of free entry for 12s and under (under 12s ?), the numbers in the Frank Adams stand have increased and chanting occasionally breaks out. I reckon that trend will continue. We still don’t hear a lot of noise from the Beechdean though. Well, put it this way, I don’t.

• Terry Evans just used to sit with ice on his knees between games didn't he?

• @micra the Beechdean is the silent majority.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • There were times Steve Brown came to training and MO’N would tell him to have a hot bath and go home.

• @aloysius I think you may have misjudged the mood of the gasroom!

I will add to the kicking a bit though

“...we're in a tight spot at the moment and we need to be as dispassionate as we can in order to stand the best chance of navigating it successfully...”

We? I hope the board and management team do but I really don’t think it matters whether us supporters are.

“The time for wild optimism and passion is when we have a team to cheer on from August...”

Speak for yourself! This is peak wild optimism time for me. Once reality bites Thats when pessimism kicks in.

In fairness your observation that we need to be careful about constructing trueisms on scant evidence is valid but I actually think there is quite a bit to support our ‘celebrated’ team-spirit. To the other comments l’ll add the comments from opposing managers about how much our players work for each other.

• Once they have my money I try my best to be wildly optimistic...

• We seem to be a club that players are keen to return to for a second spell, which is at least suggestive of a positive atmosphere.

• Yep - there's been so many who have chosen to return, it cannot be a coincidence.

In this cynical footy world, I genuinely believe Ainsworth has created one heck of an atmosphere. From the player's house, that is a genius idea, to the little days out learning stuff, totally away from football - he's a credit, and anyone coming in would have a really difficult job in all ways.

• On another note, has @marlowchair scuttled back in to sight yet?

Am really intrigued to hear what happened to the certainty that Gareth was participating in his last two games, and how our friend Marlow does not "speculate"

So one of 3 options

1) Gareth was lined up for QPR and something changed
    2) Gareth's "move" is to someone not yet specified - although QPR was pretty much named
    3) Marlow was sold a kipper by whoever is tipping him off, and totally wrong.

• I thought we had agreed that Stroud had kidnapped Gareth, thus preventing him from meeting up with the QPR hierarchy!

• Ah, so "option 1", the perennial cry of the ITK.

"Something changed" honest!