Skip to content

Wycombe's Released List

124»

Comments

• My beef (for the want of a better term) with your posts on this subject @DevC is that you are "sentencing" Mr Harman effectively based on mostly social media, supposition and assumption.
    I have formed my opinion on talking to some of the parties, (both sides), directly involved in the process. You have historicaly been negative of everything "Harman" without talking directly to either him or his confidants yet, predominantly, lay the blame of our current financial predicament at his door, from 250 miles away! By the way, I don't recall, (though don't mind being corrected), on actually expressing an opinion, other than championing that Mr Harman being given an ear?
    Makes me wonder why we bother with a judicial system, when we can just have a "trial by forum"? Save the country a fortune.

• Fair enough @bookertease . Let’s leave it there.

On a more positive note on a sad day,
    I agree with @StrongestTeam that Tottenhams heroics following on so closely from Liverpool’s are an extraordinary reminder of why footie is such a great game and I have to say I did have a little giggle at what I presume is a typo at the end of @Right_in_the_Middle ‘s post.

• I also buy @bookertease's theory - the Americans had been negotiating over the purchase since the Tottenham match in Jan 2017. A few more months would not have scuppered their interest, especially as the board did so much to kibosh the Harman bid, which they definitively did long before the Americans pulled out. Far more likely was they read the runes on here and through their agents; saw how unlikely they were to get over the 75% threshold and pulled out. I imagine that's why we never saw a fully-fleshed-out proposal... it could well have just provided ammunition for those who were opposed to the deal (here I accept having Harman as a prodigal son returning would not have helped - but I'm not sure he can be criticised for providing an alternative option; Americans do like a free market after all). Alternatively, maybe they decided it would just cost too much to overhaul the club behind the scenes and improve the playing staff enough to get us into the Championship.

Anyway, they're gone... until they come back to reclaim their £500k in December.

Given that significant constraint on our budget I'm surprised to see Bayo offered a new contract. I suspect it will be significantly less than what he's on at the moment and as a consequence he'll reject it and head off to the States - maybe our Americans will invest in a MLS franchise instead and sign him up.

The player I'm most sad to see go is Michael Harriman, exactly the sort of experienced, enthusiastic utility man we'll need next season.

I saw a tweet this afternoon from Ben Mayhew which showed we had the oldest team in League One. I suspect it will look very different next year. Hopefully we can sign half a dozen O'Nein types from Premier League academies and all will be well in the world...

• Thank you to all the released players that put themselves out there for the club, and hope that you land smoothly in terms of finding a new team. Had hoped particularly that PCH and Harriman might stay, but cost cuts are what they are.

• Say what you like about @DevC , and I've had a few cracks before, but he certainly keeps a level of dignity when all and sundry are getting personal and lippy.

• I find it hard to believe that one look at the gasroom told them they would not get the 75%...almost everyone I spoke to (obviously not bright or up to date enough to be gasroomers) were going to vote for and had no idea there was much opposition. Perhaps like beery Nigel we believe we are more influential than we actually are!

• I know we are like great and everything but I cant be the only one who looked around the football league and thought 'WHY US?' can i ? I never really understood that...

• @glasshalfempty said:
    Excellent post @Tom

No surprises in that statement and it's a sensible approach to take over the summer.

@Glenactico What makes you think we couldn’t afford to offer Michael Harriman a new deal?

I may have misread the statement but it seems to me that we didn’t offer him a contract. I may be wrong and he has simply turned it down and/or indicated he would prefer to play elsewhere.

• It'd seem surprising if we did offer him a deal, bearing in mind we "apparently" offered him the chance to go in January, and bar the 6 or so game run back in the team at the end of the season, he was on the real fringes.

• Have only just seen your comments on the released players @Malone. Totally agree with them.

I sat on the same table as Michael and Amy at the 500 Club dinner last season but, being a little Mutt and Jeff and sitting several seats away, was not able to engage in the conversation. Several weeks later, I saw a young lady standing behind an estate car holding what, as I approached, appeared to be a collecting can. Moments later I embarrassed myself by being about to put some silver coins in what turned out to be a can of Coca Cola. I then compounded the felony by saying she looked very much like Michael Harriman’s wife. You can probably guess the rest but we had a good laugh and you are right - they are indeed a delightful couple and I understand they are expecting their second child next month. We wish them all the very best. Their departure will be a loss to the Wycombe Homeless Connection as well, of course.

• Michael was offered a new contract back in January however decided against renewing. Any Harriman confirmed this both earlier in the season and again on the final day on the season. I for one am sad to see him go however understand his frustration around the lack of involvement.

• edited May 2019

@aloysius , I see Bayo's cost referenced quite a lot, but it seems to overlook some key details.
    Namely, that we're located fairly decently for where he lives, and that we apparently allow him to train/do his media commitments quite a lot.

I'd imagine those two factors are massively key to our appeal and may well allow us to pay less than others, who'd be less flexible would.
    Otherwise he'd surely have gone to America or China previously!

• At 2 separate games last season I stood next to people who were in attendance purely to see Akinfenwa play

• @eric_plant there were at least two separate games last season I was in attendance purely to see you

• @Glenactico said:

@glasshalfempty said:
    Excellent post @Tom

No surprises in that statement and it's a sensible approach to take over the summer.

@Glenactico What makes you think we couldn’t afford to offer Michael Harriman a new deal?

I may have misread the statement but it seems to me that we didn’t offer him a contract. I may be wrong and he has simply turned it down and/or indicated he would prefer to play elsewhere.

See below:

@Bracknellblue said:
    Michael was offered a new contract back in January however decided against renewing. Any Harriman confirmed this both earlier in the season and again on the final day on the season. I for one am sad to see him go however understand his frustration around the lack of involvement.

• It's intriguing why we'd be offering a contract to a player who at that stage of the season was struggling to get near the team.

Brings up many questions regarding Gape. Did we try, did he rebut us, maybe expecting a move to materialise? Did we just think we'd deal with it at the end of the season? Did we lack the money to even renew/improve his deal?

• Trouble is if you listen to any Harriman you may get a misleading answer. I did momentarily think @Bracknellblue was referring to Andy Harman as the unlikely source of what was private and personal information.

• So to conclude, Andy Harriman was offered a contract in Jan, despite not playing much, and was so surprised that he backed out of his potential takeover, having first ruined the saviour Americans' bid.

Potentially due to the backlash from the fans for pulling out, he was then not offered a contract, as nice a fellow as he was with the volunteering.

• But where does Amy Handywoman stand in all this?

• hope you don't mean cutting the playing budget that's very low as it is if it true ours is similar to Accrington Stanley's .

• But why don't we just whack a bit of money out eh Trev?

After all, a few years ago we sold a guy